The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   a photoblog of what i did today..... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24275)

plthijinx 12-29-2010 10:07 PM

a photoblog of what i did today.....

a place where you photoblog your day or major project of any field. carpentry plumbing electrical automotive. any DIY job....(never know....someone might need the info someday....)

today was two projects. on the Fixed Or Repaired Daily my goal was to change the front rotors and brakes as well as a bad cam position sensor located under a bunch of shit you had to remove to get to on the right front side of the engine. a real PITA. I did the front end first. first pic here is the tight fit into the shop today and go kart limited space in which to work...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/...99870c7fe6.jpg
truck 1 by plthijnx, on Flickr

the new rotor:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5044/...a2bf6afb4d.jpg
truck 2 by plthijnx, on Flickr

the doohickey you put the rotor on cleaned off with a shop rag. make sure you put a thin coat of grease on it before putting the rotor back on.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/...135b211044.jpg
truck 3 by plthijnx, on Flickr

remove the wheel bearings from the old rotor, bathe them in gasoline then pack them with grease...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...56222decf8.jpg
truck 6 by plthijnx, on Flickr

the best thing since sliced bread for this project... a bearing packer...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/...240ed2bda2.jpg
truck 7 by plthijnx, on Flickr

then with your bearings packed and in the new rotors you're ready to put them on...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5165/...55952c2cb5.jpg
truck 4 by plthijnx, on Flickr

new rotor on with brake mounting assembly.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/...6758735787.jpg
truck 5 by plthijnx, on Flickr

done. put the tire back on and hit the road.

cam position sensor was a helluva lot harder and i was impatient so the blackberry sat on a go kart for that job. but i did take this one..the old sensor on the left cuisine-arted by the cam
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/...12c7dc1992.jpg
truck 9 by plthijnx, on Flickr

so put ur projects here. even needlepoint. anything that you've done and you're proud of doing yourself....

BigV 12-29-2010 10:12 PM

Nice work!

plthijinx 12-29-2010 10:16 PM

ty sir. both were easy compared to the transmission swap! :D

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2010 11:18 PM

Now you can go and stop. :D

plthijinx 12-29-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 702315)
Now you can go and stop. :D

right on and since i don't have to fly it (thank god it's not a plane with a old motor) i can drive it. keeping it running, albeit expensive lately, has really given my spirits a lift. times been bad my friends. everyone here has been a tremendous help. thank you.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2010 11:26 PM

Nothing like getting shit done to improve your outlook on life.:D

plthijinx 12-29-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 702318)
Nothing like getting shit done to improve your outlook on life.:D

couldn't have said it better myself!

zippyt 12-30-2010 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good Job Man !!!

TheMercenary 12-30-2010 07:57 AM

plthijinx, the whole thing looked like a PITA. I use to love to work on my vw's because they were mechanically simple. Now you need a degree in mechanical engineering to fix more modern trucks and cars, and all the electronic bs to do it.

glatt 12-30-2010 09:21 AM

I've replaced worn calipers on disk brakes before, but haven't done the rotor before. Do new rotors normally come with new wheel studs included?

plthijinx 12-30-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 702440)
I've replaced worn calipers on disk brakes before, but haven't done the rotor before. Do new rotors normally come with new wheel studs included?

fortunately mine did. some do and some don't from what i understand...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 702396)
plthijinx, the whole thing looked like a PITA. I use to love to work on my vw's because they were mechanically simple. Now you need a degree in mechanical engineering to fix more modern trucks and cars, and all the electronic bs to do it.

no kiddin'! i think even the sensors have sensors!! :3_eyes:

plthijinx 12-30-2010 10:35 AM

the next project

what was going to be only about a 6 tile replacement in the bathroom wound up being a "fuck it, lets redo the whole thing"

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5286/...3e5242e730.jpg
tile 1 by plthijnx, on Flickr

prybar was the sliced bread tool for the demolition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5170/...cd30293eb0.jpg
tile 2 by plthijnx, on Flickr

a little more prep work and it's off to homo depot for hardy board and the tile store for tile mortar and grout.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/...7dc588da93.jpg
tile 3 by plthijnx, on Flickr

kerosene 12-30-2010 10:37 AM

Nice, plt. I wish I had the skills to do stuff like this. I can clean the tile, but I can't tear it out and replace it.

