The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Horrible Movies, Outstanding Performances (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13948)

Perry Winkle 04-21-2007 02:39 PM

Horrible Movies, Outstanding Performances

"Made in America" (1993) Ted Danson, Whoopi Goldberg, Nia Long, Will Smith.

This is one of the worst movies ever. Sweet premise, horrible story. However, Will Smith steals the show, especially in the scene where he asks himself out and turns himself down.

duck_duck 04-21-2007 02:44 PM

I thought Gangs of New York was a horrible movie. It was too bloody and too long but Daniel Day-Lewis did a wonderful performance.

Clodfobble 04-21-2007 04:54 PM

Opposite of the thread topic: Lord of War was an excellent movie overall but Nicholas Cage sucks ass. I know it would seem impossible since he's the lead character, but the movie really does shine beyond his cheesy acting.

Perry Winkle 04-21-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 336244)
Opposite of the thread topic: Lord of War was an excellent movie overall but Nicholas Cage sucks ass.

Agreed. Who do you think would do a better job?

Ibby 04-21-2007 06:47 PM

Nicholas Cage has only ever really shined in one movie.

Raising Arizona.

After that, I can't watch him in any other movie. When he tries to be serious, he just can't act.

duck_duck 04-21-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 336262)
Nicholas Cage has only ever really shined in one movie.

Raising Arizona.

After that, I can't watch him in any other movie. When he tries to be serious, he just can't act.

I thought he was good in The Family Man and Leaving Las Vegas.

Clodfobble 04-21-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant
Agreed. Who do you think would do a better job?

Dunno. I'm not good with imagining casting. Just about anybody, really. :)

Cloud 04-21-2007 08:04 PM

I liked Nicholas Gage in Moonlighting. But Cher was better. :)

Eragon. Jeremy Irons.

bluecuracao 04-21-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 336279)
I liked Nicholas Gage in Moonlighting. But Cher was better. :)

You mean Moonstruck! Moonlighting was a great TV show with Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd. :)

Cloud 04-21-2007 11:24 PM

Moonstruck, duh. Yeah!

Aliantha 04-22-2007 03:02 AM

Stop bagging Nicky baby. He's such a spunk! One of my favourite actors although mostly for the perv. I thought he was great in Con Air, but he has become very badly typecast.

Someone else I love perving at is the guy who played aragorn in lotr. I forget his name now and can't be bothered looking it up, but you know who I mean.

bluecuracao 04-22-2007 03:26 AM

Viggo Mortensen! Yum!

Perry Winkle 04-22-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 336353)
Someone else I love perving at is the guy who played aragorn in lotr. I forget his name now and can't be bothered looking it up, but you know who I mean.

Viggo is pretty badass in "A History of Violence." Anybody who can run a few miles the day after getting stabbed in the foot is a scary motherfucker.

DanaC 04-22-2007 10:27 AM

One of my favourite actors is routinely in very bad films.

Dead Man Walking.....no not the the well known hollywood film, the little known sci-fi, apocalyptic-future movie. Awful flm....Jeffrey Combs was, as ever, superb.

From Beyond.....possibly one of the worst [best?] horror films ever made, but worth watching for Jeffrey Combs. He delivers one of my favourite ever movie lines in that film.

"It bit off his head.....like he was a gingerbread man"

freshnesschronic 04-22-2007 12:57 PM

Great movie--The Matrix I and II (but III's ending puts it to shame)
Bad actor-- Keanuuuuuuuuuuuu duh