The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Giraffe Bread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26787)

monster 01-31-2012 07:52 AM

Giraffe Bread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16812545

Sainsbury's gives into to social media and renames its bread at the suggestion of a three-year old.

:lol:

infinite monkey 01-31-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Banya
Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it Roundtine.

:)

monster 01-31-2012 07:58 AM

or sell oval mugs -great marketing op for someone there....

DanaC 01-31-2012 08:03 AM

The two best bits in that article:

Quote:

Lily's letter said: "Why is tiger bread called tiger bread? It should be called giraffe bread. Love from Lily Robinson age 3 and 1/2".

Chris King from the Sainsbury's customer services team wrote back: "I think renaming tiger bread giraffe bread is a brilliant idea - it looks much more like the blotches on a giraffe than the stripes on a tiger, doesn't it?"

But he went on to explain how it had got its name: "It is called tiger bread because the first baker who made it a looong time ago thought it looked stripey like a tiger. Maybe they were a bit silly."

He included a £3 gift card, and signed the letter "Chris King (age 27 & 1/3)".
and:

Quote:

Sainsbury's said that Chris King had now left the company and had returned to university to study to be a primary school teacher.
I like that. The letter he wrote back to the kid was brilliant. That's someone who knows how to communicate with kiddies.

infinite monkey 01-31-2012 08:08 AM

Awesome!

monster 01-31-2012 08:22 AM

I love the "maybe they were a bit silly" So British. Hope Sainsbury's gave him some decent severance to pursue his degree. What? you think he left voluntarily?

monster 01-31-2012 10:15 AM

Ya know the real killer is it's so cheap! 75p for specialty bread. I miss British Bread. And British Bread prices. here i have to pay $2 for something that's barely palatable.

HungLikeJesus 01-31-2012 10:55 AM

Palatable? You're just supposed to eat it!

glatt 01-31-2012 11:45 AM

Bread is too damn expensive these days. I didn't even know you could find a loaf for $2. The bread we buy is in the $3-$4 range, and it's nothing special.

Pico and ME 01-31-2012 12:04 PM

I can still find whole wheat bread for under $2...but its been a week, so who knows what it is now.

classicman 01-31-2012 01:10 PM

Crappy white bread, which I refuse to buy, is in the $2.00 range.
Anything multigrain or relatively healthy is $3.50+.

Lamplighter 01-31-2012 01:33 PM

... until it goes on sale because no one buys it :rolleyes:

I've wondered if "multigrain" breads are something like "cold duck",
except they sweep the floors to make the dough. :greenface

Sundae 01-31-2012 01:58 PM

I love me some tiger bread.
Makes me connect with Charlie Sheen.

It'd still taste good no matter what it's called.

Sainsbury's are actually quite adaptible for a large chain.
My friend worked in a branch in Leicester where there were a large number of Hindu shoppers.
She suggested egg-free birthday cakes. They were introduced and the uptake (un-literally) exploded. They became the go-to supermarket to shop for party food. Which is to say much was still made by Mum, Aunties, Grandmas etc. And maybe cola was bought cheap from the market. But last minute things like candles, napkins, veggie nuggets helped to boost sales.

She got a badge for it.

DanaC 01-31-2012 02:27 PM

They also have a good rep for being quite supportive of their workforce in many ways. They offer quite a few opportunities to retrain and do something different.

HSBC used to be like that. Don't know if they still are. But certainly a few years ago they were running schemes with schools where staff members with decent computer skills. who wanted a chance to try their hand working in a school setting, would do an a couple of hours a week outreach, teaching IT in a local school.

There's even more linking up these days with the academies and sponsorship and so on.

xoxoxoBruce 02-01-2012 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is...