TheMercenary 12-30-2010 10:44 AM

Home projects I can do. Auto repair I leave to someone else. Great pics and flickr photos pjinx.

plthijinx 12-30-2010 11:02 AM

thanks kero... it's not that hard. tearing up stuff can be fun sometimes and is usually easier than the re-install!

ty merc! the automotive stuff i'm going to have to agree there. i just can't afford to pay someone right now to do the work for me. the transmission? they wanted 650 bucks to just swap them out if i brought them one. $1800 to rebuild the one i had.

kerosene 12-30-2010 11:15 AM

Well, I guess I wouldn't trust myself not to mess something up. I always wanted to learn to install tile, because I had these cool ideas about making mosaic floors in bathrooms. It's the tearing out that I have hesitated about.

The husband does the vehicle repair, though he doesn't always like to. Had to replace a water pump in one of our vehicles a month ago and it was a nightmare I guess, but we saved 600 bucks.

zippyt 12-30-2010 12:09 PM

prybar was the sliced bread tool for the demolition:
I have a Tile remover tool for my roto hammer, BBBRRRRZZZZZZZZ!!!

KeroCase Most of the Bigger Homo depot type places have classes that are free or cheap .
Dive in GIRL!!! get yer hands dirty !!!!

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2010 12:39 PM

I wish people would post there pictures rather than linking them from a host site. It's aggravating to go through old threads and read comments about red X's. Just sayin'...

plthijinx 12-30-2010 02:24 PM

goddamnitsonofbitchshit.

the new cam sensor is talking to me. only a matter of time before i replace it again. first i have to figure out why it's eating them up. if i have to replace the dummy distributor that's going to be a major major project. :mad2:

what i mean by talking is this. sounds like you've got an all night gerbil on a wheel.

dig in kero. taking up the tile takes the least amount of time per project specs usually. right now the roommate is cutting the hardy board and laying it down while i'm cooking diner. (chili with fresh Roma tomatoes, garlic, oregano and jalapeņo peppers. oh and a beer of course! beer's got water in it right?)

edit: yeah i'd rather replace the cam sensor than a water pump. know the hubby went through a lot of shit changing that out. hell i'd rather do the front brakes 3 times over than tackle a water pump. but would take the water pump over the transmission replacement. i need a new rear seal on my engine. going to have to do the tranny one more time. sigh. oh well. hindsight 20/20. note to self and all others. when doing a major major job, replace as many seals as you can while you have the access to them.

plthijinx 12-30-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 702503)
I wish people would post there pictures rather than linking them from a host site. It's aggravating to go through old threads and read comments about red X's. Just sayin'...

should i replace and repost them? you can see them can't you? just making sure...my html is rusty.....

plthijinx 12-30-2010 07:58 PM

the tile replacement job just got bigger. the wall in between the bath and sink area's bottom boards are rotten. may have to tear out and replace the whole wall. hope not.

zippyt 12-30-2010 09:03 PM

Water , the Home owners Best asset and their Worst enemy
Gots to contain it or keep it out or deal with the consequences

The Deeper you dig the worse it is

As they say in TX YEEEEHHHHAAWWWW !!!

plthijinx 12-30-2010 09:11 PM

nah i say "YEEEEHHHHAAWWWW !!!" when i lose an engine on take off :D nah roommate is hoping we only have to replace the molding and a little bit of a 2x4. nah not gonna happen. sink/cabinets have to come out and replace the wall IMO. the base 2x4 that the wall sits on is what's rotten. then again this is on the second floor. so what else is rotten?

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 702539)
should i replace and repost them? you can see them can't you? just making sure...my html is rusty.....

Naw, it's OK, I see them, I'm just thinking ahead.

If you need a rear main, it could be from excessive end play, worn thrust bearings. If the crank is walking, it could be causing the cam to walk too. Doesn't matter if the cam is chain or gear driven, unless it's got a thrust retainer, it can walk with the crank. Something to think about.

plthijinx 12-30-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 702601)
Naw, it's OK, I see them, I'm just thinking ahead.

