The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   All you bike people (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19911)

lookout123 03-27-2009 06:29 PM

All you bike people

hi diddely ho there neighbors, lookout has decided to tackle another hobby. or die tri-ing. *groan* Here's the deal, after a few years goading a couple of people have suckered me into the idea of triathlons. I'm going to give it a whirl in a sprint event in a few months. I've got my training plan in place and all that good stuff. What I don't have is a bike. I've got a regular crappy rider that is doing fine, but I'll need something better before I get to the starting line.

I don't know if I'll survive to ever do this again so I don't want to drop a ton of money on the top of the line gear but I also don't want to buy crap that won't make it up the first hill.

I went to the cycle shop here and after meeting the owner I said, "I need a road bike, I'm going to ride in XYZ race on the eleventy third of june. I have money to buy right now, but I know nothing about bikes. What can you tell me?" He sneered and replied, "what do you want a history of bikes?"

basically he told me he wouldn't give me the time of day even to tell me the differences between his $700 bikes and his $8000 bikes. So screw him. That's what the cellar is for, right?

I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs and I know size is important but I'm not going to drop $200 on a professional fitting when the assholes won't even tell me about the bikes first. What equipment do I need? What equipment is just nice to have? What equipment can I do without now, knowing that if I stick with cycling I'll upgrade/buy later?

I've read about Dawes bikes on some reviews and I know you can pick them up for a song on ebay because they are essentially mass produced knockoffs with cheaper components. I don't know the benefits of a shimano 105 v tiagra v ultegra but I know I need something. So what do I need?

I'm a complete novice. help.

Pico and ME 03-27-2009 06:35 PM

Damn, LO...try another bike shop, one that wants to sell you a bike.

TheMercenary 03-27-2009 06:39 PM

I am more of a mountain bike guy. I can't tell you much other than to be truely competitive in that kind of race you will eventually spend between $1000 and $2000. A co-worker who did his first one said that he felt like a third grader competing against high school students when they wizzed past him on their super light bikes, which is pretty much where I am going with this. The lighter the bike the faster you will go. So you need a super light (weight) bike to compete. Otherwise have fun and good luck on your endevor.

lookout123 03-27-2009 07:29 PM

Oh, hell. Compete isn't even a goal, Complete is what I'm more worried about. If the bug takes hold then I'll worry about being able to keep up with these guys. Right now its just kind of an ego thing to see if I can do it.

BigV 04-05-2009 07:20 PM

complete? under your own steam or on a gurney? if A, then see the doctor first.

Why.

ZenGum 04-05-2009 08:00 PM

I know a tiny bit about mountain bikes, but that doesn't apply to triathalon / racing bikes.
But... what Pico said. In this economic situation, if you walk into a shop and say I have cash to spend, tell me about your bikes, you can reasonably expect damn good service, not snobbery. I hope that fool is on commission.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to do triathalions, though, but good luck.

lookout123 04-06-2009 12:00 AM

Thanks. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do it either. I just want to know if I can do it. I may train and fail, but then at least I'll know. I don't have any problem seeing other people and knowing they are better than I am at some activity or skill, it just bugs me when I admire their skill and don't know if I have what it takes to do it.

Anyway, I picked up a Diamondback carbon fiber racing bike with ultegra components which from what I gather is good quality entry level stuff that will hold up under some racing. I spent more than I wanted but I also know if I stick with it I won't have much to upgrade for the next few years.

Today I woke up and had a very enjoyable 10 mile ride and was amazed to find I'd barely broken a sweat while averaging 85 RPM throughout the ride. It felt good even though it was a short distance.

The next major hurtle is I know my swim technique is inadequate to the challenge so I'll be taking some lessons this summer. or drown trying.

ZenGum 04-06-2009 12:30 AM

I have heard that triathalons are good for people who think they don't have enough suffereing in their lives. Suffer away!

There's a universal sufferage joke to be made here, but I doubt it would be funny.

dar512 04-06-2009 08:58 AM

I have a friend who decided to get into shape in her early 40's by training for a triathlon. She trained for a year and completed just fine.

