The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Saddam to Swing (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12317)

Aliantha 11-06-2006 06:08 PM

Saddam to Swing

Any thoughts on this?

Radar 11-06-2006 06:37 PM

Here's a thought...

His death is irrelevant and in no way justifies the war in Iraq and it was highly unlikely that his trial was fair, or that it would even be possible for him to have a fair trial in Iraq.

Aliantha 11-06-2006 06:45 PM

Although I agree with everything you've said Radar, he's still obviously guilty of many evil crimes.

Novae 11-06-2006 07:10 PM

I think that among the people who have been sentenced to the death penalty, at least we know he deserves it.

Now, does that mean I think this is some great victory for the motherland? Not at all, this "war" is more aptly described as an invasion, and his death is irrelevant to the current conflict, as stated above.

Aliantha 11-06-2006 07:15 PM

I'm against the death penalty on principal, so this is a hard one for me to rationalise. Firstly because I don't think one human has a right to take anothers life. With regard to Sadam, I don't think him being murdered will in any way make up for what he's done. You can't kill the same person hundreds of times anyway can you? Could he be dangerous if left alive to rot in prison? Probably. Is it safer to remove him from the earth? probably.

He is an incredibly corrupt man. I don't think he could be fixed.

Ibby 11-06-2006 07:18 PM

I agree with Aliantha, the war is STILL unjustified and everything, but saddam does deserve to be punished.

glatt 11-06-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha
I'm against the death penalty on principal, so this is a hard one for me to rationalise. Firstly because I don't think one human has a right to take anothers life. With regard to Sadam, I don't think him being murdered will in any way make up for what he's done. You can't kill the same person hundreds of times anyway can you? Could he be dangerous if left alive to rot in prison? Probably. Is it safer to remove him from the earth? probably.

He is an incredibly corrupt man. I don't think he could be fixed.

I agree with everything you've said except I think he's more dangerous dead than if he had been held in prison for the rest of his life. Now he's goning to be a martyr, and martyrs are more dangerous than prisoners.

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2006 08:20 PM

I don't think he will be a martyr. Although he took care of the Sunnis, it was a tribal thing rather than religious. I don't think the religious leaders, of any persuasion, will want a secular martyr.

That said, Kim and some of the other dictators might use him as an example of US aggression. :2cents:

lumberjim 11-06-2006 08:43 PM

Saddam to Swing?

how does he get his wife and the other couple into prison? they have multiplayer conjugal visits? You think he'd be happy with his wife after such a long separation. I suspect that Elspode is somehow mixed up in this.

Clodfobble 11-06-2006 09:23 PM

Meh. Around these parts, we put a guy to death last Wednesday, and we've got another one scheduled for the day after tomorrow.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-06-2006 10:01 PM

Some people here are taking strange, convoluted positions, apparently for the sake of seeing how well they can play philosophical Twister.

Whelming the dictator is good. Making a democracy where there was autarchy before is good, however many junior-grade tyrants and oppressor wannabes have to get shot in the process. People of that kind wouldn't work for a successful democratic republic in any case. I cannot believe any Libertarian can't accept this, which is why radar and I always fight. Dictators never fall before a radiation of righteous indignation. They do fall to the bullet -- or the drop.

Happy Monkey 11-06-2006 10:32 PM

Mission Accomplished...?

Novae 11-06-2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Mission Accomplished...?

Ha. Very good point, people are taking this as some symbolic victory, I suppose.

rkzenrage 11-07-2006 02:28 AM

I am against the death penalty for many reasons... now one more. This will just martyr him.
In some ways, he is already one to "his people".

DucksNuts 11-07-2006 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Meh. Around these parts, we put a guy to death last Wednesday, and we've got another one scheduled for the day after tomorrow.

Clodfobble, I wish I had never looked at that link, this kinda stuff really intrigues me and when I went one link further to the watch list....I'm seriously hooked and it will occupy my mind for days.

Now I will be researching at least two of those cases to follow them through and get up to date.

The death penalty has always sparked something in me, since early school days.