If you need a rear main, it could be from excessive end play, worn thrust bearings. If the crank is walking, it could be causing the cam to walk too. Doesn't matter if the cam is chain or gear driven, unless it's got a thrust retainer, it can walk with the crank. Something to think about.

ok something to think about. would it be advisable to go ahead and replace the motor? 170K mileage that i know of

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2010 11:59 PM

You could put a dial indicator on it, and check the end play, or drop the pan (shudder) and check the thrust bearings. If you have access to a good motor, it might be time to cut bait.

plthijinx 12-31-2010 12:01 AM

ouch. feeling that. was talking to a life long friend who is ASE. he recommended changing the dummy distributor b4 the engine but you make some very good points. damn. don't want that monkey.

xoxoxoBruce 12-31-2010 12:07 AM

Don't let me talk you into jumping the gun. I'm just throwing out possible causes for what you've experienced, that don't make it so. There are other possibilities to explore before you give up on that motor.

plthijinx 12-31-2010 12:44 AM

right on and the purpose for this thread. help others and let them learn from their experiences.....and get a little help along the way...

plthijinx 12-31-2010 12:47 AM

i sure as hell don't want to do an engine swap. but if i do and i win the lottery i will coat the truck in gold.

xoxoxoBruce 12-31-2010 05:50 AM

If you win the lottery, get a new truck... one with a buxom chauffeur and a keg. ;)

Gravdigr 12-31-2010 11:49 AM

I'm liking the buxom chauffeur idea. What does them go fer? Besides guys in gold-plated Ferds...

plthijinx 12-31-2010 11:58 AM

google buxom chauffer with safe search off and see whatcha get! ahem. nsfw.

plthijinx 12-31-2010 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
slept in this morning but when i woke up the roommate had already dug into the wall. very lucky here. wasn't near as bad as we thought.

kerosene 12-31-2010 12:26 PM

If you win the lottery, won't you be buying a plane?

zippyt 12-31-2010 02:07 PM

very lucky here. wasn't near as bad as we thought.

Cool Now give it a good Spray of Bug spray ( Prolly dont Need it ,But Hey its Open ) and seal it up

plthijinx 12-31-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene (Post 702686)
If you win the lottery, won't you be buying a plane?

ohhhh you betcha!

edit: prolly one of these used to fly one until the half owner crashed and burned it.

plthijinx 12-31-2010 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well the hardy board is in and the cutout closed back up. didn't think to spray in there though zip. enough on the job today. have to go to work now. roommate will finish it up tomorrow.

plthijinx 01-04-2011 01:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i apologize for missing out on the actual laying out of the tile, grouting, etc. but i had to work. here is the end result. when laying the tile be sure to use spacers for an even *ahem* lay.

kerosene 01-04-2011 04:18 PM

Wow, that looks really nice, plt. It appears you are a good *ahem* layer (of tile, that is!)

xoxoxoBruce 01-04-2011 07:50 PM

:thumb: Nice job, very classy.

zippyt 01-04-2011 08:19 PM

Well done

Hagar 01-05-2011 04:18 AM

G'day All,

This was my day, 16th December 2010, All water related, all taken West of Brisbane, within about 50km of each other:

Brisbane's Wivenhoe dam is at capacity for the first time in years, these are shots of the spillway gates, with only one of five gates open:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._1330610_n.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...2_881129_n.jpg

Secondly, a site visit to a country waste water treatment plant, where the main tank is in need of concrete repair:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._7461112_n.jpg

Finally, an afternoon Summer storm forced me to pull over on the way home; this is through my windscreen.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._5275260_n.jpg

And yes, I know I haven't posted in ages, but I've lurked a bit, and this thread caught my eye, here 'tis!

BrianR 01-05-2011 09:43 AM

Fred, any time you get bored, come visit me! I have a list of projects that I cannot do alone. Several on the Cougar, and several more on the house. And two on the camper.

