The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Packaging (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34339)

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2019 11:28 PM

Packaging

This machine will take 1000 different sized items and make not boxes but cardboard packages to ship them, in an hour. That include puting the item inside and labeling.

Diaphone Jim 06-10-2019 02:45 PM

Trippy!
I am gone for the count when a re-run of "How Things are Made" comes on TV.

xoxoxoBruce 06-10-2019 10:45 PM

The flanges around the package should provide some bump protection.

Griff 06-11-2019 06:13 AM

No more of those giant Amazon boxes of padding to hold one little object. This is good. Way back in the 80's we had an automated parts picker, that human scanning is superfluous.

tw 06-11-2019 10:37 AM

As companies like Walmart move towards competition with the existing Amazon, Amazon already has plans to eliminate maybe 3000 jobs by automating the boxing.

BTW, eliminating jobs that way (innovating) always means more jobs in the economy.

An example of how Amazon innovations are / will be keeping it ahead of the competition.

Griff 06-12-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1033871)
BTW, eliminating jobs that way (innovating) always means more jobs in the economy.

Prove it.

tw 06-12-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1033953)
Prove it.

Let's assume your belief. We can make more jobs by removing computers from all COs and reinstalling human operators. That makes more jobs - according to myth generated by soundbyte reasoning. What really happens? Massive job losses elsewhere and stifled innovations - future jobs not created.

Yes, like all money games, those boxing machines cause short term job losses - ie one to four years later. And then result in massive job increases everywhere else four and more years later. Economics always worked that way.

What made America great and so productive? The constant replacement of humans by machines. That reality has never changed. But not understood by many who want to see all results immediately - ie one year later.

Anytime a machine replaces a human, then more jobs are created. It makes no sense when one thinks in terms of open loop systems. It makes complete sense when one is viewing in realities - closed loop systems. Most do not know how to view in terms that apply to reality - ie weather, world conflicts, economics, electricity, and even general relativity. Even explains why soundbytes (ie advertising) so easily manipulate the naive.

Whenever machines replace humans, more jobs are always created in the economy. But only when one views the bigger picture - a closed loop system.

The scary part - that someone in America would not know that well proven and obvious fact.

Griff 06-12-2019 11:54 AM

Let’s assume I’m pro-automation. Let’s make me an automation utopian rather than dystopian. Get me from today to 2100 without blood in the streets from displaced blue collar workers. I don’t think retraining ever gets the job done. Could we instead have the machines pay us?

tw 06-14-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1033973)
Get me from today to 2100 without blood in the streets from displaced blue collar workers.

You have assumed smarter means harder. How did a 14 year old kid learn how to program a computer in the early 1960s. People are much smarter than some would assume. More automation often means the blue collar worker needs less abilities.

We should ban all vending machines so that more people remain standing about in restaurants?

Ask a McDonald employee to make change without that cash register. Notice how automation even makes jobs possible for employees with less abilities.

But we know this is well proven in history. When automation replaces humans, then the economy always creates more jobs. It is only confusing to people who think in terms of Trump style soundbytes. Or who do not understand the difference between closed loop and open loop systems (ie economics).

That same open loop rhetoric also says tax cuts increase jobs. Reality. The resulting closed loop system results in job losses many years later. Closed loop systems also involve an ignored factor called time.

Soundbyte logic (using open loop reasoning) only sees a job lost today because of a box making machine installed today. And does not see the so many resulting new jobs so many years later.

Again, how to create less jobs. Replace those telco switching computers with operators. A resulting recession means less jobs. That has never changed.

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2019 05:14 PM

For tw life must be exasperating having to live among only lesser souls.:rolleyes:

Griff 06-14-2019 07:26 PM

He writes as if someone here suggested not embracing the new tech.

tw 06-15-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1034120)
For tw life must be exasperating

Sorry that I used too many big words. I will try to do better.

tw 06-15-2019 09:33 AM

Troglodyte - a person who fears automation because it somehow destroys jobs. The myth, for some strange reason, lives on.

Gravdigr 06-15-2019 12:12 PM

Now he's re-writing international politics, economic policy, and the dictionary.

Griff 06-15-2019 07:58 PM

I’m concerned that he may be advising the Biden campaign.