The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Aylesbury, England (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18965)

ZenGum 12-24-2011 06:13 PM

My "local" pizza joint is called Amigos. It has a Mexican decor. They make pizza. I remember having the "Persian" pizza, which wasn't very good. The guys who work there look South Asian, maybe Indian or Pakistani.

I'm confused.

Lola Bunny 12-24-2011 06:35 PM

My sister saw me looking at your posts and said, "Why are you looking at food pictures?!?" Hihi...We're on a diet, of course. Anyways, I showed her your picture and she said, "She looks familiar. Is she the one from England with pink hair?" Hehehe....I think I've talked about you the most and showed her pix of you that she knows who you are. It's a compliment. She usually don't care and pay attention to my ebuddies.

TheMercenary 12-24-2011 08:07 PM

I raise a glass to you Sundae. Well done.

Sundae 12-25-2011 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Our Christmas tree.

My Christmas wrapping this year. The Financial Times is (surprise!) a financial paper, that prints share prices. This - as well as the distinctive soft pink colouring - makes it ideal as wrapping because of all of the small even print.

Everyone I used it for seemed to get a kick out of it.
In cross thread fertilisation, Dana and Limey got the cheap santa paper I used for Tiger and Tennant. Why? I can't honestly remember.

Sundae 12-25-2011 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We opened our presents at about 10.30, then headed down the Dairy Maid at about 12.15.
We weren't due to eat until 13.00, but it obviously made it easier for them to seat people and offer them food as they could, rather than have a massive influx at 13.00. So we got our starters about 12.35.

Dad was really quite cross at anyone who arrived after 13.00.
"Oh, here's another latecomer!" he'd say, with no appreciation that he could be heard! Then again, he said it so jovially I doubt they would have understood his point.

Silly old sod, like it mattered to us.
But it shows were I get my obsessive timekeeping from. I'd always thought it was from Mum. Then again, being married to her for this long would be anough to make anyone take on her values.

As you will see in a later photo, all the tables were reserved and everything paid for in advance.
It was a lovely relaxed meal (again!)

Mum and I had pate to start, Dad had Torpedo Prawns.

Sundae 12-25-2011 01:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We saw Tiger's Grandmother there.
It was nice because she mentioned that Tiger's Mum had received my text in the morning. Of course I knew that, because Tiger Mum replied, but it was sweet to hear that she'd mentioned it to other people :)

Mum on her starter (she'd throttle me if she saw this, as she is looking down and would hate her chins)

Mum & Dad.

Sundae 12-25-2011 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mum and Dad had traditional Roast Turkey.
I had ordered T-Bone steak and was almost envious.

Then mine turned up and if anything it had even more food on the plate.
Steak with Yorkshire Puddings?
Odd. But no complaint from me.

Except, Jeez...
So much FOOD!

zippyt 12-25-2011 02:08 PM

Peas ALL ways Peas !!! ;)

Looks Yummy

Sundae 12-25-2011 02:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oddly, we got a complimentary bowl of Pigs In Blankets.
We call them sausages wrapped in bacon, but hey - foodie terms are good for pub quizzes (Pigs in Blankets, Devils on Horsesback, Angels on Horseback etc)

No idea where they came from or why.
It gave us a couple of silly jokes and some banter though.
Note - I already have a full complement on my plate already, as did Mum & Dad. In fact I left half of one as it was, despite them being my second favourite part of Christmas dinner.

And a picture of all three of us.
Taken by a busy waiter who stepped back into the next County to take it I think.
I've had to crop severaly as you can see my legs under the table in the original. I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Yes I am more florid than my parents, but this is due to general internal temperature as opposed to alcohol consumed. I was lagging behind at this stage, but off the charts when it came to feeling hot.

Dana and Limey can assent to me not being on the normal scale of human heating.

Oh and Dad brought a Father Christmas hat to wear, but didn't put it on because no-one else had it on.
I didn't know this until afterwards, otherwise I would have made him wear it. This is not how we roll! Mum & I had our Christmas cracker hats on the whole time. Although bizarrely not in the photos. But we did, honest.

