The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Show us your 80's hair (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15636)

lookout123 10-19-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 396939)
Then quit bitching like a little girl.
If you didn't care you would not complain about my posts to begin with. So just stop.

you might want to reread that rage. that is ibby's impression of you. excellent reading comprehension BTW.

rkzenrage 10-19-2007 12:42 AM

Coming from someone who followed me through the threads for two days, that's rich.

lookout123 10-19-2007 12:45 AM

that's right psycho boy, i got here more than three years ago and have posted all over the place but my pointing out what an asshole you are in a couple of spots equates to me following you around. dumbshit.

Ibby 10-19-2007 12:58 AM

uhh... I do care, thats why I gave you constructive fucking criticism, rk. Which is exactly what I'm fucking talking about. I'm not complaining, I'm criticizing, and you can't be bothered to read what anyone else has to say about you or anyone or anything else, because you don't care what anyone has to say about you or anyone or anything else. If you've formulated an opinion on it, you dont care about anyone else's opinion because yours is right, and if you havent you dont care what they have to say because you dont care about whatever theyre talking about. You don't debate, you tell people why you're right and then skip the whole listening to them part, and just say you're right again, then follow up with either a well-placed LOL, a sentence of contractions, a quickly photoshopped picture, or something about stalking or some shit like that.

Its getting old.

rkzenrage 10-19-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 396948)
that's right psycho boy, i got here more than three years ago and have posted all over the place but my pointing out what an asshole you are in a couple of spots equates to me following you around. dumbshit.

How eloquent and sussinct... I think I have seen the light!:eek:

I do change my opinion from time to time Ib. It has happened, if the argument is logical or I have been shown to incorrect. I thank anyone who has shown me I am wrong, that is a good day for me, I live to learn.
How you feel about my side of the argument?
Nope. Don't see the point.

lumberjim 10-19-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 396952)
I do change my opinion from time to time Ib. It has happened, if the argument is logical or I have been shown to incorrect. I thank anyone who has shown me I am wrong, that is a good day for me, I live to learn.

fucking cite!

rkzenrage 10-19-2007 01:15 AM

LOL!

lumberjim 10-19-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396951)
then follow up with either a well-placed LOL,

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 396962)
LOL!

whew..didnt see THAT coming.

rkzenrage 10-19-2007 01:20 AM

It's funny.

lumberjim 10-19-2007 01:22 AM

so.... seriously, though. you've been called on that statement before. and you pulled that same shit. you say that you have changed your stance...been wrong and admitted it. surely you recall what the topic was at least. give me a clue...i'll see if I can find it. or are you just talking shit, and posing agian?

cite the instance

ZenGum 10-19-2007 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectacle (Post 396847)
No offense, but that is the worst idea I have ever heard of.

No offense taken, but if that's the worst idea you have ever heard of, you should get out more often. Or else follow a TW Vs UG exchange, one of those two is bound to leave you gaping. Possibly both.

Seriously, I find it repelling, seeing amusing threads swamped by personal feuds. The "80s hair" and "special talent/curse" threads have been pretty much killed by this and the "Black people "less intelligent" " thread is in dire peril.

I was attracted to the cellar for the witty humour, the bizarre stories and pictures, and quite a bit of good intelligent debate and controversy. Name calling and flame wars can be found pretty much anywhere. So I was hoping we could quarantine them.

BTW, have you been welcomed, Spectacle?
Just in case: Welcome to the cellar, Spectacle.
:welcome:

lumberjim 10-19-2007 01:30 AM

you can TRY to quarantine flame fests....i actually tried to at first here when i put the list in the butthole thread. it never works tho....and spectacle is right to a point. the boardwide dynamic really doesn't support that kind of organization. sorry if our dirty underbelly offends or disappoints you, newgum.

ZenGum 10-19-2007 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 396968)
you can TRY to quarantine flame fests....i actually tried to at first here when i put the list in the butthole thread. it never works tho....and spectacle is right to a point. the boardwide dynamic really doesn't support that kind of organization. sorry if our dirty underbelly offends or disappoints you, newgum.

