The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   7/28/2003: 1951 Chevy Truck-Raft (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3737)

Undertoad 07-28-2003 11:52 AM

7/28/2003: 1951 Chevy Truck-Raft

http://cellar.org/2003/cubantruckraft.jpg

Now this is ingenuity: 12 Cubans were detained and sent back to Cuba after piloting this thing towards the US last week. They actually attached a propeller to the drive shaft and got about 8 MPH out of it. It's all held afloat by empty 55-gallon drums.

Trouble is, it's too big. It was spotted 40 miles south of Key West, which means they only made it about halfway before being picked up and sent back.

You can't stay in the US at all unless you actually make it to shore. But this level of thinking and effort should be rewarded... I say this is exactly the kind of immigrant we want, and they should have been allowed to stay.

pegusitas 07-28-2003 12:45 PM

it's disposal

Did you happen to see how the Coast Guard disposed of the truck? I saw news footage of them using the machine gun to blow it up! Pretty cool! You could hear all of the crewmen yelling "Whoa!" when it exploded on the water and then sank to the bottom.

Griff 07-28-2003 12:49 PM

Re: it's disposal

Quote:

Originally posted by pegusitas
Did you happen to see how the Coast Guard disposed of the truck? I saw news footage of them using the machine gun to blow it up! Pretty cool! You could hear all of the crewmen yelling "Whoa!" when it exploded on the water and then sank to the bottom.
Say it ain't so! Dang, that was a cool rig.

xoxoxoBruce 07-28-2003 01:30 PM

I'm with you, Griff. It looked like a lot of careful planning went into the effort with life jackets and everything. I think it's a shame to blow up that rig. Hell it's a shame to even stop them. If they can cross 90 miles of open ocean then they're smart enough to be an asset to us, or is that U.S..

Griff 07-28-2003 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
If they can cross 90 miles of open ocean then they're smart enough to be an asset to us, or is that U.S..
Yep.

arz 07-28-2003 03:37 PM

I'm thinking the life jackets were supplied by the Coast Guard.

Griff 07-28-2003 04:06 PM

You're probably right there. I doubt that you'd use much highly reflective tape if you didn't want to be seen.

Senor Oso 07-28-2003 04:11 PM

Holy crap, that looks exactly like something you'd see on Junkyard Wars.

elSicomoro 07-28-2003 04:50 PM

Re: 7/28/2003: 1951 Chevy Truck-Raft

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
But this level of thinking and effort should be rewarded... I say this is exactly the kind of immigrant we want, and they should have been allowed to stay.
...so that they can become criminals with ingenious ideas.

xoxoxoBruce 07-28-2003 05:29 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking the life jackets were supplied by the Coast Guard.
Maybe, but I saw another picture that was taken from some ways off, that showed them. And three of the men don't have them on.
Quote:

I doubt that you'd use much highly reflective tape if you didn't want to be seen.
What about that bright yellow tarp?
Quote:

...so that they can become criminals with ingenious ideas.
That's the first racist statement I've ever heard from you.:(

Leah 07-28-2003 05:39 PM

Thank god they weren't on their way to Australia, we have enough of that happening over here. But I like their idea, couldn't part with the car hey!.:rattat:

linknoid 07-28-2003 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leah
Thank god they weren't on their way to Australia, we have enough of that happening over here. But I like their idea, couldn't part with the car hey!.:rattat:
Enough criminals?

Quote:

MAN IN BLACK: You've made your decision then?

VIZZINI: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

MAN IN BLACK: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

elSicomoro 07-28-2003 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
That's the first racist statement I've ever heard from you.
I'll try to sum this up as simply as possible...and a number of my 4800 posts along with various members of the Cellar will back me up:

--El sicómoro is not a racist.
--I make fun of damned near anything and everything.

chrisinhouston 07-28-2003 07:45 PM

I wonder if the truck would have been drivable? Were they just using it to float over on or did they hook up a propellar to the drive shaft.

Too bad they didn't have AAA!:)

elSicomoro 07-28-2003 07:49 PM

They made it drivable--reread the info under the photo.