Sundae 12-25-2011 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dessert.
Mum had Christmas pudding with normal custard, Dad with brandy custard.
I had to go and have the chocolate brownie. It easily dwarfed their reasonably sized pudding slices. And to think I'd avoided them because it's such a rich dessert!

I did not finish it.

Sundae 12-25-2011 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Peas be with you always at Christmas.

And finally, a photo of me trying to show off the back of my dress.
I had it covered up with a shrug in the pub, as I have flabby arms.
But it was designed to have a lovely drop back.

You can also see the sparkles in my hair :)

And that horrendous bruise on my arm?
It's not. It's just a shadow for once.

Merry Christmas one and all.

zippyt 12-25-2011 02:23 PM

And Peas be with you as well

Lola Bunny 12-26-2011 08:32 AM

That is a lovely dress you had on. Looks like y'all had a great time, and the food looks yummy! I'm jealous. :( Hihihih....:p:

burns334 12-26-2011 09:36 AM

Great stats, great looking meal

York 12-26-2011 10:04 AM

I enjoyed reading and watching this! Yummie!! ;)
Guess you enjoyed it a bit more! :D

BigV 12-29-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 782963)
Peas be with you always at Christmas.

And finally, a photo of me trying to show off the back of my dress.
I had it covered up with a shrug in the pub, as I have flabby arms.
But it was designed to have a lovely drop back.

You can also see the sparkles in my hair :)

And that horrendous bruise on my arm?
It's not. It's just a shadow for once.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Peas be with you!!

I love it. And you look lovely in this picture, very nice!

Sundae 02-14-2012 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went to see The Woman in Black with Mum today.
Details in Post Whore thread.

We didn't plan it for Valentine's Day, but we joked it was our date once we realised.
Mum and Dad don't make a big deal out of the old VD, because their Wedding Anniversary is on the 17th and that's always meant more to them.

They saw it on stage, and I've read the book, so we weren't really surprised by the story. Although Mum was caught out by some of the "jumps"!

Beforehand we went to the JD Wetherspoons very close by, The White Stag. It's right across from our new theatre (I'll have to take a photo for you) and just behind the cinema, so it's perfectly situated for trade. As usual it was hard to find an empty table - they either had people sat at them or were used as a repository for dirty glasses/ dishes. I swear the chain keeps its prices down by being under-staffed.

The barmaid serving me was exceptionally rude to some old wifies calling for service from the other side of the bar. They were in the right IMHO, because they'd been waiting longer than me. But this is a pub that allocates staff to certain areas of the bar, and they were really quite rude to her first.

Anyway, meant I got served quickly.

Mum had a panini with Wiltshire Ham and Cheddar. I had a Reggae Reggae (type of spicy sauce) wrap. We shared a portion of chips between us. I hadn't reaslied mine came with sliced tomato, so had to hoik it all out.

It was a lovely and friendly session before the film.

Sundae 02-16-2012 12:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My second date this week!
I ordered a pizza a couple of months ago from Pizza Hut and complained via email about the quality.
I received a £5 gift card a few weeks later - long after I expected a response.

So, with it being half-term, I went to Pizza Hut with Mum and Dad and my gift card.
They have an Early Bird Special which is a pizza, unlimited salad, garlic bread (or potato wedges) and a soft drink, all for six quid.
We had the same deal in Cardiff and again with my bro in London.

This time we chose to have two between three, which was perfect, we all finished what we had and having skipped lunch (the deal is 15.00-17.00) we have now also skipped tea!
Again, good conversation, good laughs and a lovely time out. The total bill was £13.50 after my gift card, but that's because Dad and I had a beer. I paid for my beer, but Mum put the money forward as a tip, which was fine by me.

Garlic bread and half my portion of salad.

Sundae 02-16-2012 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jalapenoes were a free addition to the limited options for pizza toppings, so I added them to the pepperoni pizza.
Then picked them all off for Mum's sake.
The other one we had was chicken & red onion. That one was a bit tasteless actually. I've had it with jalapenoes before...

