The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   September 12, 2006: Topless Madonna protester [NSFW] [NSFAnybody] (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11725)

Undertoad 09-12-2006 09:23 AM

September 12, 2006: Topless Madonna protester [NSFW] [NSFAnybody]

http://cellar.org/2006/madonnaprotest.jpg

Naked protest has been an IotD staple before, but after a while there was too much of it and it sorta became played out. And then it went away for a while, except for PETA girls in cages. This one is more curious.

The shot is from a Spanish news site, 20minutos.es, so the official caption reads Un mujer con una cruz y la palabra "Libertad" escrita en su pecho es llevada por la policía en una protesta contra Madonna, en Ámsterdam. Una escena del show de la cantante en la que está colgada de una cruz levanta controversia entre los cristianos holandeses.

Babelfish translates: A woman with a cross and the word "Freedom" written in her chest is taken by the police in a protest against Madonna, in Amsterdam. A scene of the show of the singer in whom it is hung of a cross raises controversy between the Dutch Christians.

I think I got it. But there are a few cultural oddities here which I don't get.

How is it that this person is protesting Madonna's weird attention-seeking mix of the cross and sexuality... by putting on a cross and flashing 'em?

Is it protest because she's, you know, kind of nasty-lookin' as compared to Madonna? Or because she does it in public as opposed to on stage?

How does "freedom" relate to all this?

And lastly, er, is that a man?

Trilby 09-12-2006 09:39 AM

See, I'm very self-conscious and could never go about in public with my girl bits hanging out like that--clearly not a problem this, er, woman has. Perhaps she is saying, "the freedom of Christs love lets me love my body! I'm no slave to culturally mandated definitions of beauty!" Or, maybe she's just a complete nut riding in on Madonna's coattails.

Shawnee123 09-12-2006 09:43 AM

Sheesh, I got reprimanded for an ice cream photo that was considered nsfw and wasn't in that thread. I see in the title it's nsfw but I didn't see that title until after clicking on the link to the thread on the right side of the screen. Then it was too late. Luckily, I have my own office and no one was here!

Now, having said that, I would like to end with:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, gross!

RellikLaerec 09-12-2006 09:45 AM

Did you know that it is legal in the state of Ohio for a woman to go topless in public? That's why ya see so many "No Shirt, No shoes, No service signs everywhere!

Oh and GO BUCK!

Shawnee123 09-12-2006 10:04 AM

Hell, I didn't know that.

Wait, I'm getting funny looks from my coworkers. I told them it was legal but they seem to think I should put my shirt back on.

mlandman 09-12-2006 10:21 AM

yuck

only young attractive women should be naked in public.

There, I said it.

Now, please let me obtain some bleach to scrub my eyes with.

Shawnee123 09-12-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlandman

There, I said it.

I didn't know you worked here! :p

Nietzman 09-12-2006 10:34 AM

Hi. Dutchie here.

It's quite simple actually, Babelfish screwed up or the Spaniards didn't get it right. This woman is protesting the Christian protesters.

http://www.ikonrtv.nl/kerknieuws/nieuws.asp?oId=9531
Quote:

Preceding the first of two concerts of Madonna in Amsterdams Arena yesterday, the police arrested a half-naked woman who was scanting explicit lyrics and wearing a cross.

According do indymedia the woman is an anti-SGP activist. (The SGP is our countries most fundamentally Christian party.) "This protest is against stronger growing attempts from Christian fundamentalist to constrain freedom of cultural expression"

Spexxvet 09-12-2006 10:38 AM

All women should go naked all the time. Sing with me! "Every breast is beauuuuuuutiful, in its own way".

As for that woman wearing a man's head: if she's gonna protest like she's being crucified, use real nails, dammit!

Trilby 09-12-2006 11:02 AM

Hi, Dutchie. Thanks for the real translation! Welcome to the Cellar! *waves*

wolf 09-12-2006 11:03 AM

I thought this was going to be a protest against religious idolatry rather than an overrated singer.

Instead, it's a protest against religion.

Interesting.

Welcome, Nietzman.

Sundae 09-12-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlandman

There, I said it.

OUCH! It's a protest, not a pageant.
If I pass the bleach for you, you won't be bothered by sights like this again :)

xoxoxoBruce 09-12-2006 11:55 AM

They had to send police women.......the guys wouldn't arrest her.

It's not a protest against religion, it's against politically aggressive fundamentalists.

Thanks Nietzman, also welcome. :D

Elspode 09-12-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
It's not a protest against religion, it's against politically aggressive fundamentalists.

Right on. Let's see some more of that kind of thing.

BTW, not all women are externally beautiful. Neither are all men. However, beauty is a sum, not a fraction. If you take up with a person based solely on their external appearances, you're asking for major life trouble.

Hell, if all women cared about was looks (and I've said this before here), I'd still be a virgin.

xoxoxoBruce 09-12-2006 12:06 PM

Well, you're two for three....we all know you're the studly rockstar type. :D