The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Worst city you've been to...? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16082)

Kitsune 11-30-2007 02:57 PM

Worst city you've been to...?

I had the pleasure of dealing with some sales goons at the office over the past couple weeks and, since they travel so much, the conversation always seemed to drift to their experiences around the country and what cities they enjoyed the most with the seemingly most important factors being weather, traffic, and food. For fun, I inquired what the worst city they had ever been to was.

"New Jersey."
"New Jersey's not a city."
"Any city in New Jersey."

The other seasoned traveler agreed, leaving me rather surprised that neither of them said "Detroit". Many years ago, I would have answered "Pittsburgh", but I've heard that place is no longer as I remember it and the stink of sulfur from the mills is pretty much gone. It'd probably come down to any of the dozen tiny towns I've passed through on the highway that no one will know.

So, what is the most unpleasant city you've been to and why?

glatt 11-30-2007 04:23 PM

A lot depends on timing and frame of mind.

For a while, I would have said NYC, but then I had a few trips there that were a blast.

busterb 11-30-2007 04:30 PM

Warri, Nigeria

Undertoad 11-30-2007 04:40 PM

Small city division: Gary, IN
Big city division: Detroit, MI
New Jersey division: Camden, NJ

Cloud 11-30-2007 04:45 PM

Compton, CA and Tijuana come to mind (but that may be the circumstances I was in at the time).

Also . . . Mexico City. Before about the mid-70s I was there a lot, and it used to be beautiful, but later than that I hit my tolerance for pollution and crime and sheer mass of people.

Quarantine 11-30-2007 04:55 PM

Bradford, England
I've only been there once about 20 years ago. It was raining and I got assaulted, so that has probably influenced my decision.

slang 11-30-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune (Post 412225)
So, what is the most unpleasant city you've been to and why?

That's a good thread question for sure.

I've been in so many truly horrible places in the last 4 months that anyplace in the US seems quite pleasant in contrast.

Then again, it's been a long time since I was in Jersey. :D

shina 11-30-2007 09:34 PM

Has to be Tokyo. Nice but way too crowded.

xoxoxoBruce 11-30-2007 10:14 PM

Wecome to the Cellar, Quarantine.:D
Bradford's in the middle, isn't it?

Clodfobble 11-30-2007 10:42 PM

Dublin, Ireland. The stench of vehicle exhaust was constant, detectable even inside the buildings. Also, one of the people with us got robbed.

I've actually been to New Jersey too, but I was about 8 years old, so I may not have been aware of how bad it was. I know we spent most of our time in the suburbs though, so in my experience Dublin was still way worse.

Cloud 11-30-2007 10:44 PM

interesting how negative experiences, not merely the city itself, impact our choices

jinx 11-30-2007 10:48 PM

Montreal, then Boston or Oakland. Wait, no, New Jersey.

LJ 11-30-2007 11:28 PM

every once in a while, i get detoured off of admiral wilson blvd into camden.....

thats some fucked up shit.

coatesville was no picnic either

ZenGum 12-01-2007 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shina (Post 412309)
Has to be Tokyo. Nice but way too crowded.

Tokyo, crowded? Myth.

Attachment 15995

Sundae 12-02-2007 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 412317)
Bradford's in the middle, isn't it?

We call it the North, but if you look at a picture of Britain it's pretty much in the middle (the top is Scotland you see)

I am very fond of Bradford, as is Dana (it's on her doorstep) - here's her pictures.

I agree it's all down to personal perception. Any place can seem grim in the wrong circumstances. That said, I don't think I even have a worst city. I dislike some of the suburbs of London, but that's about it.