Ah, well, I guess that is so.
I'll just have to learn when to stop checking threads, once they've degraded. Meh.

rkzenrage 10-19-2007 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 396966)
so.... seriously, though. you've been called on that statement before. and you pulled that same shit. you say that you have changed your stance...been wrong and admitted it. surely you recall what the topic was at least. give me a clue...i'll see if I can find it. or are you just talking shit, and posing agian?

cite the instance

I once said that you contributed to the the board.

Spexxvet 10-19-2007 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 396971)
Ah, well, I guess that is so.
I'll just have to learn when to stop checking threads, once they've degraded. Meh.

There's this, from a long time ago.

Spexxvet 10-19-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 396648)
Abuser is a noun, so it shouldn't have a hyphen at all. A hyphen indicates that the first adjective modifies the second term (which must be an adjective or adverb.) One who is both a dick and an abuser would have to be a "dick/abuser."

Communicating is the important factor, regardless of punctuation. Limpjism is a dick and an abuser. I hope communication has taken place. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396457)
...My point is... Every single one of your multitude of very very, er, extreme opinions are treated like fact by you - like god's honest truth, haha. And any opinion that you disagree with,
... is 'just an opinion' and is thereby completely ignored or brushed aside by you.
It's wrong, and its intellectually dishonest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396845)
...he's the one being a jerk and being unable to listen to (or, at least, consider) any criticism at all. It's childish and immature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396951)
... If you've formulated an opinion on it, you dont care about anyone else's opinion because yours is right, and if you havent you dont care what they have to say because you dont care about whatever theyre talking about. You don't debate, you tell people why you're right and then skip the whole listening to them part, and just say you're right again....

Can I convince you that you're mistaken here?

busterb 10-19-2007 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mid 80s, I guess. G st. Belle Chasse,LA

Ibby 10-19-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 397085)
Can I convince you that you're mistaken here?

Well, honestly, no - because my only point is that Rob is unwilling to listen to criticism, and uh, he not only doesn't deny it but, he's proud of it.
If you can show me an instance where he says or does otherwise... fine.

Spexxvet 10-19-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 397102)
Well, honestly, no - because my only point is that Rob is unwilling to listen to criticism, and uh, he not only doesn't deny it but, he's proud of it.
If you can show me an instance where he says or does otherwise... fine.

With all due respect, your first sentence sounds like something you're accusing RK of saying.

"No" - I can't convince you that you're mistaken.
"Rob is" - stating your opinion as fact.

jester 10-19-2007 11:16 AM

Monster - I liked the Troll Hair

monster 10-19-2007 11:18 AM

Thank you. If I had time I'd start shopping photos of dwellars into really nasty 80s styes (especially those who will not let it lie....), but i have a house to bulldoze for my sprog's bday party tomorrow and I'm procrastinating. badly.

monster 10-19-2007 11:19 AM

maybe I'll find my wedding pic at the bottom of all the piles of crap....

monster 10-19-2007 11:20 AM

hey quick, post some more non-argumentative stuff, maybe we can pop this thread onto the next page before anybody realizes. I am planning to find my pics and scan them one day, honest. I still had my 80s hair in the 90s. That's how sad i am, fashion-wise

ZenGum 10-19-2007 11:34 AM

My most notable 80s haircut was partly an accident.
It was at a high-school pool party, and two girls said to me that I needed a haircut. I agreed, since it was a great way to sit still and have two nice young lasses stand very close to me. In swimsuits. Hmmmmmm. Gentle grooming behaviour.
Pity they were not quite so skilled at cutting hair as one might have hoped. Nah, who cares, and the next day a professional hairdresser was consulted and found the only solution to be a number three crew cut all over. It grew back, but not before I had convinced one teacher I was getting chemotherapy and another that I was turning Buddhist.

glatt 10-19-2007 11:40 AM

I have a few bowl cut pictures of my hair in the very early 80s back when I was younger and my dad would cut my hair.