I caught Mum & Dad out a bit with this photo.
OMG Dad looks gaunt :sniff:

Sundae 02-16-2012 12:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A slightly better picture of them.
And me, glorious me, of course.

Sundae 02-16-2012 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for reference - Dad 3 years ago

TheMercenary 02-16-2012 08:25 PM

He doesn't really look that different. And most importantly he looks just as happy.

richlevy 02-16-2012 08:28 PM

Is there a reason you and your mom wear your hair the same style? It looks cute, but for some reason I don't remember too many moms and daughters doing that.

Sundae 02-17-2012 02:08 AM

Mum's and my hairstyles are always in a state of flux.
If they look similar now it is simply coincidence.
Mine really needs cutting, I'm just waiting til payday, whereas Mum had hers cut on the day the photo was taken (Great Aunt Emma's funeral today, so she wants to look her best).

Her hair is much thicker than mine and needs a lot of taming.
Mine is the opposite - I haven't had it this long in a while because it's so flyaway and does my head in.

Sundae 02-17-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 795940)
He doesn't really look that different. And most importantly he looks just as happy.

He's lost about 3 stone since then.
Maybe I see it because I'm his daughter and I've never known him so skinny.

Sundae 04-07-2012 09:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Went out for lunch - alone - the other day.
Kinda payday/ end of term/ Easter treat.
Went to the Slug & Lettuce as Wetherspoons was more than usually full.

Decided to try their Philly Steak Sandwich and Chips.
Now I knew it would be nothing like a Philly Cheesesteak! But both the connection and the description drew me to it.

Description: A 6oz flat-iron steak, served in ciabatta, with BBQ sauce, melted Cheddar, lettuce and sautéed red and spring onions – served with chips and coleslaw (asked for no coleslaw, that was about the only thing they got right).

Everything else was NO. No no no no.
The steak shown in the menu photo was a single piece of meat. Mine came in strips, which were very chewy and had gristle and fat on them.
The cheese was not lovely melted cheese, but a few grains of something solid. I say something as they had not melted in any way despite being in contact with hot steak.

The chips! About half of the cup of chips was edible. The rest are what we would have called scraps back when we went to the chipshop. They used to sell these over-fried pieces of potato off with the remnants of batter from the fish. Mucho cheapo.

It arrived.
No concerns, I was only taking photos to show you.
Although I realise the steak has been chopped at this point.

Sundae 04-07-2012 09:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Then I started to dissect it.

Top photo exploratory.

Complained.
Got refund.
Left feeling sad.

Bottom photo the remains.

Sundae 04-07-2012 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Luckily, meal out with the 'rents on Good Friday went much better.
Their choice and their treat.
I'd offered to pitch in for a family trip to the Dairy Maid a week earlier. The day I ended up at the Slug & Lettuce. But they were already bound there before I finished school and were reluctant to change their plans - Dads has a better appetite at lunchtime sez Mum (not sure this is true)

Anyway, they offered me a Good Friday lunch and I accepted.
They went for a meal from the Two For £8.49 menu - two plates of fish & chips. Same as hey had the week before, and I suspect a few more times before that given the barstaff knew what they were going to order :)

I went for something from the Favourites Menu - the smaller Chicken New Yorker option, which was plenty big enough. I have a better appetite at about 10.15 (break time, when I am always ravenous!).

And yes, we were all happy with our choices. As when we've been there before - simple food, cooked as expected, friendly staff, no drama.

Partly demolished main courses.

Sundae 04-07-2012 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Obligatory pics of the 'rents and me.
I curled my hair specially for you.

Sundae 04-07-2012 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chocolate Brownie Sundae for dessert.
I got it free as I am signed up to for Hungry Horse emails.
This is the first one I haven't finished, but then given the last two freebies were Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort...

Dad and I made an attempt. But as written above, neither of us are used to a main meal at lunchtime, let alone a main meal with dessert.

Mum was tempted but declined as Good Friday is a day of fasting and abstinence (Dad is immune because of his age). I didn't realise how odd my family's interpretation of this was until I encountered people fasting for Ramadan. Basically, in my house, fasting meant sticking to three meals a day, no snacks and no dessert. Hang on - that's every day? Also we had a soup starter before our main meal to compensate, as soup counted as a drink.

Never mind.
Here is the all conquering Sundae.

Sundae 05-01-2012 01:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dad's 72nd birthday today.
After some to-ing and fro-ing we went to Wetherspoons and had a good relaxed, chatty time.

My battery ran out after taking photos of the food!
Shocking - I am usually so good at checking it, unlike my mobile battery, which dies for days at a time before I notice.

Anyway.
Having discussed burgers so much I felt I had to have one.
I had the Gourmet Beef Burger
Topped with two bacon slices and a Stilton, Shropshire blue & spring onion sauce. Includes six beer-battered whole onion rings.

Mum and Dad decided to have the All Day Brunch
Two fried eggs, two rashers of bacon, two sausages, baked beans and chips.

Mum's arrived without sausages. Luckily she was served first and was able to point this out to the server - who brought two sausages on a separate plate immediately. I say lucky because no-one approached us for the rest of the 2 hours we were there...

Undertoad 05-01-2012 03:05 PM

bacon?

infinite monkey 05-01-2012 03:09 PM

Looks like smashed giant shrimp. :vomit:

monster 05-01-2012 03:22 PM

Sorry, but none of that looks really appetising. I think I'd have a hard time switching back to British bacon, even though it took me a couple of years to switch to American. But at least all y'all didn't fight.

DanaC 05-01-2012 03:30 PM

That bacon looks too pink. I daresay it's much healthier cooked that way, but i prefer mine fried to within an inch of its life and golden;

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...3494d693Bj.jpg

Sundae 07-09-2012 12:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think I forgot to post about Fathers Day!
Down to the Dairy Maid as usual. If you booked in advance you got free glass when you bought a point. They were kind enough to let Dad have one anyway, even though we didn't book. We had a lovely time together - Mum was still in Australia. Dad bought lunch, I bought a round of drinks. His choice.

Lunches - ribs for me, gammon and egg for Dad.
I had to nip next door to get some foil trays to take my leftovers home in. Silly me, forgot a plastic box. Still, they come in handy anyway.

Sundae 07-09-2012 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Me coming back from the bar.
Made it a weeny shot as it's incredibly blurry.
Closer up pic so you can actually see me.

Sundae 07-09-2012 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Super Dad's super pint glass

DanaC 07-09-2012 03:19 PM

Love that top! Looks great with the 3qtr length trews...or is that a skirt ...whichever, looks really nice.

Sundae 07-11-2012 01:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, 3/4 denims. I like it too. Even Mum likes it!
I expect it will see a lot of wear.

Okay. So I do not always go to the Dairy Maid. Honestly.
This was my trip to Hartwell House for afternoon tea. A member of staff is leaving at the end of term and this is much more her kind of thing than a night out in town.

This is where I used to work as a breakfast waitresss when I was young and poor.
I had a full time job, worked in a pub from 19.00-23.00 on Fridays and Saturdays, then arrived here at 07.00 Saturdays and Sundays too. But the pub used to feed me cheese toasties because I was still quite slim then and they knew I had 3 jobs, and at Hartwell I stuffed myself with leftover petit-fours from the night before and as much toast as I could cram in my mouth without being spotted by Chef.

It was the home of the French King Louis XVIII who lived here in exile with his Court for five years (1809-1814).

Walking down from the carpark, and the statue and avenue from the front door.

Sundae 07-11-2012 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We were the first arrivals (many people went home to get changed but I had my glad rags with me and got changed at school).
This meant I could wander about taking photos and not worry too much about people hiding their faces or getting all silly about being accidentally in a photo.

We had a room to ourselves as we were such a large party (28 I think) and it was laid out in a series of tables and sofa areas. Worked well I thought.

Sundae 07-11-2012 01:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More of the room

Sundae 07-11-2012 01:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Room details including cheeky fireplace lady.

