The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting graphs and charts department (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24480)

Gravdigr 04-01-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 985648)
The coolest thing I've seen in a long time. More than a chart, more than a graph, more than a woman

https://earth.nullschool.net/about.html

Mesmerizing. Click on "earth" to open the menu.

Cancel this afternoon's appointments.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...53.793,-28.349

I think someone here put that up not too long ago, Glatt, maybe.

Very time consuming site.:yesnod:

gvidas 04-02-2017 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
re: the NYT graph about millennial men:

https://scatter.wordpress.com/2017/0...irmation-bias/

TL;DR: the NYT graph uses a really small sample size, doesn't include 2016 data.

Quote:

The GSS surveys are pretty small – about 2,000-3,000 per wave – so once you split by sample, and then split by age, and then exclude the older millennials (age 26-34) who don’t show any negative trend in gender equality, you’re left with cells of about 60-100 men ages 18-25 per wave. Standard errors on any given year are 6-8 percent.

Undertoad 04-02-2017 02:32 AM

WOW good work gvidas.

Garbage statistics in the NY fuckin' Times...

Griff 04-02-2017 08:38 AM

I guess that's how Dewey beats Truman.

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

exclude the older millennials (age 26-34) who don’t show any negative trend in gender equality,
But the graph does indicate that in the labeling? Are they talking about why, rather than what, it shows?

BigV 04-02-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985888)
But the graph does indicate that in the labeling? Are they talking about why, rather than what, it shows?

Well, the graph you posted did say "Young people, old views". It did not say millenials, where gvidas substituted that label. Both graphs clearly indicate which age groups are being illustrated. the NYT did not say that millenials are ages 18-25.

As for "why", the author of the original NYT article does offer an opinion, supporting it with other studies. Her main thrust is that uncertain economic times have made it necessary, but much more difficult given the dearth of family friendly work and social policies. She suggests that it's unsurprising that the participants in the survey would *want* an environment where one partner would be the "breadwinner" and the other partner would be the "homemaker".
From the NYT article:
Quote:

As a set of reports released Friday by the Council on Contemporary Families reveals, fewer of the youngest millennials, those aged 18 to 25, support egalitarian family arrangements than did the same age group 20 years earlier.
It might be the fucking New York Times, but they're a serious journalistic enterprise, even extending those standards to the Opinion pages, as evidenced by this:
Quote:

Update: After this article was posted, 2016 data from the General Social Survey became available, adding some nuance to this analysis. The latest numbers show a rebound in young men’s disagreement with the claim that male-breadwinner families are superior. The trend still confirms a rise in traditionalism among high school seniors and 18-to-25-year-olds, but the new data shows that this rise is no longer driven mainly by young men, as it was in the General Social Survey results from 1994 through 2014.
Despite the fact that the new evidence reduces the size of the statistical evidence the author points to in her essay, she includes it nonetheless. I find this a reassuring hallmark of honesty and integrity. She, like the New York Times overall, wants to get the story right, and wants to keep getting the story right. This in contrast to "Believe me."

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2017 07:51 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what the fuck are you talking about, the graph I posted had nothing to do with millennials or the NYT. :headshake

BigV 04-02-2017 11:21 PM

CORRECTION:

My mistake. The graph Undertoad posted. All else remains the same.

xoxoxoBruce 04-05-2017 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forget zombies, as the climate warms Dragons may reappear.

xoxoxoBruce 04-05-2017 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seat belt use, I think the numbers are about 87% for women and 81% for men.

Flint 04-06-2017 11:52 AM

Apparently I've only ever lived in counties where almost everyone wears their seat belts. Perspective. I thought everyone, everywhere wore seat belts.

eta:
I'm currently in the least seat belt-wearing place I've ever lived, and I like it better here.

Clodfobble 04-06-2017 11:53 AM

My father never has, ever. Just hates them for no reason he can explain. He used to tell us as kids that it was safe for him because he "had the steering wheel to hold onto."

Flint 04-06-2017 11:56 AM

My father doesn't like quinoa because he can't/won't pronounce it.

I've never told him that I have a childhood memory of my grandfather saying he doesn't like pizza because he can't pronounce it.

I wonder what "new" food I won't like...

glatt 04-06-2017 01:04 PM

I don't have a chart to show you, but picture two circle groups that line up almost perfectly with one another.

My wife was telling me a story yesterday about her day at work. She works as a school based substitute teacher, which means she floats around a lot during the day. When she has nothing to do, she offers to do chores.

Yesterday, she was sorting through the lost and found box. The items were piled high, just bursting out of the lost and found box. So she started by sorting items by those that were labeled with a name and those that were not.

Then she went to the school library, where she could look up the student name in the system and see what home room each kid had, and return the item.

The PCs in the library have been set up to make a loud alert sound whenever a student with a bunch of overdue books has their account accessed. That way, the librarian can ask about it before loaning out more books.

Can you guess where this is leading? Every single student who is the kind of student who leaves their hoodie in the mulch on the playground is the same kind of student who also has a lot of overdue library books. That machine was sounding loud alerts the entire time my wife was looking up the names on the lost and found items. And the librarian kept looking up with each chime.

Flint 04-06-2017 01:23 PM

I understand the reason for the system, but I'm not sure how I feel about the kids who presumably don't have their shit together (we might imagine, not good home environment?) being shamed in front of everyone?

Like, any situation in school which could make everyone in the room turn and look at you, I'm sensitive to that. That could easily be counter-productive. Like, it happens once and the kid never goes to a library again. Ends up with a lifelong phobia of reading.