The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pop, soda, cola, POLL (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14203)

LabRat 05-16-2007 11:46 AM

Pop, soda, cola, POLL

I just gave you a cup to go to a magic soda fountain that has 4 chioces, and you have to pick one. Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Coke, Diet Coke, and Other. The Other catagory is if your favorite pop (soda, cola, whatevah) is something else, like Sierra Mist, or Dr. Pepper, or Sunkist or something. Just think about what you want, and it will dispense it for you, with the perfect amount of ice.

I have cut my pop consumption down to a max of 48 oz a week, with my favorite choice being Pepsi, second ed closely by Dr. Pepper. Diet pop? :greenface I'd rather drink curdled camel's milk.

Happy Monkey 05-16-2007 11:55 AM

Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper.

Shawnee123 05-16-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 343948)
Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper.

Wow, that's a whole lot going on!

You get used to diet, and I prefer the bite of Diet Coke. But some days I just love a jolt of real sugar!

glatt 05-16-2007 12:05 PM

Where can you get real sugar?

I stopped drinking my can of Pepsi with lunch every day a couple years ago. Saves me $120 a year. Not to mention there's nothing good for you in soda. It's crap.

bbro 05-16-2007 12:06 PM

I can't drink any diet pops because they give me an asthma attack (I think because of the fake sugar). I do love me some regular Coke though. Preferably not in can or bottle, but in fountain form from a restaurant.

Happy Monkey 05-16-2007 12:20 PM

Apparently you can order Dr Pepper with real sugar. I've never gotten around to it, but I'd be curious.

jinx 05-16-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 343955)
Where can you get real sugar?

I stopped drinking my can of Pepsi with lunch every day a couple years ago. Saves me $120 a year. Not to mention there's nothing good for you in soda. It's crap.

Jone's soda is real sugar.

I drink soda maybe once or twice a year, usually becuase its the only beverage choice, and I don't care what kind it is - except Mt Dew. Fuck that.

Shawnee123 05-16-2007 12:30 PM

What are non-diet pops made of if not sugar? Fake sugar but not diet fake sugar? What's the advantage of manufacturing fake sugar that isn't diet fake sugar? I'm so confused!

Dagney 05-16-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 343966)
What are non-diet pops made of if not sugar? Fake sugar but not diet fake sugar? What's the advantage of manufacturing fake sugar that isn't diet fake sugar? I'm so confused!

Generally they're High Fructose Corn Syrup - not sugar. HFCS is evil stuff - and from what I've read, the only advantage is that once upon a time, HFCS was dirt cheap..although I've heard that some companies are changing back to cane sugar because Corn is getting expensive due to it being used in alternative fuels.

Give me some water with a slice of lemon any day.

Happy Monkey 05-16-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 343966)
What's the advantage of manufacturing fake sugar that isn't diet fake sugar? I'm so confused!

It has to do with some sort of import penalties for whatever country makes most of the sugar, IIRC (AIMN*), combined with corn subsidies, which makes the corn syrup cheaper.

*and I might not

Shawnee123 05-16-2007 12:46 PM

So will the ethanol thing make it more expensive to get HFCS now? That whole alternative fuel debate just keeps going deeper!

elSicomoro 05-16-2007 01:04 PM

The Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company still uses real sugar in their Dr Pepper. And I can tell you from personal experience that there is definitely a difference...the Dublin stuff is way better. You can order it directly from them or buy it in high-end grocery stores. Here, I can get it at Straub's. It costs more, but I think it's worth it.

I've also noticed at some of the Latino grocery stores here in St. Louis that you can find Mexican Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, etc. with sugar, at a higher price.

Pie 05-16-2007 01:21 PM

You can also get "kosher for passover" versions of coke, etc. that are made with real sugar.

xoxoxoBruce 05-16-2007 01:37 PM

Most of our sugar comes from beets, I believe, very little cane.

Spexxvet 05-16-2007 02:35 PM

Waste Watchers Rootbeer - it's sweetened with Splenda