The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bikes! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6570)

wolf 08-25-2005 10:34 AM

The little stars make the woman's seat so much cooler, don't you think?

lookout123 08-25-2005 10:34 AM

That will work, but this has proven to be more popular from what i hear.

Cyclefrance 08-25-2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
That will work, but this has proven to be more popular from what i hear.

Remind me never to offer to share my tandem with you....

lookout123 08-25-2005 11:02 AM

that isn't the right equipment for me, i prefer and inny, not an outty. that being said - i don't cycle anywhere but in the gym.

Cyclefrance 08-25-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
that isn't the right equipment for me, i prefer and inny, not an outty.

Well, that's a relief....!

Griff 08-29-2005 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melidasaur
I love my bike... what can i say.

Did you get out?

I took Merlin mountain biking yesterday afternoon when we got back from our local pro road race, the Chris Thater Memorial. My trails are in good shape except for the multiflora rose on the lower section. I'm gonna get down there with a weed wacker today.

melidasaur 08-29-2005 11:44 PM

[quote=Griff]Did you get out?[quote]

yes, I did and it was GREAT! I did about a 15 mile ride last Tuesday and about 10 or so on Friday and about 25 on Saturday. I actually got in big trouble on Saturday. I have a county map from the bike shop and I parked at a park and then took my ride from there... I was gone for 3 hours, didn't call home to let Mr. Saur know that I was okay. I wasn't riding the whole time - I actually found two farms that had horses - one had miniture horses and the other had big Belgians... so I stopped and fed the horses. My mom yelled at me too... said I shouldn't be cycling alone out in the country. I didn't see many cars, but I guess I see their point - you know - girl alone, out in the country with just a bike.

It was a good ride though. It's getting dark early again, so I may just have to use my lunch hours and Saturday/Sunday mornings for my rides. Dang.

wolf 08-30-2005 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melidasaur
My mom yelled at me too... said I shouldn't be cycling alone out in the country.

Tell your mom that you have a cellphone and have a friend that can advise you on the purchase of a small pistol ...

LabRat 08-30-2005 09:46 AM

Congratulations on your bike! After many years of wanting a road bike, I bought one too. (see the earlier posts about my new Giant) I haven't had as much time on it as I'd like. In fact, I bought a trainer so that I could get my butt used to it over the winter, and my road bike is still attached to it in the basement. I ride it occasionally when watching TV, but this summer, my new mountain bike has gotten all the action towing my kid in her Burley. (10 mi this past Sat, she fell asleep for 40 min during the ride) You should really check out RAGBRAI, it sounds like you're definately in shape for it, and relatively close enough to do it.

Griff 09-02-2005 09:28 AM

Bear!

I just flushed a bear out of the woods mtn biking! Thankfully he beat feet er paws directly away from me. Somehow Merlin missed the whole thing. Anyway cool way to start the day.

Fleur 09-28-2005 09:24 PM

Congrats to me!!! I survived a total hip replacement, last December (oh don't ask why) and got myself (with a little help from my spouse), a Trek Hybrid 7100, 2006 which is a great bike. It's a little treat for them that "enjoy" orthopaedic problems more than they should at any and especially, younger baby boomer, folks like me.

Griff 09-29-2005 05:37 AM

Congrats to you! :) Is there much discomfort when you ride?

Fleur 09-29-2005 11:15 AM

No discomfort, it's just that I have to start slow and my legs are rather weak from sitting around a lot (about 10 months) before I was prepared to have the surgery done....

I expect in a few months I will be "up to speed" as they say. Thanks.....my hip is great absolutely a total success, praise be!!!

Fleur 10-01-2005 02:20 PM

Not 12 years old anymore.

I am a lot more out of shape than I was at 12 or so....I gotta take it slowly, methinks, as I have been a sedentary sort for so long. Twenty minutes every other day will have to be sufficient for now.

Griff 10-01-2005 03:45 PM

That is exactly the right attitude. You have to build muscle tissue around your joints to protect them from injury. Once you do that you can choose the level of intensity you want.