The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

TheMercenary 04-20-2010 06:26 PM

I don't want you to think this a total dig on you, more so what the attitude is (not that I need to tell you this). But somewhere there is a grey area. For some that is the width of a street, for others the width of the Channel. In that area lays both personal responsibility and Government responsibility. IMHO, in this country we have fostered and developed generations of people dependent on public assistance. We are seeing a resurgence with the latest roles of unemployment. People have just given up. Obama will save them. It is a false notion.

DanaC 04-20-2010 06:30 PM

i agree, there is definately a grey area. There's a point at which assistance ceases to be paliative and begins to form the central foundation of someone's life. At that point it is clear something has gone badly wrong.

Where i suspect we differ is in our response to that grey area.

jinx 04-20-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 650414)
Ok. I see we've stepped away from pleasant and into downright insulting.

We? Speak for yourself.
I'm trying to have a conversation about whether it makes sense to legalize opiates and you start shouting about the evils of my government, as if I'm in charge. Get over yourself and try to follow the plot.

DanaC 04-20-2010 06:44 PM

fair enough. Ignore anything I say at the moment. I'm really not myself.

i just had a stand up row with someone on the BF forum about girls and gaming. *shrugs* I am a heartbeat away from rage or tears at any given moment. I tried to explain that last night, but I probably didn;t do it very well :P

jinx 04-20-2010 06:47 PM

Does BF = Breast Feeding? Because that would explain everything...

DanaC 04-20-2010 06:48 PM

lol
no BF = Big Finish

squirell nutkin 04-20-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 650439)
Does BF = Breast Feeding? Because that would explain everything...

The nursing mom defense. I'm still hearing it nearly two years after weaning...;)

HungLikeJesus 04-20-2010 08:53 PM

I'm glad to hear that you've been weaned, squirell. I bet you've got sharp teeth.

Bruce 9012 04-20-2010 09:06 PM

I would like to start a thread. The site says I'm enabled I know I'm looking in the wrong area,.Need some help .....the thread will be about....

Clodfobble 04-20-2010 09:30 PM

Bruce, go back to main page, pick a forum (Home Base, Nothingland, etc.) and then click the "New Thread" button towards the top left of the page.

Bruce 9012 04-20-2010 09:49 PM

Thanks Clodfobble, I will try to make the thread interesting, also funny.

squirell nutkin 04-20-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce 9012 (Post 650472)
Thanks Clodfobble, I will try to make the thread interesting, also funny.

It doesn't get much better than that around here. Well, boobs are good too.

xoxoxoBruce 04-20-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 650428)
IMHO, in this country we have fostered and developed generations of people dependent on public assistance. We are seeing a resurgence with the latest roles of unemployment. People have just given up. Obama will save them. It is a false notion.

One has nothing to do with the other. The welfare crowd isn't worried about becoming unemployed, they already are. The millions of people who've been throw out of work are depending on unemployment insurance, as we always have. That doesn't mean they are not looking for work. Yes, they are looking to our President, because they know they probably won't find work until the economy picks up. That's what they hear from employers and the media, and our President seems to be the only one that's trying to do anything about it.

Shawnee123 04-21-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 650509)
One has nothing to do with the other. The welfare crowd isn't worried about becoming unemployed, they already are. The millions of people who've been throw out of work are depending on unemployment insurance, as we always have. That doesn't mean they are not looking for work. Yes, they are looking to our President, because they know they probably won't find work until the economy picks up. That's what they hear from employers and the media, and our President seems to be the only one that's trying to do anything about it.

Bravo.

Yeah, our societal responsibility (as Dana so eloquently put it) is nothing new. It's not as if Obama came into office and everyone voluntarily quit working and went on unemployment, amid shouts of "YAY, we can loll about now! Woo hooo! I LOVES some struggles."

Shawnee123 04-21-2010 03:50 PM

Oh, well...my brother told me about the episode. Would've thought the bear suit would make it OK.

Nooooooooooooo, it's not a THREAT, per se.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...k-muslims.html