The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Celebrity death that bummed you out the most... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7716)

Elspode 03-29-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Crowded House drummer is dead.

The Finn Brothers were just in Lawrence a few weeks ago. I really wanted to go see them, but noooo....

Beestie 05-18-2005 01:45 PM

The final riddle was answered today for Frank Gorshin who played the Riddler in the 60's series Batman. He was really perfect for that part.

http://www.21stcenturyschools.com/riddle1.jpg

dar512 05-18-2005 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
The final riddle was answered today for Frank Gorshin who played the Riddler in the 60's series Batman. He was really perfect for that part.

Also played in one of my favorite Star Trek (original) shows - Let That Be Your Last Battlefield - a comment on racial prejudice and hatred.

Beestie 05-18-2005 02:29 PM

Grave Danger, the May 19th season finale of CSI will be a special two-hour episode written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and features big names such as John Saxon and Tony Curtis as well as Frank Gorshin's final acting role.

My PVR is on high alert. 8pm EST but double check.

wolf 05-18-2005 02:44 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the early start for CSI this week!

As much as I enjoyed him in Planet Earth (A Gene Roddenberry Pilot and follow up to Genesis II), and as an evil robot and, later in the series (apparently after three years we forget that he played someone else) an alien on The Six Million Dollar Man and the kindly dad/cop in multiple Nightmare on Elm Street, I don't know that "big" is a word I'd use to describe John Saxon. Great Character Actor, yeah ...

Happy Monkey 05-18-2005 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
Also played in one of my favorite Star Trek (original) shows - Let That Be Your Last Battlefield - a comment on racial prejudice and hatred.

:blkwht: :whtblk:

:weird:
:question::thumbsup:

Elspode 05-18-2005 04:08 PM

Gorshin was a mainstay on variety and talk shows in the 70's. He did an absolutely dead-on Kirk Douglas and Edward G. Robinson. He was also on the Ed Sullivan show on the same night that The Beatles made their US TV debut.

Frank Gorshin was a damn funny man, a gifted impressionist, and a great entertainer of the old school.

xoxoxoBruce 05-18-2005 05:05 PM

Holy shit! I'd completely forgotten Gorshin was an impressionist. :smack:

Philosopher 05-27-2005 05:26 AM

Didja ever see him imitate Cagney?

Now THAT was perfection.

Philosopher 05-27-2005 05:43 AM

Rod Serling, writer of many a fine drama, most of which were award winning in his day and are kinda rare to find today. Best known as creator of the Twilight Zone series, the first one, in the early sixties. I grieve he died suddenly on an operating room table, way too young, before I could shake his hand. Looking back, after my faith and my parents and grandparents, he did more for the way I look at the world and people than any other single person in my life, because of the the things he invited me to think through at such an early age. <deep bow>

Lady Sidhe 05-27-2005 12:42 PM

Vincent Price. I know he was almost as old as Dick Clark, but I loved all his old horror movies, and he had a great voice for them.

Philosopher 05-27-2005 03:28 PM

Lady Sidhe, for a great treat, find a copy of Price's film "Champagne for Caesar". You may have to buy it used on Amazon if no videostore in your area has it. But under $20 used, it's a bargain you'll want to pass around the family. : )

Absolutely delightful.

busterb 05-27-2005 05:34 PM

None of them. Because they live in a "dream" world

Lady Sidhe 05-28-2005 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philosopher
Lady Sidhe, for a great treat, find a copy of Price's film "Champagne for Caesar". You may have to buy it used on Amazon if no videostore in your area has it. But under $20 used, it's a bargain you'll want to pass around the family. : )

Absolutely delightful.

I'll look for it. Thanks!

mrnoodle 06-15-2005 12:10 PM

Lane Smith has died. He's that guy in movies and TV shows that makes you go, "Hey, it's that one guy...what was he in?"