The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Makin' Bacon (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15112)

xoxoxoBruce 08-17-2007 05:43 AM

Makin' Bacon

Make your own bacon.
http://www.bsbrewing.com/blog/?p=261
Quote:

Perhaps home-made bacon’s greatest appeal to me was the possibility of slicing it to whatever thickness my heart desires. Actually, my heart desires me not to cut bacon that thick. But my stomach will really be into it. Speaking of stomachs, home-made bacon offered me another once-in-a-short-lifetime opportunity: the chance to speculate on pork bellies.

LabRat 08-17-2007 09:35 AM

O.M.G.

I am in love. Sense of humor and great cook???? He's from Iowa, huh?

Oops, Hi honey! Love you! What time will you be home for supper? I'm making your favorite!! While wearing your favorite!!
SWAK!!

Flint 08-17-2007 10:11 AM

I believe I have a gem of an idea for a new food product. I've seen all the soy-substitute meat products, and it got me to thinking...

What is it that sells a product? A catchy name, of course! And I have one: Steak-un.

It's imitation bacon made out of stratified, compressed strip-steaks. All the bacony flavor, none of the bacon! It'll be the new Folgers Crytsals.

xoxoxoBruce 08-17-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 375801)
O.M.G.

I am in love. Sense of humor and great cook???? He's from Iowa, huh?

Oops, Hi honey! Love you! What time will you be home for supper? I'm making your favorite!! While wearing your favorite!!
SWAK!!

Simma down now, jus simma down. Yes, he's from Iowa but in the comments it says he's transplanted to the Northwest.

Cloud 08-17-2007 10:23 AM

have you ever heard a hog being butchered?:shock: It's rather unforgettable.

and besides . . . bacon is bad for you.

Drat!

SteveDallas 08-17-2007 10:48 AM

I though this said "Mavis Beacon."

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 375801)
What time will you be home for supper? I'm making your favorite!! While wearing your favorite!!

So, you're making bacon for this guy? While at the same time wearing bacon? Well, whatever floats your boat.

Griff 08-17-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 375740)

Have you noticed a reduction in bacon quality? I've been unimpressed lately, but not enough to make my own... yet.

theotherguy 08-17-2007 11:43 AM

I just love bacon. Breakfast? Good. Lunch? Good. Dinner? Good. I am hungry now and think I will have to go with the BLT. No, the bacon cheeseburger.

LabRat 08-17-2007 11:53 AM

No, bacon is not his favorite...and I don't believe I've ever put any food item on my body on purpose. Unless you count that time in high school my best friend and I made homemade masks... ::takes quick trip down memory lane:: I have pics of that somewhere. :lol:

I had BLT's for dinner Monday, and the leftover bacon on a salad Tues. It was the Hormel black label $tuff, because the rest was all fat with barely a hint of pink. Manufacturers don't likely care, they get paid by the pound. You can buy bacon directly at the meat counter though, it's thicker and usually meatier.

Damn, now I'm all hungry.

Undertoad 08-17-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 375810)
What is it that sells a product? A catchy name, of course! And I have one: Steak-un.

They used to sell tofu in tube shape, and they called it Not Dogs

I suggested they should sell it in patty shape, and call it Shamburgers

theotherguy 08-17-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theotherguy (Post 375841)
I just love bacon. Breakfast? Good. Lunch? Good. Dinner? Good. I am hungry now and think I will have to go with the BLT. No, the bacon cheeseburger.

My cheeseburger was sub-par and the bacon was like the microwave crap. I should have gone to a better place.

seakdivers 08-17-2007 02:43 PM

I actually make my own bacon all the time. :) you just use pork bellies that you brine, then its off to the smoker for flavor.
You can also use pork roasts to make Buckboard Bacon, which is very simiar to Canadian bacon.

Griff 08-17-2007 02:48 PM

I bought my Dad a new coal stove today. The stove place carries those egg deals you folks like so much.

cough

Urbane Guerrilla 08-18-2007 03:30 AM

Trader Joe's offers uncured, smoked bacon in 1-lb packages. Cooked, this bacon characteristically does not exude the milky-colored fluid from the (inexpensive) injection-curing process. But you do get all the saturated fat you ought to -- better make certain of your exercise and your red wine that day...

DanaC 08-18-2007 04:59 PM

"Wahwah wawa wuh wahw wahwuh red wine" okay. Got all that.