Cyber Wolf 07-11-2012 01:14 PM

That rib plate looks absolutely amazing.

And here I am with my li'l thing of soup for lunch. Suddenly, it's not enough.

Sundae 07-11-2012 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We were on a table for five, but two other tables had joined together. This caused some concern to one of our waiters, as he had delivered the serving for five people to them. He was mortified and apologised profusely that he was bringing us tea for three + two.

Of course we didn't mind at all, and I was quite jolly about it, as the serving for two was put on the occasional table right next to me. I didn't take advantage of it of course - everyone got precisely one of everything so I didn't dare ;)

Sandwiches - ham, tomato and mustard, cucumber and cream cheese, smoked salmon, egg mayonnaise (the richest, yellowest eggs I have ever tasted - and I've had home laid). We swapped them about. I ended up having four smoked salmon, yumyum.

Two scones each, one plain one fruit with strawberry preserve and clotted cream. Then a strawberry tart, an orange & lemon eclair, a chocolate layered wafer thing and some sort of choux bun, again with strawberry.

I don't think anyone finished their allotted food. Then again, we swilled down four pots of tea at my table! We asked for takeaway boxes but they had run out. We weren't proud, we asked for foil which was duly delivered. I snaffled a good haul for Mum and Dad, but then I only ate one scone and a strawberry tart that afternoon. Full up with other people's sandwiches...

Sundae 07-11-2012 01:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is where other people were seated for afternoon tea on the day we came. Ideally they serve it on the lawn and croquet is set up. The day we visitied was sunshine and showers.

The room is nowhere near as blurry as it appears in my picture.
When I came for a meal here a good few years ago, we waited in this room until all our party arrived, sitting in front of a blazing log fire. Even I appreciated the spectacle, if not the heat.

glatt 07-11-2012 01:37 PM

What an amazing place!

Sundae 08-01-2012 01:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Family Fun Day in the park.
Not as good value this year. Last year it was organised by a coalition of churches and was all free including a burger and a drink.

This year it was paid for by the council, so although there were free make-and-do tents, the biggies like bouncy castles and face-painting were charged for.

I have to admit they kept the costs down though.

The big hits with Tiger and Kitten were the bouncy castles and the sand.
Tiger insisted on first going in the playground, which is a proper established free playground there all year. I managed to produce a giant bubble wand from my Mary Poppins bag and we lured him away with that.

Excuse the quality of the shots.
They were high-action!

Sundae 08-01-2012 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another bouncy castle - this one laid out as a "challenge" - children went through in pairs.
Despite it being for over-5's only, Kitten at 3 was able to pass easily. She managed the netting before the slide like a little pro.

Tiger is very focused when playing with sand.
Mum says he is happy for hours on a beach with a bucket and spade.
I had to lure him off just to eat our sandwiches. I had a gruyere bagel. Nom nom nom, until the evil people next to us got chicken and chips from takeaway shop across the road. The smell drove me crazy, so I flicked sand all over them and laughed when they cried.

Not really.

Sundae 08-01-2012 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last of the bouncy castles - the big slide.
I counldn't believe Kitten's fearlessness.
Well, yes I could because I know her. But it still made me widen my eyes.

Tiger and I occupied ourselves in the (25 minute) queue by identifying sliders, bouncers and screamers. He said he wanted to be all three. And so he was.

Sundae 08-01-2012 01:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Final go on the assault course.

Then up the hill to my house for ice-pops. Mum had parked at her MIL's (she lives next door to Grandad's old bungalow) so once I was home they were practically there anyway.

There was a little grumbling on the way home, but it was a very physical day for a little girl. And of course once she got some attention by complaining, Tiger started too. So I gave him a piggyback and sang "I want someone to give me a pony..." which made him laugh. Except then Kitten wanted a piggyback from me too!

Children, who'd have them?

Sundae 08-01-2012 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A great day had by all I believe.
Certainly by a tired but happy pony.

