The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   December 27, 2006: Nigerian gas explosion outcome [very graphic] (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12926)

Undertoad 12-27-2006 09:59 AM

December 27, 2006: Nigerian gas explosion outcome [very graphic]

http://cellar.org/2006/nigeriangasexplosion.jpg

The IotD for April 10 2006 was Nigerians gathering gasoline with any available vessel, after a pipeline break. At the time we speculated on what would happen if someone was smoking around the break. Someone figured the fuel was diesel and therefore a little safer.

Maybe that one was, but not this one. 260 Nigerians are thought to be dead, as a result of a gas spill exploding after vandals broke into a pipeline there yesterday.

Of a quick review of a Google news search for the terms nigerian gas explosion, very few sites are willing to carry this graphic shot of the outcome. I don't generally pick items because they're graphic, but in this case we have documented the practice of gas theivery eight months ago, and this shot completes the story.

Flint 12-27-2006 10:11 AM

!!!

Quote:

glatt Monday Apr 10 12:14 PM
What an amazing image. The first thing I thought of when I saw that image is a flash fire engulfing all those people. It would be so easy for that to ignite. It's scary.

glatt 12-27-2006 10:11 AM

Thanks for posting this. I heard about this in the news, but there were no pictures. I thought of the old thread.

You just have to shake your head. The sad thing is that it will almost certainly happen again.

Elspode 12-27-2006 10:39 AM

Sadly, these pipeline "breaks" are seldom failures in the pipeline, but more often than not the result of intentional acts. Energy is a valuable commodity, and relatively easy to steal. There have been other such tragic events, and there will be more, as long as people are poor and there is gasoline flowing through their communities and accessible backcountry pipelines.

Inappropriate fashion comment: the dude's green and blue outfit is *awesome*.

Flint 12-27-2006 10:44 AM

you insensitive bastard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode

Sundae 12-27-2006 12:07 PM

Thanks very much for showing it - I wouldn't have gone looking for it, but I would have been curious all the same. It's human nature I guess - look at the crowd it drew in real life after all.

Horrible tragedy, but was obviously waiting to happen and it won't be the last.

I feel for the families of the dead - and hope there aren't too many injured. Having been on a burns ward in England I shudder to think how Nigeria's hospitals would could with an influx of severe burns.

Ibby 12-27-2006 12:48 PM

must not comment on before and after colours... must not comment on before and after colours... must not comment on before and after colours... must not comment on before and after colours...

Flint 12-27-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
... must not comment on before and after colours...

Message from Godministrator, @Ibram: You are banned, from life.

Trilby 12-27-2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode

It's important to find the positive in any situation, els. ;)

(for those who are Humor Impaired, the above comment is a joke and in no way intended to negate the human component and horror of this tragedy)

Flint 12-27-2006 03:47 PM

you insensitive bastard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
(for those who are Humor Impaired, the above comment is a joke and in no way intended to negate the human component and horror of this tragedy)

rkzenrage 12-27-2006 03:53 PM

Does no one think to bury these lines?

chrisinhouston 12-27-2006 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are from other news sources, both are intersting as well, good composition on the second one.

As bad as the charred bodies are, at least they are dead. Can you imagine the ones who survived? Burn injuries are the most painful. :sniff:

The bodies remind me of the ones I saw at Pompei many years ago.

Spexxvet 12-27-2006 03:55 PM

Burying them costs more than 260 Nigerian lives, apparently.

rkzenrage 12-27-2006 03:58 PM

Why so many lives to bury the lines, mines? Were they burying the lines... I did not get that... I got that they were stealing the fuel from it.

Flint 12-27-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
The bodies remind me of the ones I saw at Pompei many years ago.

That was my first, thought too. I've only seen pictures, but I was a kid and it stuck with me...