I don't know what she rode, though. I think your best bet is to go to a meet and see what other folks are riding.

LabRat 04-06-2009 11:11 AM

Well shit! I totally missed your original post, I apologise for not replying. Got any pics of your new toy pretty please?? Here is the bike and trainer I bought in '04. I didn't feel the need to buy a "Tri" bike right out of the gate for multiple reasons, although they are purrrrdy. To be perfectly frank, unless you are an elite athlete, the few oz. you save with this frame or that disc wheel aren't worth the $$ IMHO. There are other things that I definately would recommend because they actually do make a difference. I would be happy to share my :2cents: whenever I notice a post. :o

I belong to a tri club that includes people who are doing their very first sprint, to those who have completed multiple Ironman Tri's (including Hawaii!!) and other ultradistance events, so I have a wealth of knowledge I can tap for pretty much any question or concern. Most of them are happy to share their experience. I would recommend the same if you can find a club in your area. I would assume there are multiple ones considering your outdoor sport season is pretty much all year long as opposed to here. :)

I'm not a total tri-newb, but I'm not a "contender" either. (What I call someone who regularly places in their age group or is an overall top place finisher and is generally more competative about this sport than I am) I do finish in the top half of my age group though, (occasionally just out of awards) and am always competing against myself for Personal Bests.

Here's my thread where I have posted about my adventures in the sport of triathlon, we can chat there if you want. Here is the first tri I am doing this year, it's also in June. I haven't decided which others I am doing yet, but I am going to do at least one more later this year.

Train safe!!

xoxoxoBruce 04-06-2009 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today's paper...

LabRat 04-07-2009 10:39 AM

HA!!! Here is an exerpt from an email I sent to a friend telling them about the swim portion of my first tri:

Quote:

... so you will definitely want to spend a lot of time in the water. As much as possible in actual open water, not a pool. Unfortunately, at the time of my first tri, open water swims were out of the question. Of course I had swam in lakes and rivers before, so I figured it would be not that big of a deal. I was able to swim 550 meters continuously in the pool, and feel pretty good at the end. So I figured I was OK. OMG, not.

Because you are swimming with X amount of other people hanging and clawing on you, it is freaking terrifying. Other swimmers will be kicking you in the head, shoulders, sides, pulling on your arms and feet.... Most of this will be accidental due to everyone being packed so close together, but some won't be. Even if you are used to physical contact during sports, this is so different. Even though I had read and I thought, prepared myself for all the crashing and practical drowning, I had a small panic attack about 1/3 way to the bouy, (it was an out and back around a buoy) and had to mentally calm myself even though I was 100% comfortable in a lake when alone. The waves and splashing from the other swimmers are going to cause you to aspirate a lot more water, even when you exaggerate your body roll to get your head up to breathe. Then, you have to keep lifting up your head to see where the fuck you are, so you don't end up swimming too far off course. That screws with your rhythm, and costs energy in the long run. Not to mention how it fucks with your head to find out somehow you are waaayy out too far and now technically have to swim further that the required distance :) I ended up having to switch to backstroke once the field had thinned enough after the turnaround so I could catch my breath and calm down. I couldn't swim freestyle anymore, I. was. done.

You know how at the end of the swim, you see the participants running up the beach, pulling off their wet suits, looking all cool as they head off to T1? I could barely *walk*. Honest to god, I thought my heart was going to explode it was pounding so hard. I have never been that physically drained in my LIFE.

Um. I guess what I am trying to say is swim. A lot. In a bacon flavored wet suit surrounded by a pack of wild hyenas if possible to give yourself some realistic practice. :D

lookout123 04-07-2009 10:41 AM

LOL. That makes sense. When you're 1400 meters from shore and your body is tired, your breathing is getting harder, and the panic starts to set in... I can see the heart doing some funky things.

xoxoxoBruce 04-07-2009 11:01 AM

You have to make sure your brain stays in charge, not the adrenaline. The objective is to finish.

lookout123 04-07-2009 11:08 AM

Yep. or so I've heard. It's going to be difficult though. I have a hard enough time deciding which of my two heads is in charge, so adding a third component may be tough.