The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

HungLikeJesus 01-31-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 791963)

So I went to Bob's instead. In Bob's, an older manager was calling out a young waitress in front of everyone.

Maybe she wasn't wearing enough flair.

infinite monkey 01-31-2012 03:38 PM

Joanna: You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: Well, I thought I remembered you saying that you wanted to express yourself.

Joanna: Yeah. You know what, yeah, I do. I do want to express myself, okay. And I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it.
[flips off Stan]

glatt 01-31-2012 03:40 PM

Just take a deep breath, let it out slowly and relax. Repeat after me: "Serenity now. Serenity now."

wolf 01-31-2012 06:28 PM

Tastykakes aren't Tasty anymore.

Unfortunately I learned this by purchasing the 4/$10 Family Paks.

Aliantha 01-31-2012 06:54 PM

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to pull into the local mall on the way back from Dad's place, so after about 2.5 hours on the road, we were looking for a park and finally found one, and just as I pulled over and indicated, someone coming the opposite way did the same.

So anyway, the person pulled out of the park, and I pulled in - and I really was there first anyway - but the other guy (20 something in a sporty number with racing stripes), sat there revving his engine as I was getting out of the car.

So anyway, I said to the boys which included Aden, Mav, Adam and Quinn who all play footy and look pretty imposing all together, to just get out of the car and stand about while I got Max out.

The guy hung around long enough to see Aden standing up and then moved on.

I must admit, I got a nasty sense of satisfaction as I watched him leave.

We got his number plate just in case we came back to find any damage on the car. lol

Griff 01-31-2012 07:05 PM

I'm in a left turn only lane waiting for a break in traffic, I don't see a helmetless teenaged dope with an overstuffed backpack on a bicycle riding illegally on the left side of the road behind me. He turns left across my lane as I make my turn. Instead of braking I should have run the fuck down just so he'd stop making us cyclists look obnoxious. jackass

wolf 01-31-2012 07:52 PM

I grew up in a "ride against traffic" jurisdiction. I never got used to bicycling in the same direction as cars.

HungLikeJesus 01-31-2012 08:05 PM

I didn't know that there were any areas where the rule was to ride against traffic, but I'd recently been thinking that it would make sense here in the mountains.

On curvy mountain roads with no shoulders it's sometimes very difficult for cars to pass bicycles going the same direction, particularly when they're going down hill at 20 mph or more. When the car does go to pass it can take a relatively long distance - often farther than sight distance. Whether you're driving the car or riding the bike, it's a dangerous situation. If the bikes were going against traffic the passing would happen very quickly and you wouldn't have a long line of cars backed up waiting to pass.

monster 02-01-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 792059)
If the bikes were going against traffic the passing would happen very quickly and you wouldn't have a long line of cars backed up waiting to pass.

Yebbut, what if they happened to meet at a point where passing wasn't possible/safe? Like a car on the other side?

HungLikeJesus 02-01-2012 08:24 AM

Well, it's still very quick.

BigV 02-01-2012 10:28 AM

I think the best solution is to apply the same logic to bikes that applies to cars in that situation. If a car is obstructing/delaying five or more vehicles, it should pull over, where safe, a shoulder, a slow lane, etc, and let the faster cars pass. It should not be too tough for a bike to yield to stacked up car traffic.

I know giving up that precious momentum is painful, but not as painful as getting run down and crashing by some impatient asshole driver.

HungLikeJesus 02-01-2012 10:44 AM

Quite often the only place to pull over is in the creek or off the edge of a cliff. Other times there's an almost endless line of cars, so you could pull over and never get going again.

BigV 02-01-2012 11:53 AM

Well, of course I wouldn't suggest you pull over into the creek or over the edge of a cliff. I suggested pulling over "where safe", yeah? As for an endless line of cars, well, if there's no place to pull over, I guess they're just gonna whip around you, one at a time, with a minimum of clearance, endangering your life each time, endlessly. Or, maybe I don't have the right mental image.

As a bike rider, what do you do in this situation?

HungLikeJesus 02-01-2012 11:59 AM

Cry.

Clodfobble 02-01-2012 12:00 PM

Ride somewhere else? I'm not saying it's the best situation from a socially conscious inclusion perspective, but sometimes you have to compromise because the world isn't going to.