The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How Many Presents... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24138)

Trilby 12-07-2010 09:12 AM

How Many Presents...

...have you bought for yourself this month :D

I bought myself two books on Amazon - I feel a bit guilty about it, but, well...

I just did it.

have you indulged yourself yet??

wolf 12-07-2010 09:22 AM

I don't think adding something to the amazon cart to qualify for free shipping counts as a present, exactly.

But I did get a very nice $10 stethoscope (to keep at work). It's actually a $40 stethoscope on deep discount. The tubes are clear with sparkles in them.

skysidhe 12-07-2010 09:42 AM

books! ugg you remind me.

Yes, I bought books last month. I am still reading one of them this month, because it is so incredibly stupid, I fall asleep reading it. If it had been a good book, it would have been finished in three days.

I feel like I MUST read it or waste the money I spent on it. The other one is a historical, this one, this stupid one, is urban fantasy. My apologies to Kenyon and D.L fans. I thought maybe a combined effort of two authors would make one good book. nah, It's a mess.

Bri, Usually I say, money spent on books is money well spent. Unless they stupefy you into a coma.
:rant:

I do have free shipping, so that's a good thing.

If I buy anything for myself this month it will be lights. It would be the led branches. Has anyone seen those?

Something like this.http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/...e6e387046a.jpg and if not that, then a set of general purpose led lights.

DanaC 12-07-2010 10:13 AM

Oh dear me...

Several Kindle books, several itunes audio and visual purchases, a new long cardi, some new jeans, some new boots, a new coat...

Some other stuff that i can't now remember.

I've been a bit of a spendthrift lately.

Trilby 12-07-2010 10:16 AM

I have the led braches and I LOVE them. It's been nearly a year and they are still working just fine. They are really beautiful and perk up a winter space. get them!

Trilby 12-07-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 698796)
I've been a bit of a spendthrift lately.

I always manage to spend the money on stuff I NEED but then feel horribly guilty that I spent any at all.

Catholic upbringing.

glatt 12-07-2010 10:24 AM

I really don't spend on myself much at all. I bought a cheap but nice mp3 player off woot about 6 months ago. That's the only thing I can think of that comes close.

Last week, got new front tires for the car and a couple lug nuts and wheel studs replaced. That was more of a safety thing though. Didn't want to spend that money, but had to. At least it goes directly into the local economy since it was mostly labor.

skysidhe 12-07-2010 10:26 AM

Don't feel guilty. Are you Pisces?

Make useless justifications, like it will keep Alzheimer away, or something.
That's what I do. Or just accept that it is a simple pleasure and you deserve it.

I will get those branches, and without a moments guilt, and if I get Alzeimers later, I can just stare at them and keep asking, "What is that?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 698799)

Last week, got new front tires for the car and a couple lug nuts and wheel studs replaced. That was more of a safety thing though. Didn't want to spend that money, but had to. At least it goes directly into the local economy since it was mostly labor.

I did that too. I spent a lot of money on tires and now the explorer transmission is out. I have to save any future money for rainy day. It will stay that way until I find a job, and I will probably end up cleaning an old folks home or some such.

The bolded is a nice way to look at it, but my heart leans toward the boots and coat. It's not spendthrifty dana when you need them. I read there was quite a storm.

Juniper 12-07-2010 12:55 PM

Books are my weakness. Especially on Kindle because it's such instant gratification, on a whim. I buy at least 3 a month that I don't quite finish reading. :)

Right now I really want a new vacuum. But I think I'll let hubby buy it for me for Christmas. He's got to get me *something,* and if I don't tell him I want a vacuum, I'll get something like diamond earrings instead. And I know it sounds weird, but I'd rather have the vacuum!

Pico and ME 12-07-2010 01:08 PM

Warmth is my weakness, so I bought a cozy fleece zip-up (sort of grandma type) robe. I keep the thermostat below 70 - its keeping me toasty on cold mornings and evenings.

monster 12-07-2010 09:09 PM

I just ordered a book from Amazon UK. that's it.

HungLikeJesus 12-07-2010 10:05 PM

I bought some Sugru for myself (https://sugru.com/). I was getting some for my sister and decided I needed some too.

I've already used it to fix a pot lid.

Lamplighter 12-07-2010 10:38 PM

The marketing people at Home Depot are really good.
The entire entrance to our local store is filled with displays of packages of
drills and bits and screwdrivers and pliers and toolboxes and flashlights
...brand names like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Hitachi
...each for less than $20

I stood there looking for a long, long time trying to decide
which I would get - they were all too much a bargain to pass by.
As I stood there every man that come in the store stopped
with me and we silently pondered the displays.

I finally remembered... I bought all those last Christmas.

jimhelm 12-07-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 698907)
I bought some Sugru for myself (https://sugru.com/). I was getting some for my sister and decided I needed some too.

I've already used it to fix a pot lid.

i want that stuff

GunMaster357 12-08-2010 02:45 AM

None at the moment.

But I'll probably buy a SONY Blu-Ray Player by the end of the month.

Along with a bottle of good whisky, some books...