The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is a reasonable length of time for a shower? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18454)

Pico and ME 10-17-2008 01:00 PM

What is a reasonable length of time for a shower?

I've been the bad guy lately because I'm trying to get everyone to cut down on their shower time. Just trying to save a few pennies here and there, but also, the boys like to take 20 to 30 minute showers! They treat them like saunas. I take the shortest shower of them all...usually no more than 7 minutes. Now I start to get really ancy when their shower time starts to exceed 10 minutes.

I know my control freak is really showing here. What do you think is reasonable?

Pie 10-17-2008 01:07 PM

Mine's about 15 minutes.

glatt 10-17-2008 01:07 PM

Depends on how many people are waiting, how much time there is, and how big the tank is.

On the weekend, I'll take a nice long hot shower, maybe 30 minutes.

During the week, it's about 10-15 minutes.

I think once you get over 20, it's getting unreasonable.

When I was in high school, my brother would take long showers in the morning and use up all the hot water before I would get a chance, so I would go down into the basement and turn the hot water valve off on him when he was in the shower too long. I had to stop doing it to him though. He would return the favor when I was in there.

Cicero 10-17-2008 01:08 PM

30 minute bath. That's reasonable for me...As for your boys...10 minutes sounds like more than enough time to me.

I don't bathe every day either. I bathe every other day unless I'm especially dirty.

glatt 10-17-2008 01:10 PM

Oh, um, how old are the boys? Some things in the shower take a little time. :sadsperm:

Clodfobble 10-17-2008 01:13 PM

I probably take about ten minutes, not including the time getting dressed and stuff afterwards. It's longer on days when I shave. Mr. Clod takes more like 15-20 minutes, but he does a full scrubbing regimen on his face that I don't have to do, and he gets distracted easily. Plus, I've learned over the years that the morning shower is an important psychological time for him, where he mentally goes over the day and such, and if he's rushed the whole day is guaranteed to be off for him.

But the kids... well, the stepdaughter used to take at least 30 minutes, but it wasn't deliberate, it was because she's always had a really hard time staying on task. I'd go in to check on her and she'd be just standing there staring at the tiles or something. She's gotten a little better as she's gotten older, and now at age 10 she probably takes about 20-25 minutes. The 6 year old boy is probably about the same. I think it depends on the age of your boys, but realistically there are some things younger kids just can't do as fast. It really comes down to whether they're just slow, or they're purposely luxuriating.

HungLikeJesus 10-17-2008 01:13 PM

I think it all depends on your motivation.

If you're trying to reduce energy use, water use and cost, you need to look at the shower time and the flow rate. I take a long shower, but use the shut-off on the shower head to produce a very low flow most of the time (e.g. when I'm shaving). My wife takes a much shorter shower but has the water blasting, so we probably use about the same amount of hot water.

Pico and ME 10-17-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 494732)
Oh, um, how old are the boys? Some things in the shower take a little time. :sadsperm:

Oh God I know. This is why my husband hasnt really been helping me in this fight. They're teens.

Cicero 10-17-2008 01:18 PM

I knew it!! 10 mins.

Sundae 10-17-2008 01:22 PM

Shower time vs bathroom time.
I am amazed - really, honestly amazed - that anyone can spend more than 10 minutes under a shower. I mean it's not like you can have a book and a glass of wine in there!

Bathroom time - meh. Ex HM used to disappear for two hours. I made a joke about laptop/ bathroom time/ wanking and he was quite offended that I thought he'd do it in a public space. So lord alone knows what he was up to!

Pico and ME 10-17-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 494735)
I think it all depends on your motivation.

If you're trying to reduce energy use, water use and cost, you need to look at the shower time and the flow rate. I take a long shower, but use the shut-off on the shower head to produce a very low flow most of the time (e.g. when I'm shaving). My wife takes a much shorter shower but has the water blasting, so we probably use about the same amount of hot water.

Good idea with the shower head, but we currently have one that uses a filter in it to cut the chlorine. I hate taking a shower and it smells like Im at the 'Y'.

monster 10-17-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 494736)
They're teens.

I think I would STFU and count myself as damned lucky they're showering at all! Imagine the alternative! :eek:

:lol: ;)

Pico and ME 10-17-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 494730)

When I was in high school, my brother would take long showers in the morning and use up all the hot water before I would get a chance, so I would go down into the basement and turn the hot water valve off on him when he was in the shower too long. I had to stop doing it to him though. He would return the favor when I was in there.

LOL! I've been tempted.

Pico and ME 10-17-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 494749)
I think I would STFU and count myself as damned lucky they're showering at all! Imagine the alternative! :eek:

:lol: ;)

Ha! Not with my guys. D started taking a shower on his own everynight when he started getting interested in girls. G is a water baby, he loves it for its own self.

wolf 10-17-2008 01:30 PM

Five to ten minutes, depending upon whether I forgot if I washed my hair or not and do it a second time just to be sure.