Clodfobble 08-01-2012 03:11 PM

Wonderful, Sundae! Kitten is very much like Minifobette, fearlesness and blonde curls and low muscle tone and everything. :)

DanaC 08-02-2012 07:37 AM

Awesome pics!

So nice to see you back in the pink again :p

Mum loves the photos of you with your pink hair. She says you suit the bright pinks and the vibrant reds most of all. Whenever we see someone out and about with startlingly bright hair she says 'Oh look, she looks like your mate Cherry'

Scriveyn 08-12-2012 05:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40047

A piece of serendipity that came my way this week: Noted Aylesbury on the back of an LP cover of the British art group "Welfare State". It states the address of Lol Coxhill, of Brit improvised music fame, who sadly died last month.
According to Wikipedia he grew up in Aylesbury.

Only saw him in London last September:

Attachment 40048
Lol Coxhill (right)

Sundae 08-22-2012 04:35 AM

Thanks, Scriv. Small world.

Went to Thame (pronounced Tame) on the bus with Mum yesterday. Her treat.
Got pole position there and back (upstairs front seat) which is great for looking into people's gardens, bedroom windows and at men's bald spots which they haven't even noticed themselves yet.

Mum wanted to go to the market, I wanted to go to Waitrose and we both wanted to have lunch out.

I didn't take many photos. I don't often when I'm out with her, I think it's because I have someone to talk to! Now I've come back and thought of loads I could have taken of course. Never mind, maybe we'll go back another day.

Thame is a lovely place, just over the Oxon border. I used to live and work there. I'm sure all the local yokels will say it's gone to hell in a handcart, but those of us coming from Aylesbury just see a market town the way it should be. Small independent shops, especially catering to the tastes of nearby (wealthy) villages. Tea shops and cafes, butchers that sell hand-made pies, local eggs, game. High-end jewellers that don't need to display their prices, a chocolaterie, an Aga shop (for goodness sake!). And all that and everything.

We wandered the shops first. The bookshop is still open, which delighted me. I could spend hundreds in there, much of it on wrapping and cards. I didn't have a penny on me, so I couldn't even be tempted. They've moved the children's section though. It used to be in the back room, magically lit even on the gloomiest days by a large skylight. I used to creep in there to worship all the magical books. NB I was 19, not 9!

I dragged Mum into a kitchenalia shop - wonderful. It was like being in Heal's (Tottenham Court Road). Just the sort of things you never see in a town with only retail park tastes. An electric blue mixer with a see-through bowl - POW! When I win the lottery and can afford too many gadgets this is the kind of place I will head to. Lovely local staff (local accents anyway) helping people in a friendly way buy armfuls of things on their platinum Amexs. I did gaze wistfully at the Gruffalo and Very Hungry Caterpillar melamine sets though. Within my price range if the twins get baptised.

The old shoe shop had gone, as had the shop selling clothes by Ghost (I was skinny back then, they suited me). The jewellers where Mum bought me a watch for my 21st birthday was there though. Mum found a ring she liked. Then again, what's not to like about a diamond ring that costs over two grand without being ostentatious?

On to the market. Again, I could have spent lots of money. I really wish I'd taken a photo of the sign for American Cherry's though. The market wasn't as large as I remember, but then it was much busier than Aylesbury and seemed to have more serious shoppers, come in from the villages in their smart little cars for the day, or on the bus (there's a reason the rich stay rich!) Fruit and veg stalls, bread and bakery, cheese, eggs, a meat stall (sealed cuts in generator run refrigerated units - this isn't Egypt!). Saw some nice kaftans for me to waft about the house in on hot days, again should have taken a photo - labelled Kaffans. That was the same stall selling Linnen Trousers. I could have bought five or six bags too. Not handbags, bags for toting things to school now that mine is giving up the ghost. Needs to carry lunch, book, camera, purse, mobile etc as standard, and double as a shopping bag when I go into town. Not as easy to find as you think - except on Thame Market!

The flower stall was large and well stocked too. Like being back on Columbia Road in East London. Mum already has freesias in the hall, but I'd have bought some of their glorious pinks and sunflowers for the living room and kitchen respectively. Should have taken a... ah well.

