The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Terrier Breeds (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19565)

dar512 02-20-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 536672)
Did you shoot one? :D

:lol2:

Great minds and all that. I was going to post the same thing until I saw yours.

Shawnee123 02-20-2009 09:53 AM

The greatest of minds. :)

wolf 02-20-2009 12:18 PM

She's British, so I was picturing her in elegantly tailored hunting pinks on the back of a bay gelding.

be-bop 02-20-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 536598)
Thanks. Do they have to be trimmed, clipped, or whatever?

No they are bred with a double coat and they have to be hand stripped,you can do it yourself but it takes a bit of time to get right.we take ours to the Dog Parlour once or twice a year.
cost is minimal about £30 twice a year.
Some people leave them shaggy looking but they get very hot in the summer unstripped

Undertoad 02-20-2009 05:02 PM

Here's a page with a very shaggy border terrier, before, during, and after handstripping:

http://www.munakennels.com/handstripping.html

They also have before and after of a cairn terrier and an irish terrier. It's actually kinda hilarious.

I like a shorthair dog because there's no maintenance, but I'm sure I could take a dog to a shop every 6 months.

DanaC 02-21-2009 05:00 AM

We had Westies when I was a kid. One of them had something wrong with his fur. We didn't know until we took him to have his undercoat stripped, and then it never grew back! He always looked slightly pink through the long white fur:P

[eta] looked even pinker when my bro and me died the two westies with food colouring ... didn't tell mum. Just dyed them while she was out and left them for her to find. One candyfloss pink, one mint green; both with a blue cross daubed on their foreheads and a helium balloon attached to each collar:)

TheMercenary 02-22-2009 11:02 AM

:lol2: Dana that is evil. I love it. What was her reaction?

Sundae 02-22-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Tina is well experienced in the art of handstripping a dog whether it be to get your dog ready for a show or to make your pet look the way it was intended.
Not by nature!

I have to admit how much better they look though. And I'm sure it's a relief to them too - it's just the wording made me go :eyebrow:

DanaC 02-22-2009 01:36 PM

@ merc. she was surprised. baffled at first. :P What we hadn't banked on was that the dye wouldn't wash back out... they stayed like that for about 6 or 7 weeks til it faded and grew out.

sweetwater 02-22-2009 01:52 PM

A dog with its coat is better protected from the sun than a dog who has been shaved down "to keep him cool", though I've worked with groomers and had to do it when owners demand it. I think mostly they don't want to be bothered with maintaining the coats, but say otherwise, thinking we'd believe it. *sigh* Stripping coats is mostly to keep them hard, as required by the standards, because clippering can make them grow back softer. Do what is easier for the dog if it is not going to be shown.

busterb 02-24-2009 08:34 PM

Border Terriers are like hens teeth in the south. I check online adds in most newspapers in my state and Neu awlins. + Don't think I'll ever pay $650 and up for a dog.

busterb 03-26-2009 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This mutt showed up a few days ago. Cute as hell. Young male, which seems to come and go. I've fed, petted and fixed a place for it to sleep.
Two people have called today and asked if mine. Not yet.

morethanpretty 03-26-2009 07:34 PM

Its adorable Buster!

sugarpop 03-26-2009 08:03 PM

awww, what a cute puppy!

My sister has always gotten a lion cut on her chow in the summer, because it's wicked humid and hot here during the summer. Last year her hair didn't grow back on her sides. it finally did grow back on one side, but the other side just has fuzz on it. :D

classicman 03-26-2009 08:38 PM

Now that you posted pics he's yours. There are rules ya know.