The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What has shocked you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30073)

footfootfoot 07-30-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 965523)
wtf did you do to your teeth that's so expensive to fix? Are you having them replaced with hen's teeth cultivated by virgin cheerleaders?

According to my dentist it's usually what you didn't do to your teeth, e.g. brushing, flossing, regular cleanings, brushing again, and laying off the sticky sweet stuff and not sipping sweetened coffee all day. And of course, refraining from biting rocks or opening beer bottles with your teeth.

Since it's BigV I'm going to go with biting leather to impart an interesting texture to some BDSM appliance for $500, Alex.

infinite monkey 07-30-2016 09:59 AM

I'll take 'fell on the playground and shoved a tooth up into my head and the chain reaction of lifetime dental issues'for 1000, alex.

It's expensive and painful to have teeth under those circumstances. Bv might have similar issues.

footfootfoot 07-30-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 965542)
I'll take 'fell on the playground and shoved a tooth up into my head and the chain reaction of lifetime dental issues'for 1000, alex.

It's expensive and painful to have teeth under those circumstances. Bv might have similar issues.

A long time standard in dentistry for low income Vermonters is to pull all your teeth when you are young. I worked with a number of people who had full dentures in their 20s. Pulling teeth is cheaper than fillings and root canal.

Gravdigr 07-30-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 965546)
A long time standard in dentistry for low income Vermonters is to pull all your teeth when you are young. I worked with a number of people who had full dentures in their 20s. Pulling teeth is cheaper than fillings and root canal.

We have that same tradition in Kentucky, but here, it's just for the pain pills.:neutral:

elSicomoro 08-02-2016 02:21 AM

My dad knocked several of his teeth out in his early 20s...they gave him dentures. This was the mid-60s.

Sundae 08-02-2016 03:10 AM

False teeth were an acceptable wedding present before WWII. Grandad was viewed with some bemusement for holding onto his chompers rather than having them replaced. They lasted til he died in his 80s.

I think I must have inherited mine from his side of the family - no work done EVAH. None out, no braces (though they'd look nicerer if I had) no fillings, nowt.

monster 08-04-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 965542)

exactly .... (almost) no-one here strikes me immediately as someone who wouldn't take care of their teeth ....must be a story.....

monster 08-04-2016 04:03 PM

..... I have some crowns from wear and tear etc ...but nothing like that $$$$!

Gravdigr 08-04-2016 06:04 PM

3 broken jaw teeth. From clenching. Anger/rage issues.

footfootfoot 08-04-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 965947)
3 broken jaw teeth. From clenching. Anger/rage issues.

Aren't all teeth jaw teeth?

sexobon 08-04-2016 06:48 PM

A jaw tooth is a back tooth (i.e. molar). The uppers and lowers occlude when you clench your teeth.

footfootfoot 08-04-2016 07:14 PM

I figured he meant molars but still, they are all in the jaw right? Well, except the three he broke.

Undertoad 08-04-2016 07:20 PM

*snort*

Gravdigr 08-05-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 965951)
Well, except the three he broke.

There still there, somewhat...to the gumline anyway.

Molars, yeah. The big ones.

"Jawteeth" may be a Kentuckyism.

glatt 08-25-2016 11:20 PM

My elderly cousin died this evening. It shocked me because I thought he had a week or so left in him.

I'm happy for him. His life at the end was pretty miserable and it isn't any longer. But now, even though I am tired, I am wired. I got up to make lists of all the people I have to call tomorrow so I could stop thinking about it.

My POA has expired, so I can't do much official, but I still have half a dozen things left to do. And I left a phone number at work that I will need. So I guess I have to go in for at least an hour or so.

Sorry, I'm yammering. Gotta turn this brain off.