It wasn't until I got to college and was off on my own in 1985 that I got a real haircut by a pro. Maybe this belongs in the "how poor were you thread."

Home grown bowl cuts may look OK on a kid, but they are a bit pathetic on a teenager. Anybody want to see some pathetic pictures? I can look for them.

ZenGum 10-19-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 397155)
I have a few bowl cut pictures of my hair in the very early 80s back when I was younger and my dad would cut my hair.

It wasn't until I got to college and was off on my own in 1985 that I got a real haircut by a pro. Maybe this belongs in the "how poor were you thread."

Home grown bowl cuts may look OK on a kid, but they are a bit pathetic on a teenager. Anybody want to see some pathetic pictures? I can look for them.

Yes please.
Anything to gt this thread on a new page.

glatt 10-19-2007 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK.

This was me in 1982. All awkward and skinny with a bad hair cut. Actually, the haircut isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. This was just after my freshman year in High School. (9th grade)

I didn't know how to pose for a picture. Who puts their hands on their hips like that? They are backwards.

Ok. That's enough self criticism for one picture.

glatt 10-19-2007 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better picture. This was around September or October of 1982. We were in Pompeii and were trying to recreate the Abbey Road cover on the cool crosswalks they have there. My older brother is in front, and I'm in the back with bare feet. Can you tell that we haven't showered in about 2 weeks? We had been camping through Italy and there were no showers.

ZenGum 10-19-2007 12:11 PM

Well done for posting the first pic, that photo is not a forgiving one.
Camping/backpacking through Italy must have been cooooool. How old were you? I'm guessing about 15, since you mention being int he 9th grade at the same year. Is that right?

jester 10-19-2007 12:13 PM

My hairstyle hasn't changed that much over the years either. First, I've never colored it - totally scared to death, that it will be some awful looking color. I have had a couple of perms - I'll post one "graduation pic" - my best friend did the perm - should have known to do "only a wave" rather than "curly perm" egads. One other I'll post - maybe get them both next week.

G - you should have been hugging a tree or something. That way it would have looked less "posey"

LabRat 10-19-2007 12:13 PM

I promise to look for some old pics of myself this weekend...but in the meantime, I think we need to start a "show me your 80's glasses thread" :lol:

glatt, i only pick on the ones I love :) sry

glatt 10-19-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 397167)
Camping/backpacking through Italy must have been cooooool. How old were you? I'm guessing about 15, since you mention being int he 9th grade at the same year. Is that right?

Yeah, that's how old I was. I was living in Germany with my family for the year, and we (the whole family) traveled all around Europe. We always camped because it was far cheaper than getting a few hotel rooms. But the campgrounds in Italy sucked. No showers for some reason.

That was a freakin' awesome year.

jester 10-19-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 397169)
I promise to look for some old pics of myself this weekend...but in the meantime, I think we need to start a "show me your 80's glasses thread" :lol:

glatt, i only pick on the ones I love :) sry

Ooo, One of the pics I'm gonna post - totally 80's glasses - big, bug-eyed & rose-colored - hated it. (now)

glatt 10-19-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 397167)
Well done for posting the first pic, that photo is not a forgiving one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 397168)
G - you should have been hugging a tree or something. That way it would have looked less "posey"

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 397169)
glatt, i only pick on the ones I love :)

Yeah, it's pretty bad, isn't it? :o

Those were some awkward times, but it's a genuine picture that captures how much of an awkward adolescent nerd I was then. Still am (a nerd,) but it's not as visible now. Besides, I don't have too many pictures from back then to choose from.

Let's see some more 80s pics folks!

monster 10-19-2007 12:38 PM

glatt wants 2 b durty dansin

no titme to loldwellar right now.....

Sundae 10-19-2007 12:41 PM

Glatt it proves there's hope for anyone - yes that pic is geeky and nerdy, no point lying - but look at you now :yum:

I want a scanner :mecry:
My sister had some great 80s hair (actually, her hair is still a source of amusement to me & my brother) and I had some terrible 80s glasses.
I chose them at 14 and hated them within a year, but Mum quite rightly refused to buy me another pair ("I told you not to buy red!") I had to wait til I started work at 16, then went straight for contact lenses. In the mean time I lived in a soft focus world and my friends had to be my eyes!

