The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Clay 09-08-2018 09:09 PM

Bought the Walmart MoneyCard, a prepaid Visa debit card. Had some stuff to pay online and figured this was an easy way. They have online activation, go put in the info. It says it "couldn't verify my identity." After looking it up I found that there are multiple causes, but it sure isn't because I don't know my name and social.

So now the card is activated but I can only swipe at POS, no online, no cash withdrawal, and the card can never be reloaded. Call the support line, told there's nothing they can do and the card is completely done once emptied. They have no process whatsoever to deal with what appears to be a common problem, judging by the one-star reviews online. I know Walmart is not exactly top tier but this is just ridiculous.

Learn from my mistake... avoid the Walmart MoneyCard and find a proper prepaid debit card. Look it up real quick and make sure the results aren't full of one-star reviews. Fortunately I can deal with it and get done what I need to, but it is a true pain in the ass. My options are to suck it up and spend the money away at POS swipe, or wait some weeks for them to send me a refund check.

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1014667)
it is really, really tiny. And the area is grass/weeds, fall leaves/twigs and garden wilderness. The whole ring cost 55 quid about 30 years ago. It's that tiny. I've told Thor he can try with the flashlight at night if he wants (coincidentally I bought new decent flashlight yesterday), but I most likely won't try. It is not going to be found.

99.9% of the jewelry in the world isn't worth shit compared to the experiences and memories the owner attaches to it. That's the real value of possessions. Even if Thor finds some pieces and you decide not to repair it, having those pieces in the jewelry box can't hurt.

monster 09-08-2018 09:57 PM

@Clay

can you use it at POS to buy a different card that actually works? I used to sell prepaid Visa cards as part of a fundraiser for my kids' school, and they were only available in some very specific denominations, but we found we could buy a big denomination and use it to get cards in different denominations -e.g. but $100 card and change it into $50 and 2 * $25.

monster 09-08-2018 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1014672)
99.9% of the jewelry in the world isn't worth shit compared to the experiences and memories the owner attaches to it. That's the real value of possessions. Even if Thor finds some pieces and you decide not to repair it, having those pieces in the jewelry box can't hurt.

Booth boys went out with the flashlight but didn't find anything. It's really really small.

But you think memories etc are attached to certain things and I have been finding they kind of aren't. Which is a really weird realization for me because I'm a terrible hoarder. I'm sure it's shock and I'll be devastated later when something about the horribleness of it hits me more, but it was just a thing. Finding it won't bring him back. And the memories? They hit you when you least expect it. It's places and events and smells and sounds that do it...

I was at Thunderboy's Water polo tournament a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night. 4pmish game at a rival high school in town. First away game of the season. Sat in the stands (which never happens at the home games because I'm always on the score table), early for the game because I'd dropped him off an hour before the game for warm up... and it dawned on me beest wasn't going to walk in and join me just before the start of the game, straight from work, like he always did on such occasions. He wasn't coming. It was pretty fucking horrible.

Bizarre though tit might seem, if there ever was a best time to lose the stone out of one's engagement ring, this is probably it. Because I have a lot of shit to help me put it in persepctive.

I'm really fucking pissed tho. why didn't I take them off? Well, I was only planning on planting a couple of mini plants I just bought ...but it was a nice evening and the job just kind of escalated.... Why did I take my gloves off which might have protected it? Because the lopper id hard with gloves and not dirty or full of sap. :/

What if? pointless. Beest is till gone. And at least I managed to keep my ring in tact this long. He lost his before we were even married!

Here's a sad pic of the loss: Attachment 64796

monster 09-08-2018 10:17 PM

...and that might still look bigger that it is ...I have child-sized fingers (diameter-wise, not trump-wise). I had to have the rings sized down because they don't make wedding rings in child sizes. My wedding band is fractionally smaller than a dime

Clodfobble 09-08-2018 10:20 PM

Sorry, monster. If it's shock, well, I hope it stays that way. Otherwise, I commend you for letting it go so gently.

Clodfobble 09-08-2018 10:22 PM

Other options to make it significant in its ongoing-ness: keep the band, replace the stone with one of a different color, reflecting this next stage of your life.

monster 09-08-2018 10:30 PM

thanks, I think I will replace it, but with another diamond. Just because it's weird not to have it, (I discovered the loss by a habitual repositioning of it and it felt weird) and I'm not good at decisions like that. One of my other thoughts was to find the tiny bit of Topaz beest gave me for our 23rd (and last) wedding anniversary and have that put in, but then I came to my senses. Probably not jewelry grade, what if they fucked it up....etc etc and it's not a very becoming color, either...

Clodfobble 09-08-2018 10:58 PM

You could have the kids decide what to put in, if it's just the deciding part that sucks. But another diamond is perfectly reasonable--it's the symbol, not the specific molecules.

monster 09-08-2018 11:07 PM

yup.

no to kids deciding, remember Angelina's Jolie's wedding dress? :eek:

sexobon 09-08-2018 11:11 PM

They might do OK and pick something like Beest's birthstone.

monster 09-08-2018 11:25 PM

:lol:

monster 09-08-2018 11:25 PM

Oh shit.... I should get a googly eye mounted in there.....

Clay 09-09-2018 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1014675)
can you use it at POS to buy a different card that actually works?

Yeah I was thinking about that, I'll give it a try if I need to. I bought a different prepaid debit card that works correctly using more cash. The Walmart card is now my pocket money. :)

DanaC 09-09-2018 04:32 AM

@ Mon:

Before I went into buildings claims, one of the most common types of claim I dealt with was lost stones from rings (and lost rings). Even if you'd taken the rings off before doing what you're doing, at some point there's a good chance the stone would just come out at some point. It's the nature of rings.

Just keep in mind, if you get a new stone put in: beest didn't go and buy you the stone, he bought you the ring. All you're doing is replacing a component part.

Not upsetting, so much as unsettling:

Jude flies out to Hanoi in a week's time to start his new job -- He's going to be over there for minimum 1 year, possibly 3-4 if he likes it and they like him.

Now sure, he'll be back in the uk for visits a couple of times a year but still - feels really weird knowing he won't be in the next town anymore.

I've downloaded skype so we can stay in touch, but it's an unsettling thought nonetheless.