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:54 AM

lol alright brian!

cool pics hagar! dam's are a work of art imo. been to hover dam twice and i'd go again!

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
okaaaay. here's the next project. (where the hell are they coming from and why do they find me??) at the go-kart track today we moved the carport over about 6 inches for better sidewalk access for customers. after that we busted up the front curb at the exit for the go karts from the pit. we are going to pour concrete and taper it down to grade.

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:16 PM

in pic #4 we have to cut the rail with a cutting torch about 2 inches past the concrete you see there

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
in pic #5 i drilled a tap hole in the concrete to fasten the rail to the concrete. pic #6 is bob giving me support while i drilled the hole for the anchor bolt. pretty nifty gadget the bolt is. you hammer it in and then tighten down the nut. when you tighten the nut the ass end of the bolt flairs anchoring it in place. pic #7 is using the cutting torch to make an anchor hole in angle iron for the rails. ok pic #8 here is 1X1 (??) angle that we welded bolts to for anchor support when we pour concrete. the angle is going to be installed on both the inside and outside of the sloping down curb.

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and finally in pic #9 here we're cutting down the existing rail prepping it for the downgrade and tapering. far as we got today. more tomorrow.

zippyt 01-05-2011 10:44 PM

Fun Fun Fun !!!

From some body Who has to run a rotohammer Way to much , they work Best when the hammer inside has room to do its thing , as in if yer drilling straight down Sitting on the rotohammer don't work so well , Keep a hold of the drill and Some Pressure on it , But the RotoHammer should be able to Bounce a Bit ,

think of it Like this , when yer driving a Nail with a claw Hammer you draw the hammer BACK to put some Muscle into the Hit , same thing with a rotohammer

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:53 PM

here's a couple minute vid of cutting the rail...

rail

plthijinx 01-05-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 703595)
Fun Fun Fun !!!

From some body Who has to run a rotohammer Way to much , they work Best when the hammer inside has room to do its thing , as in if yer drilling straight down Sitting on the rotohammer don't work so well , Keep a hold of the drill and Some Pressure on it , But the RotoHammer should be able to Bounce a Bit ,

think of it Like this , when yer driving a Nail with a claw Hammer you draw the hammer BACK to put some Muscle into the Hit , same thing with a rotohammer

yeah i figured that out today. true dat!

plthijinx 01-05-2011 11:00 PM

oh and here is a tour of our racing facilities!

plthijinx 01-05-2011 11:01 PM

at the beginning of the vid you can see what our end result of the curb at the front of the pit is supposed to look like

plthijinx 01-06-2011 05:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
alright day two and job nearly complete. pic 1 is where we left off yesterday. today we cut the rail on the right side that was bent and replaced it with a straight piece. then we set the other angle steel on the right there making sure it was level or nearly so. then we cut plywood to anchor to the sides for the concrete form. next we made some more stakes for the rebar and added the rebar and secured it with the rebar strap wire thingys. handy little gadget. wood handle with a swivel hook. you put the wire around the intersection of rebar, put the tool on the two eyelets of wire, move your hand in a circle motion and your done. go to the next one. then after we finished that we mixed and poured 11 bags of concrete and formed it in. total job time: 10hrs.

when the concrete cures we'll then remove the plywood forms and then sand down the steel and paint it.

plthijinx 01-06-2011 05:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)

plthijinx 01-06-2011 05:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
last of the pics...

skysidhe 01-06-2011 06:10 PM

You're one busy man. great photo blogs!

plthijinx 01-06-2011 06:40 PM

ty! looking back over the last 35 days or so i have been real real busy.

changed the transmission on the truck
built a deck at work in our outside party area
put new front rotors and brakes on the truck as well as the cam position sensor
helped the roommate with the master bathroom tile
and finally this curb project.

next week is electrical. friend has a trailer that is scarily rigged up so he has power down one wall. i've taken a peek at it. gonna be a tricky job. going to have to start at the power panel and chase the circuit down to find the problem. have to remove every switch and outlet and check for continuity. should be fun!

glatt 01-06-2011 07:24 PM

looks much better than when you started. Now it's a jump!