SteveDallas 10-19-2007 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
shudder

glatt 10-19-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 397218)
shudder

They aren't bad at all. At least your pose by that tree looks natural.

rkzenrage 10-19-2007 03:01 PM

Glatt, I remember those shoes and how comfortable they were... man I would love some now! I had some hand-me-downs.

lumberjim 10-19-2007 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 397222)
They aren't bad at all. At least your pose by that tree looks natural.

very natural!

SteveDallas 10-19-2007 03:03 PM

I suppose.. my immediate reaction when I saw this for the first time in 20+ years (both from a box of old pics my parents dug up.. most much older, like from the 50s) was that the shirt tail makes it hard to tell at first that my hand is in the pocket, and not actually in the pants!

Really, the biggest thing is that I've had my beard so long that these look just completely otherworldly now.

glatt 10-19-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 397231)
very natural!

I finally found that damn Waldo dude!

SteveDallas 10-19-2007 03:18 PM

He's got about 3 times the chin I do.. otherwise, good work!! (Jesus Dallas is still more imposing, though.)

lumberjim 10-19-2007 03:23 PM

i love jesus dallas

SteveDallas 10-19-2007 04:57 PM

Unfortunately he doesn't love you. He's extremely unhappy with the low amounts of your offerings lately.

lumberjim 10-19-2007 05:01 PM

I plan to repent on my death bed, so it should be ok.

xoxoxoBruce 10-19-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 397163)
Here is a better picture. This was around September or October of 1982. We were in Pompeii and were trying to recreate the Abbey Road cover on the cool crosswalks they have there. My older brother is in front, and I'm in the back with bare feet. Can you tell that we haven't showered in about 2 weeks? We had been camping through Italy and there were no showers.

I'm wondering how the road traffic got over those crosswalks??? Maybe it was a water (or sewage) viaduct?

glatt 10-19-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 397358)
I'm wondering how the road traffic got over those crosswalks??? Maybe it was a water (or sewage) viaduct?

The horses and wheels passed between the gaps. Roman chariots and wagons were standardized. You can see the ruts of the wheels.

xoxoxoBruce 10-20-2007 03:29 AM

I doubt every wagon and oxcart had a team of two or four. Quite tricky for a single, not to mention two way traffic. No wonder the empire collapsed.

DucksNuts 10-20-2007 06:00 AM

Where is jesus dallas??

Griff 10-20-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 397400)
I doubt every wagon and oxcart had a team of two or four. Quite tricky for a single, not to mention two way traffic. No wonder the empire collapsed.

It reduced unapproved traffic. Think of it as an early attempt at homeland security.

SteveDallas 10-20-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 397413)
Where is jesus dallas??

He is always with you my child, even unto the end of the age.

http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=104

LabRat 10-22-2007 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, how about May 6, 1984 (so says the date on the back)? I was 8.

LabRat 10-22-2007 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bonus pic of me right before an 8th grade band concert. My appreciation of the arts is obvious here :) Note the perm and 'fish mouth' bangs. Probably took me 30 minutes to get then juuusst right. :rolleyes:

rkzenrage 10-22-2007 11:00 AM

Shoulder-pads! Sweet.

SteveDallas 10-22-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 397992)
My appreciation of the arts is obvious here

Whatever was going on in the first pic, you don't look enthusiastic about either!!

LabRat 10-22-2007 01:39 PM

Heh, probably the fact that I had to wear a dress...I was the posterchild for "tomboy".

Sundae 10-22-2007 02:15 PM

Nice pins even then!

SteveDallas 10-22-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 398106)
Heh, probably the fact that I had to wear a dress...I was the posterchild for "tomboy".

Wow,I'm guessing that was some photo session for the poster....

jester 10-23-2007 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the pics I talked about earlier - I hate to have pics taken. Anyway 1982, 16yrs. Just love the "bug eyed glasses".

Attachment 15387