The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Aircraft (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31256)

Glinda 02-27-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1026861)
A selection of aircraft using the 'Mach Loop' low flying area in Wales.
Includes aircraft of the RAF, USAF, RCAF and Czech Republic AF.
The RCAF colour scheme is eye catching, shall we say.
The RAF A400 at the 1.00m mark is a sight worth seeing. Embiggen.*

*©Gravdigr Inc.

Day-ummm! That's incredible.

I feel bad for the people who live down in that little valley, though. Hearing that shit day in and day out would drive me nuts.

Carruthers 02-27-2019 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1026866)
Day-ummm! That's incredible.

I feel bad for the people who live down in that little valley, though. Hearing that shit day in and day out would drive me nuts.

You wouldn't be the only one. A farmer in NW Wales was driven to distraction by low flying aircraft and complaints to the MoD did not bear fruit.
In desperation he painted the words 'Piss Off Biggles' on a barn roof to get the message across:

Attachment 66595

BTW Biggles was the nickname of a fictional RAF pilot, James Bigglesworth, who appeared in a series of children's adventure stories by Capt W E Johns.
There's no truth in the story that the last unpublished book in the series was to be entitled 'Biggles Flies Undone'.

Link

Griff 02-28-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1026865)
Psshhhh. I wouldn't have left. Fuck those bitches. :eyebrow:

Folks like that is one reason I don't carry.

Gravdigr 02-28-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1026908)
Folks like that is one reason I don't carry.

Folks like that are the reason a lot of people do.

slang 02-28-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1026865)
Psshhhh. I wouldn't have left. Fuck those bitches. :eyebrow:

Seeing this brings back memories.

I've been a non driver for years now. While there are some major down sides to not driving, there are surely upsides.

Crap like this is just a distant memory. Parking combat AND needless interaction with law enforcement, both effectively at zero.

I do sorta enjoy seeing others fight over spaces though, as I exit my Uber at the store entrance or park my bike.

Glinda 02-28-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1026867)
You wouldn't be the only one. A farmer in NW Wales was driven to distraction by low flying aircraft and complaints to the MoD did not bear fruit.
In desperation he painted the words 'Piss Off Biggles' on a barn roof to get the message across:

Attachment 66595

BTW Biggles was the nickname of a fictional RAF pilot, James Bigglesworth, who appeared in a series of children's adventure stories by Capt W E Johns.
There's no truth in the story that the last unpublished book in the series was to be entitled 'Biggles Flies Undone'.

Link

I highly approve! :p:

Carruthers 03-02-2019 10:15 AM

There is nothing quite like the sound of a Rolls-Royce Merlin!

Be aware that there is some language at the end of the video which might not be appreciated by all. :eek:

Gravdigr 03-02-2019 10:48 AM

I appreciate a gratuitous bit of "Fuck me!", now and again.

Gravdigr 03-02-2019 10:52 AM

I'm a fan of the surprise low pass:

Low enough to send the beach canopies and umbrellas aloft!

:devil:

Carruthers 03-02-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027134)
I'm a fan of the surprise low pass:

Low enough to send the beach canopies and umbrellas aloft!

:devil:

Sneaky!

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2019 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the government spreading magic dust... :yesnod:

fargon 03-03-2019 07:22 AM

He's dumping fuel? That's the only thing that might do that is lite oil. I don't know why planes dump fuel, but it's a thing. Philthijinx help please Sir.

Carruthers 03-03-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1027200)
He's dumping fuel? That's the only thing that might do that is lite oil. I don't know why planes dump fuel, but it's a thing. Philthijinx help please Sir.

Products of combustion include water vapour which quickly freezes into ice crystals at altitude and forms condensation trails.
The rainbow effect suggests light refracted through those crystals.

Fuel dumping usually occurs in an emergency when the aircraft has to reduce to its maximum landing weight.
This can be governed by runway length available and associated braking performance, and also the need not to over stress the airframe.

Here's the ATC recording and some video from an incident where a British Airways 747 experienced an engine surge, and subsequent shut down, on departure from Phoenix.
Fuel was dumped away from residential areas and the aircraft returned safely about an hour later.

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2019 09:57 AM

Just prior to 9 minutes, the incoming aircraft looked like they were shuffling cards.
I was always intrigued by the planes approaching Philly airport, from north to south at night. Looking at them from just south of the runway I could see as many as 8 or 10 sets of headlights in the que for landing. I know they were miles apart but also moving fast.

Carruthers 03-04-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027216)
Just prior to 9 minutes, the incoming aircraft looked like they were shuffling cards.
I was always intrigued by the planes approaching Philly airport, from north to south at night. Looking at them from just south of the runway I could see as many as 8 or 10 sets of headlights in the que for landing. I know they were miles apart but also moving fast.

Have you looked at Flightradar24?

LINK