The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Goodnight my little wolf (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26593)

DanaC 12-29-2011 07:53 PM

Goodnight my little wolf

I said goodbye to my little Pilaudog at around 00:15 tonight. An hour and a half ago.

He's barely eaten for days. Spent most of Christmas trying to get food into him. Every so often I'd find something that got his interest enough to eat and he'd have a little rally. Then there was two days where he ate almost proper amounts and seemed a lot better. But the weight had dropped off him and then he stopped eating again. Took him to the vets today and he said his heart was quite bad, and the only thing he was able to do was give him an injection to ease his pain and see how he got on over the next 24 hours, to see if I could get him to eat.

Watching him on the sofa, with his breathing laboured, and unable to muster interest for any food, not even forbidden favourites...and then when he couldn't walk properly to get to the garden and stuff...he's been coping more than he's been living, for days now. He started doing little gasping breaths and I just thought, I can't let him go through the night.

It was peaceful. The vet came out and he was on his own sofa at the end. With me sat on the arm of the sofa in full view of him, and J (his daddy) sat next to the sofa. He was calm, and didn't even react when the vet was putting the catheter in. It was so quick, and so peaceful. He just relaxed and went into a sleep and then his heart stopped.

Hardest decision I ever had to make. But it was time. I gave him as much chance as I could to rally if there was any rallying to be done. But at this point, even he'd rallied...for what? For me? *sad smile*

Goodnight my little wolf. You were a Good Dog, even when you were being a little git. You did good.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2011 07:57 PM

Aw fuck. :cry:

monster 12-29-2011 08:04 PM

Dani, so sorry :(

infinite monkey 12-29-2011 08:05 PM

I'm so sorry. What a wonderful fella. :(

DanaC 12-29-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks guys. I'm glad I have the Cellar. I think I'd feel extraordinarily alone right now otherwise. The house is horribly empty.

monster 12-29-2011 08:07 PM

:apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw::apaw:

monster 12-29-2011 08:07 PM

(hugs from my cats)

DanaC 12-29-2011 08:08 PM

*smiles* Thankyou. That actually made me smile.

Trilby 12-29-2011 08:23 PM

I'm so sorry Dani.

If I could reach across the ocean I'd give you a big hug.

It hurts so much to do the right thing, but Pilau was counting on you to do it and you did not fail him.

Undertoad 12-29-2011 08:33 PM

:sniff: You have done well by this old dawg. Well done Dani. That's the important thing.

Clodfobble 12-29-2011 08:34 PM

You were with him and for him to the end. He knows that. I hope your pain eases soon, Dana.

Griff 12-29-2011 08:35 PM

He was a lovely friend. sorry D

Lola Bunny 12-29-2011 08:38 PM

:hug: you held on til the end....that counts alot. At least he's not in pain anymore and I'm sure he understood your love. Be strong. :hug:

zippyt 12-29-2011 08:41 PM

Sorry for your loss Dani .

classicman 12-29-2011 08:50 PM

Oh Dani, my heart goes out to you. He was such a good boy.
You gave him the best life any dog could ask for.
I'm sure he's chasin sticks and such wherever he is.
:hug: