The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   November 11, 2011 Sharif (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26283)

CaliforniaMama 11-11-2011 08:53 AM

November 11, 2011 Sharif

http://cellar.org/2011/11dogs_650.jpg

This soldier lost his leg in Baghdad. In Washington, he found a new leg and a new companion, Sharif.

Sharif, a yellow lab, knows 40 commands.
Quote:

In addition to retrieving dropped objects and helping with balance, the dog barks only in an emergency, and the neighbors know that.
Photo by Alan Poizner for The New York Times

infinite monkey 11-11-2011 09:23 AM

I want to snuggle that doggy's face off!

SPUCK 11-12-2011 05:23 AM

Well that dog know about 38 more commands than my dog..

DanaC 11-12-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 771995)
I want to snuggle that doggy's face off!

I know right. That nose needs kissing.

Trilby 11-12-2011 06:08 AM

That dog knows 40 more commands than my kid does.

I'll trade.

CaliforniaMama 11-12-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 772193)
I know right. That nose needs kissing.

As does the nose of everyone who has served in any capacity in the U.S. Military - virtual kiss, that is.

(Sorry non-U.S.ers.)

In my ignorance I must ask, does any other country celebrate Armistice Day?

GunMaster357 11-12-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama (Post 772234)
As does the nose of everyone who has served in any capacity in the U.S. Military - virtual kiss, that is.

(Sorry non-U.S.ers.)

In my ignorance I must ask, does any other country celebrate Armistice Day?

Yes, it is celebrated here in France.

footfootfoot 11-12-2011 03:08 PM

Sharif don't like it.
He thinks it's not kosher
Fundamentally he can't take it.
You know he really hates it.

ZenGum 11-12-2011 04:30 PM

Armistice day is marked here, often with with one minute silence at 11.11 am.

Every veteran deserves a dog to stare at him(/her) like that.

Gravdigr 11-12-2011 04:38 PM

Yeah, talk about "the big, sad, soulful eyes" routine...

orthodoc 11-12-2011 09:31 PM

Armistice Day is called Remembrance Day in Canada; celebrated with ceremonies and a minute of silence at 11:11 am. We used to stand by our desks at school and observe the minute of silence (long ago).

DanaC 11-13-2011 03:50 AM

We usually call it Remembrance Day or Poppy Day, but its also called Armistice Day.

We call it Poppy Day because the British Legion always sell poppies at that time to raise money for the support they give to injured servicemen and their families. Originally the poppies were only sold on the day itself, nowadays they're sold for a couple of weeks ahead of time. People wear them in their lapels as a mark of respect.

Can't recall for sure, but I think the paper poppies were made by ex-servicemen, thereby also providing work for some injured soldiers. Not sure if that's still the case.

We actually have two days really. The actual day itself (11/11) when there is a minute's silence at 11am. And the following Sunday, which is when all the services are held - Remembrance Sunday.

Carruthers 11-13-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Can't recall for sure, but I think the paper poppies were made by ex-servicemen, thereby also providing work for some injured soldiers. Not sure if that's still the case.
Spot on DanaC. I had a feeling that it was in Twickenham but it turns out that it is just a couple of miles away in Richmond. The Poppy Factory

Clodfobble 11-13-2011 06:24 PM

Therapy dogs are awesome. There's a small business here in town that trains and places them with a variety of patients, including the mentally disabled, elderly, and veterans. All their dogs are rescued from shelters, and they say they can spot a dog with the "right temperament" almost immediately, but it only amounts to about 5% of dogs overall. Cost is $1200 for one of their dogs, which is amazingly cheap when you think about it.

CaliforniaMama 11-13-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 772412)
We call it Poppy Day because the British Legion always sell poppies at that time to raise money for the support they give to injured servicemen and their families. Originally the poppies were only sold on the day itself, nowadays they're sold for a couple of weeks ahead of time. People wear them in their lapels as a mark of respect.

I remember those! The vets used to be around selling those everywhere. I wonder why they don't do it anymore.