The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trust Your Gut (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9379)

Happy Monkey 10-18-2005 10:28 AM

Trust Your Gut

From last night's Colbert Report (pronounced Col-bear Re-pour; It's French, bitch!):
Quote:

Anybody who knows me knows that I am no fan of dictionaries or reference books. They're elitist for constantly telling us what is or isn't true, what did or didn't happen... I don't trust books. They're all fact and no heart. And that's exactly what's pulling our country apart today. Because face it, folks, we are a divided nation... We are divided by those who think with their head, and those who know with their heart.

Consider Harriett Miers. If you think about Harriett Miers, of course her nomination's absurd! But the President didn't say he thought about this selection, he said this:

President Bush: "I know her heart."

Notice that he didn't say anything about her brain? He didn't have to. He feels the truth about Harriett Miers. And what about Iraq? If you think about it, maybe there are a few missing pieces to the rationale for war. But doesn't taking Saddam out feel like the right thing...right here in the gut? Because that's where the truth comes from, ladies and gentlemen...the gut.

Did you know that you have more nerve endings in your stomach than in your head? Look it up. Now, somebody's gonna say `I did look that up and its wrong'. Well, Mister, that's because you looked it up in a book. Next time, try looking it up in your gut. I did. And my gut tells me that's how our nervous system works.

Now I know some of you may not trust your gut...yet. But with my help you will. The "truthiness" is, anyone can read the news to you. I promise to feel the news...at you.

lumberjim 10-18-2005 10:31 AM

i smell shit

dar512 10-18-2005 11:33 AM

I had a retort all worked out. I really wanted to use this new smiley :bs:

Then I did a google on this thing and discovered it's a product of comedy central.

Happy Monkey 10-18-2005 12:13 PM

He's doing a parody of Bill O'Reilly/Chris Matthews/etc.

BigV 10-18-2005 12:24 PM

hahahehehe, it's sh*t, but it's good sh*t.

Pie 10-18-2005 03:49 PM

If I wasn't already married, I'd marry The Daily Show. I've got the Colbert Report (IFB) TiVod at home -- hopefully, it'll live up to expectations.

Clodfobble 10-18-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie
If I wasn't already married, I'd marry The Daily Show.

Oh hell yes. Stephen Colbert could knock on my door tomorrow and I would sleep with him right then, no questions asked. :joylove:

gonzo_4_life15 10-21-2005 12:01 PM

whats wrong with that i think its awsome, there cant be anything wrong with being yourself

Happy Monkey 10-21-2005 01:48 PM

Now that's comedy. Someone emulating Hunter S. Thompson identifying with someone parodying Bill O'Reilly.

Pie 10-21-2005 02:11 PM

Well, after watching three episodes of Colbert -- the verdict is mixed. Still pretty funny, but a little too ...forced. Maybe a little more time will mellow it out some.

Undertoad 10-21-2005 02:26 PM

"The w0rd" is O'Reilly to a fine, sharp edge... it's devastating.

Happy Monkey 10-21-2005 02:35 PM

Yeah, the w0rd is the best part of the show. Unfortunately, like in the Daily Show, the interviews are the weakest part - but for a different reason. It's a difficult path to try to interview someone while playing a character, which is more suited to an Ali-G-type show. When both parties are in on the joke, it becomes a bit forced and uncomfortable, with neither party quite certain how to react.

Pie 10-21-2005 04:01 PM

HM, you nailed it. I suppose some of the finer points of irony are lost on me, since I've never watched any of the windbags' shows. I only see clips of them on TDS!

gonzo_4_life15 10-21-2005 04:26 PM

Ya why not man be yourself till you become an uncivilized outkast, pirates used to throw free thinkers overboard for speaking there mind or at least thats what it says on family guy

Clodfobble 10-22-2005 12:24 AM

It seems to me that just over the shows this week, he's already started to give up the act a little bit during the interviews and just do them more like John Stewart--straight, but with the occasional one-liner thrown in.