Back via the bakery stall. They sold Rum Babas! Mum and I have been looking for these since I moved back home. When Mum & Dad were first married, they used to buy them as a treat from a delicatessan in Kingsbury. That closed when I was a teenager, but supermarkets still sold them. Now, nowhere seems to. I tried to make them some using a recipe I found online, but they turned into a sodden mess. As did I, finishing off the leftover rum.

Turns out they weren't that great - they were a bit dry. Still, it was a bit of excitement. And it would be hard to live up to the memory of the early rum babas, bought at a time when the 'rents couldn't even afford a television and went to bed at 21.00 to save on electricity.

Sundae 08-22-2012 04:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And so off to find somewhere for lunch.

We had a look at a couple of menus, but nothing took our fancy.
We stopped at The Birdcage because there was outside seating and I really need a wee. I had a pint of Hoegaarden - it's not usual to find that on tap.

We debated the menu. The landlady came and spoke to us - very polite without being unctuous, very helpful. South African I think. They served a large menu of steak, cooked on volcanic rock at your table. I've had this before in France and in London, it's all good fun. They also had an exotic steak menu including Springbok, Eland, Camel, Zebra, Bison, Wildebeest, Kangaroo, Impala, Oryx, Ostrich, Crocodile, Wild Boar, Kudu and Llama [subject to availability].

The lunch menu looked nice. I would have happily settled for the grilled whitebait and shared chips with Mum, but she wanted to try somewhere else. Fair enough.

A sign outside a sweetshop, taken specially for Ali, Ducks, Zen, Sandy (did I miss anyone?) oh, Kagen.
The blackboard outside the pub.

Sundae 08-22-2012 04:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thame High Street in both directions from the front of The Birdcage.
It was a warm sunny day - the photos don't do the sky justice.

Sundae 08-22-2012 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Spread Eagle Hotel across from the pub.
When I worked in Thame we had all of our Christmas Parties there. And this was back in the days when companies paid for the whole shebang, including a free bar.

I was on the Christmas Party Planning Committee from my first year (they were themed, we worked hard) and every year the hotel threatened to ban us and every year they checked the bill, settled witout question within 14 days and every year they let us back again. The company I worked for is still doing business, but I can't imagine that they pay for such a perk these days.

Sundae 08-22-2012 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We wandered off to Waitrose, keeping an eye out for somewhere to eat along the way. walked past a little place called Cafe Bobo which had a good choice of fish on the Specials Board outside. Grilled sardines caught my eye especially.

So we went upstairs (always a gamble because it could be grim) and found a pleasant place, 3/4 full, all windows open and good and airy. We sat by the window and checked out the menu. I debated over all the fish and also quite fancied the potato skins. But when the waiter arrived - who I also quite fancied - I found myself ordering the breakfast! It was just the perfect breakfast for me, once I'd asked for no tomato.

Mum had the potato skins, so neither of us had fish in the end anyway!

Little niggles. The menu was lacking in detail. If I order a salad I want to know what is in it. Ham Salad is not a full description. Same with the breakfast - when it arrived I was disappointed to find one of everything. Certainly for the price. In the end it was as much as I could manage (they gave me double beans to make up for the tomato). Mum's loaded potato skins were pretty much a jacket potato cut in half. And she had to play Search the Bacon - although the slab of mozarella on top was certainly generous.

And the woman in the kitchen! OMG what a moaner! We could hear every word. An order came in for take-away and she told the (polite, efficient, handsome, young) waiter, "Well you'll have to do it yourself, I've got too many orders already!"

We waited 25 minutes for our meals. Not appalling, but I honestly think she started each separate order from scratch, rather than being able to handle multiple orders. And the couple next to us received the wrong omlette. She came out to make excuses. No, really. She showed them what was written on the order slip. Like they gave a damn. The old chap genially agreed to eat it anyway and she condescended enough to say she wouldn't charge him for the extra ingredient he hadn't wanted.

Anyway, here is my breakfast.
Don't start with the bacon mockery.