The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Who has done Atkins? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4729)

Radar 01-04-2004 10:06 AM

Who has done Atkins?

Have any of you ever done the Atkins thing? I bought and read the book recently (I'm getting married on Valentine's Day and want to lose a few lbs) and just started the induction phase and I know Dr. Atkins said we're addicted to carbs, but I'm actually going through withdrawal symptoms. I'm so jittery my hands are actually shaking and it's only been one day. And it's not because I'm hungry. I had Prime Rib.

I've been a bit concerned about my blood sugar lately anyway. I've had 2 low blood sugar attacks. My family on both sides has diabetes including both grandmothers (one died of it), and both of my parents. I'm 34 and overweight, and think the subject of my bloodsugar has been avoided too long.

I need to find someone with Atkins experience to help me make it through induction. It's kicking my ass, but according to the book I should feel much better in a few days.

Torrere 01-04-2004 10:57 AM

I haven't done the Atkins (I try to eat high-calorie foods that are otherwise healthful; because I burn through a lot of calories).

So that we (I) know that you know what you're doing: why and how does the Atkins diet work?

Radar 01-04-2004 11:26 AM

I read the book. I know how and why Atkins works. I even know why I'm so jittery now on my second day of induction. But even knowing it doesn't make that jittery feeling go away. I'm confident it will go away once I switch over to lyposis, but I had no idea the extent to which I was addicted to carbs.

According to the book this will also stabelize my blood sugars and prevent diabetes/hypoglycemia.

oops...sorry I just re-read your post.

Here's the how and why Atkins works...

People have two parallel power systems. Normally we survive on sugars in our blood as fuel. The primary source of these sugars is carbohydrates which are quickly changed into sugar in our bodies. When we have too many of these carbs (sugars) our bodies store the excess energy as fat.

Our backup power system is the stored fat. When you eat high protein/fat without carbs (meat, cheese, butter, etc), for a few days, your body switches to the backup power system and starts burning fat as the primary fuel source. Even processing the protein you're eating requires fuel.

This process is called lyposis and later results in ketosis. Ketosis is when your body starts burning your stored energy (fat).

In otherwords, you can eat more calories of satisfying foods like pork, beef, chicken, lobster, clams, etc. with butter, mayo, etc. and lose far more fat than someone on a low fat high carb diet who counts every calorie. Supposedly it also balances your bloodsugar and controls your appetite too.

I'm told after I make through the induction phase (the most strict part to get your body to make the switch to burning fat), I'll have more energy, and the fat will just drop off.

My friend did it and dropped 80 lbs of fat in about a year. He actually weighs less than me now.

juju 01-04-2004 11:31 AM

Don't people with Diabetes have high blood sugar?

Radar 01-04-2004 11:36 AM

Diabetes and Hypoglycemia are closely related. They both are a result of your body not being able to maintain normal bloodsugar levels. One is too high blood sugar and one is too low.

Most obese people produce an excess amount of insulin (usually as a result of eating too much sugar) so they eat more starches/sugars to make up for it and the body makes more insulin to compensate and it's a vicious cycle.

According to the book, when you get on a low carb diet, your insulin levels return to normal and your blood sugar becomes stable.

juju 01-04-2004 11:40 AM

My apologies. I thought you were implying that your low blood sugar might be a result of Diabetes.

Slartibartfast 01-04-2004 11:50 AM

I just started Atkins for New Years :D

It is much needed as my goal is to lose 60+ pounds.

I don't have the book because I gave my copy away years ago. I do however remember the rules. And really the one thing I disagree with Atkins on is the caffinee restriction, so I ignore it.

These days, it's much easier to do Atkins because there are so many low carb versions of stuff. - low carb 'milk', spaghetti, bread, even chocolate bars! The one problem with this stuff is it is EXPENSIVE! But if it keeps me sane, then I'm all for it.

Good luck Radar, you've picked a diet that definitely works if you just stick to it!

Slartibartfast 01-04-2004 11:57 AM

Radar, about those first day jitters.

I have to say I know a few people that have been through Atkins and I have never heard of something like that. I would say if you begin to feel faint or bad in any way, you should consider laying off the diet until you talk to a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

And I've learned that the induction part of the diet can be trimmed down to as little as three days as opposed to two weeks, if you are confident that you are in ketosis. Since this is the first time you are trying Atkins, I would recommend buying Ketosticks at your pharmacy so you can see what your metabolism is up to. The book describes how they work.

Radar 01-04-2004 12:13 PM

Good idea, I'll pick up ketosticks (assuming they know what I'm talking about at Sav-On) after the first week or so.

The book said some people get a bit jittery so I'm not going to be too worried about it. I'm just going to try to put up the good fight.

Last night I had prime rib with a cajun butter sauce (I checked to make sure it was butter and not margerine), creamed spinich, and a green salad with oil and vinegar with iced-tea with lemon.

The no caffine part is supposed to be a guideline anyway. They said caffine sometimes gives people cravings for sugars and this is why they suggest we avoid them. Also they think if they can get people to stop being addicted to caffine and carbs, it will help with other addictions people may have like cigs.

Atkins actually has their own line of low carb snacks, bars, etc.

I bought some, but I'm not sure if they are acceptable during the induction phase.

Slartibartfast 01-04-2004 12:24 PM

Watch out for some of those high protein bars. Most of them taste like crap. Before you order online a case of them, make sure you try one first.

Radar 01-04-2004 12:26 PM

I tried one yesterday and it didn't suck. But then today I started wondering if it was cool during the induction phase. They are Atkins bars, but that just means low carbs. That doesn't necessarily mean they're acceptable during the induction phase.

Slartibartfast 01-04-2004 12:27 PM

It should be easy to tell if you can have them or not. Your goal in induction is to restrict your carbs to less than about 20. Just look at the nutrition chart on the food.

Oh, you also have to subtract any carbs from fiber and such, but most nutrition charts will have a footnote explaining that.

Scopulus Argentarius 01-04-2004 02:03 PM

I did the Atkins Diet and it worked well. Make sure you consume more fiber, even at the cost of a few grams of carbs. Avoid the protien bars; they taste like shit and will stop you up faster than a wheel of stinky cheeze.

Atkins was the second fastest way to lose weight for me.

The fastest I've ever lost weight was after taking neupougen (a painfully injected drug - doctor prescribed) so I could build up stem-cells and lymphocytes (and marrow) for donation to my sister. After the donation, I dropped from 190 to 170 over the span of 6 weeks. The donation bought my sister 3 more years before she passed away this last September.

My weight slowly got back up to 190 over the past 6 months, but It is mainly due to my new muscles... I spend 2 to 3 mornings at the gym. I still run 10-15 miles a week.
The new weight is a good thing as it looks a hell of a lot better than the old weight.

Radar 01-04-2004 11:49 PM

I feel like I don't get the full feeling without carbs. I'm afraid I'm eating too much. At least I'm feeling better and I've lost the jittery feeling.

That might have something to do with the supplements I've been taking also.

Griff 01-05-2004 06:33 AM

Even without going officially Atkins its probably a good idea to get off the carb-go-round. Since I figured out my problem with wheat I've had much better control of my weight and haven't gotten those urges to binge. I still eat some cabs in corn tortillas and such but the volume is way down. My buddy Claytoris dropped about thirty on Atkins you could pm him to get specifics. I'd be careful about the volume of meat though. Good luck and best wishes for the wedding. g