The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

sexobon 06-04-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1053543)
.. Like, "Celebration" just played in between ABCs (Jackson Five, technically, but I say it counts) and "Eat It," ...

Wait just a Weird Al minute there young lady.

Clodfobble 06-04-2020 11:28 PM

Ha! Admittedly, I know more lyrics to the Weird Al version.

Gravdigr 06-05-2020 02:59 PM

What's mildly irritating you today?

Gout. In my right big toe.

BigV 06-05-2020 06:17 PM

Maximum sympathy brother.

I actually thought I broke my toe... In my sleep (sleep walking and kicking big rocks with my bare sleeping feet???)

monster 06-05-2020 08:24 PM

I changed out the leader hose on my hose reel, and somehow shredded my right thumb and first two fingers although I can't figure out how, couldn't find any sharp bits. Son had to come help, h emerged unscathed. My skin is thin but.... :( Now eveything I touch smarts. Especially potato chips. and the mouse.

(it exploded with out warning yesterday, I happened to be sat right by it in a place I don't normally sit, and fortunately/unbelievably didn't get showered, but was able to turn the water off so we didn't wake to a flood and huge water bill ....no good luck goes unrevenged, I guess....)

Carruthers 06-06-2020 05:46 AM

What happened to ed?

I have noticed that the final syllable 'ed' seems to have disappeared from a number of words.

I have seen examples such as:

I am not bias.

He is vex.

They are prejudice.

The Bucks Free Press, not a noted journal of record, included the headline 'Woman who text police officer to offer him drugs is jailed...'

Last but not least is 'use' as in 'I use to go'.

I do not profess papal infallibility when it comes to the use of English, either spoken or written, but atleast I try to get it right and am successful alot of the time.

DanaC 06-06-2020 06:43 AM

I think that maybe an element of patois creeping in via the youthdem

Clodfobble 06-06-2020 08:51 AM

Notice all of those words end in an S sound ("text" technically ends in a T, but I'd argue the T sound already disappeared in deference to the S sound before it a while ago.)

Anything hard to pronounce gets weeded out of language like a bad evolutionary mutation. I once did narration on an educational program with fractions, and was told to stop clearly pronouncing the words because the kids wouldn't understand. So it was "sikss" for "sixths," "fiths" for "fifths," etc. "Fourths" was already replaced everywhere with "quarters," which I found oddly infuriating.

Carruthers 06-06-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1053639)
Anything hard to pronounce gets weeded out of language like a bad evolutionary mutation.
I once did narration on an educational program with fractions, and was told to stop clearly pronouncing the words because the kids wouldn't understand.
So it was "sikss" for "sixths," "fiths" for "fifths," etc.
"Fourths" was already replaced everywhere with "quarters," which I found oddly infuriating.

I don't think that I have ever seen or heard 'fourths' used instead of quarters, on this side of the Atlantic, although it has the merit of consistency.

Just my 25c worth.

Griff 06-06-2020 11:05 AM

I see what you did there.

sexobon 06-06-2020 11:47 AM

To play off of putting in one's two cents, one could also represent a quarter by saying: Just my two bits worth.

(e.g. Shave and a haircut, two bits.)

monster 06-06-2020 01:07 PM

we don't want to hear about your two bits.

It was very weird to move here and hearing people use "one fourth" or "three fourths" instead of quarters. Like stepping back in time. (Then I realized that was the least of my worries in that respect).

I still won't do it. I'll even use "gotten" sometimes but I haven't sunk to saying fourth instead of quarter. Yet.

Gravdigr 06-06-2020 03:50 PM

But, four quarters don't make a whole.

Four quarters makes a dollar.

:D

monster 06-06-2020 06:02 PM

Four Quarters make a Hole if you leave them in your pocket long enough.

monster 06-06-2020 06:06 PM

Things that sting when you have multiple tiny but bloody lacerations on your fingers and thumb:

chips/crisps
a COVID quality soapy hand wash
chopping onions
sunblock
citronella oil for torches