The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

sexobon 06-01-2014 12:31 AM

This may not apply to you; but, there is a generic consideration with businesses in which part timers don't get healthcare benefits while full time employees do. Some businesses will first grant full time status to those part time employees least likely to use healthcare benefits to keep the employer's insurance costs down. It could be that an employee already has healthcare benefits elsewhere (e.g. Medicare, spouse's employer), has no preexisting conditions on their pre-employment physical; or, is statistically at lower risk (e.g. age bracket). Since employers who offer healthcare benefits must by law insure anyone eligible under their policy, this can be an issue.

Nirvana 06-01-2014 10:43 AM

I thought of this Sexobon but the lady is the same age roughly and she has nothing I asked her because we were talking about her 8 yr old and she said no health coverage for her one day. I can only speak for me I have no pre existing conditions and I am a non smoker, non drinker. They have security cameras so anyone claiming not to smoke is on camera doing it in the designated smoking area.
The issue may be that they don't think I need the job? I dunno I just feel very disrespected. I guess I will have to change how I feel about it.

Nirvana 06-01-2014 12:15 PM

I think I expected this company to abide by their own guidelines for recruitment which state; " Candidates with no more than 2 combined attendance/ performance points and a minimum of 6 months in their current position."

This lady had 2 points and has only been in her current position 3 months. :rolleyes: [whine whine whine]

limey 06-01-2014 12:48 PM

It's a bummer when the company don't abide by their own rules and you know you're the best candidate.

Sent by thought transference

sexobon 06-01-2014 12:54 PM

Maybe she had a good sob story. Sometimes those who talk big turn out to be the biggest grovelers behind closed doors and there are bosses who fancy themselves social workers; however, their generosity towards someone with a good sob story never comes at their own expense, it always comes at the expense of the recipient's peers.

xoxoxoBruce 06-01-2014 12:59 PM

The people that write the rules are seldom the people who are supposed to follow or apply them. Without enforcement there's rarely compliance, but if you bring it to their attention you're a troublemaker so you lose either way. This is not unique to the candy company, it's universal in companies big and small.

Nirvana 06-01-2014 03:06 PM

Thanks Limey
Sexobon you have probably hit the nail on the head and xoxoxoBruce unless they ask me in an exit interview I have no plans to bring anything to their attention.

monster 06-01-2014 08:40 PM

ugh, N, sucks. Maybe ther'es a better FT position around the corner, one that needs someone more reliable. maybe.

plthijinx 06-03-2014 04:32 PM

this could go in a number of threads but here goes. yeah, i haven't been around in a while (thank Sarge for motivating me to this post as he contacted me on fb and not in so many words said it's not the same around here....BIG hand shake and thank you sir! Lola Bunny too!)

here goes.

since roughly early February I have been averaging 55-60 hour work weeks and with the overtime i have been paying off past fuck up debts and what not but that's the best part of it.

you see it's like this. just because i am loyal to my career and job, especially since they let me get back into the industry before i could pass a b/g check, does NOT give my department manager/lead permission to treat me, or any other co-worker for that matter, like shit.

Sunday prior to Memorial Day I went to the ER with what I thought was a heart attack. some of y'all saw this on my fb but i digress. the pressure that i have been under in the last several months at work finally caught up and i admit that i can only handle so much and that sunday was one straw shy of breaking that dang hump day camels' back. yeah, that came this last friday. not once during the week (my g/f and now life partner, Leigh, called both the engineer i work with and the department lead to let them know that i was having what we thought was a heart attack.

turns out that it was nothing more than stress thankfully but that's not the point. when i returned to work never once did my dept lead ask me if i could handle working long hours still or for that matter how i was feeling health wise. i don't want, nor do i require, sugar coatings. having managed crews before i know of all people to find out and pay attention to your crew and their moral.

monday morning i quit my job. flat out quit. my engineer called me asking where i was and why i wasn't at work yet. told him i quit. he said "come again??" i said yep. can't take this bullshit anymore. scheduling is a nightmare, dept lead treats people like shit including you and everyone else. i'm done. i'll be in in the next couple days to turn my laptop in.

with that he wished me well.

5 minutes later dept. lead calls me asking me "wtf are you doing?!?!" i said i can't take your bullshit anymore dude.

last friday he had called me at my desk screaming at me to get out of "his" drawing and the only reason i was in it was to take measurements for a BOM or bill of material to give the contractor an idea of items to purchase to complete the job. anyway, screaming is putting it mildly. i even quoted him on the phone monday morning when he asked for an example. i said....."And I quote...'GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY GODDAMN DRAWING!!! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IN MY GODDAMN DRAWING?!?!?" to this at the moment i replied alright....fuck you i'll get out of it. then later he calls me again about something else to which i responded "I can't read your fucking mind!"

fuck it. i'm getting even more worked up. i'd not post this but spent too much time typing it. more later.

nutshell is this......he said what do you need.

a couple more days to chill.

go ahead...take them. see you wednesday?

yeah. see you then.

Gravdigr 06-03-2014 04:52 PM

Well damn, Fred. I got nothing for ya, bud. I probably couldn't have held out as long as ya did. Money is one thing, but, bullshit weighs more than money sometimes.

Chill if/while ya can, man. Take it easy as ya can. Breathe for a little while.

Good to hear from ya, even if'n it were bad news. Might turn out to be good news, though. Chin up.:comfort:

BigV 06-03-2014 04:53 PM

I'm glad you're ok plt, seriously.

I hope you gain much relaxation from your time away, but from my experience, and what I've read from you, more than a couple days will be needed to make things right. You said, correctly, understatedly, that they don't have the right to treat you like shit. Damn skippy they don't. But!! unless you stop them, they might well try, on purpose or accidentally, following their own best interests and fuck yours, or from just plain ignorance. You said you can't read they guy's mind; he can't read yours either. Apparently, they *CAN* comprehend when you say fuck off, I quit, so... you have some channel of communication open, at least.

Man, there ain't no-body gonna look after you, in the workplace, like YOU. YOU train those around you how to treat you, and it sounds like the lesson you gave them finally clicked for them. JFC, plt, don't take their shit, life is too fucking short. Don't let those fuckers make your life shorter.

plthijinx 06-03-2014 05:14 PM

Ty grave and v I hear you. And you are 100% right. Guess lead thought that since I have done time...could be over thinking this.....that he thinks he can treat me like shit. Or thought. He's an alpha and so am I however I have always let him run the show because it's his to run. I do have respect for the man in what he can juggle but s.o.b. has bit off more than he/we can handle. We do the impossible in getting jobs out. 2 weeks from scratch to finish on a facility phase II expansion. Released half week ago friday (in 4 days) and the rest last friday.

plthijinx 06-03-2014 05:17 PM

On the droid now so editing is limited so to speak due to laziness. On the driveway having a nice cigar from Paul, my roommate, and trying to chillax. Need a vacation though. You nailed that one.

Lola Bunny 06-03-2014 05:29 PM

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I thought Leigh was gonna get you to smoke less! Hhehe....I tease. That was no way to quit. Hopefully you can work things out. It was suck to lose a job, but it also sucks to work in a horrible condition. Good luck!

glatt 06-03-2014 06:11 PM

They NEED you. They can't afford to lose you. If they are that busy they are going to be willing to make some slight changes to accommodate you.
If you are going back in there tomorrow morning, it's the perfect opportunity to explain to them just how much you are willing to put up with, and that you are willing to walk away.

You have a lot more power than you may think if you talk to them in a clear way about what you will put up with.