The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The local tourist (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24882)

Cloud 04-08-2011 09:47 PM

The local tourist

it's a truism that you never visit your own city/location's local attractions. I grew up 30 miles from San Francisco and never rode a cable car until I was in my 20s.

What local attractions should you really visit? Or are in your city or region that you could see if you were interested?

In my area, there are 3 historic missions--the school kids go, but I've never seen them, in my 20+ years here. In the larger area there are indigenous cliff dwellings-some of the oldest native American dwellings there are still extant, and I really should see those too.

zippyt 04-08-2011 10:21 PM

I Grew up inMemphis and NEVER went to tour GraceLand ( Elvis's House )

casimendocina 04-09-2011 04:19 AM

I think I've visited pretty much all of them bar a couple of museums (e.g. the Ayers House and the Edmund Wright House Museum-I have been to a wedding reception at Ayers House though so that will have to do). However, when I'm living in Adelaide I don't get to the Museum or the Art Gallery enough when they have special exhibitions despite it not being far or difficult to get to.

A couple of the touristy places (Hahndorf) I consider not worth going to, although the times when I have (the result of an invitation or it being at the end of a walk through the hills), I've been surprised at how much I enjoyed myself.

They sell Beerenberg jam at the supermarkets here for foreigners and I go all gooey and parochial on the inside when I see it on the shelf and then buy the French jam (because it has no added sugar) or the Middle Eastern jmade am because it's cheaper (and the Middle Eastern shop is very close to work and therefore easy to get to).

Sundae 04-09-2011 08:07 AM

I should go back to Aylesbury Museum.

I will go on a good day and take a picture of the garden, it is very lovely. I nearly wrote "grounds" (because it is a public building) but that would give competely the wrong impression. It's in the old, very cramped part of town - the part the 60s councillors didn't get round to bulldozing because of lack of funds - so it's not much more than some of your back yards. But it's old and walled and has mature fruit trees, and holds the sunlight beautifully.

Oh and of course I should see the museum again.
we used to go at least twice a year when I was a child.
I expect a lot to have changed since then.

DanaC 04-09-2011 08:13 AM

My dentist is in the outskirts of Leeds. Every time I go I pass by a ruined abbey. It's beautiful. Truly staggeringly beautiful. I keep saying to ma that we really should go and walk around it. We never have ;p

A couple of pics of it: don't really show the scale or beauty fully. It's a 12th Century Cistercian abbey.

http://directoryofleeds.net/blog/wp-...kr-300x199.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/...1a8b9325f0.jpg

Sundae 04-09-2011 08:14 AM

If you did, you'd never post the pictures :P
Bad grrrrl.

You checked your post recently or what?

DanaC 04-09-2011 08:17 AM

I did! I posted in the happy thread! No pics yet (big surprise) I seem to have a mental block on sorting out photos.

also: edited above post to include some pics of abbey.

Cloud 04-09-2011 09:27 PM

Carlsbad Caverns is near here, and I have been. But only once, many years ago.

xoxoxoBruce 04-10-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casimendocina (Post 722188)
I think I've visited pretty much all of them bar.

Heh heh heh. :lol:

casimendocina 04-10-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 722366)
Heh heh heh. :lol:

We've missed you Bruce!

Gravdigr 04-10-2011 01:19 PM

Guilty. I live about twenty minutes from Mammoth Cave National Park. Never been. It always comes back to "Well, it's right there, I can do that any old time." And I never do.

Cloud 04-10-2011 03:08 PM

There's also White Sands, which I have been to, once; at night for a moonlight visit. Was very cool. Should go again!

and then there's Mexico and the Border itself, which is pretty much off limits now, unless you have a death wish. Hard to promote tourism to a place where several people are gunned down in the streets every day.

Happy Monkey 04-12-2011 06:58 PM

Washington Monument
White House
Holocaust Museum
Native American Museum
Building Museum

HungLikeJesus 04-12-2011 07:10 PM

I've lived in Colorado for 12 years and have never been skiing here.

I've been to Red Rocks Amphitheatre once - for a movie, not a concert.

Other touristy things we do do when we have guests in from out of state.

Cloud 04-12-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 722730)
Washington Monument
White House
Holocaust Museum
Native American Museum
Building Museum

so, are you saying you haven't been to any of these? I do highly recommend the Native American Museum--it was awesome. and free! lunch wasn't free, but also awesome--all native american cuisine from different areas.