The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are we listening to now? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6299)

elSicomoro 09-12-2004 11:46 AM

I really have to finally go out and buy this CD..."Monster for the Masses" by Afroskull...21st century funk...fucking awesome!

Holy shit...I didn't know that NovemberRain was on here! I also just discovered that Wonderwench is registered here too...God, that's scary.

NovemberRain 09-12-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore
I really have to finally go out and buy this CD..."Monster for the Masses" by Afroskull...21st century funk...fucking awesome!

Holy shit...I didn't know that NovemberRain was on here! I also just discovered that Wonderwench is registered here too...God, that's scary.

Yeah, we both registered months ago. I just came back the other day. I don't think WW has been back here since she registered.

elSicomoro 09-12-2004 11:53 AM

I noticed that...you guys registered here before I had heard of/joined LD.

NovemberRain 09-12-2004 11:55 AM

We registered here because a former LD member disappeared at around that time, and we heard that she had turned up here.

elSicomoro 09-12-2004 12:03 PM

If you're referring to Gwennie!, she disappeared from here too, shortly after she wrecked her car.

I'm surprised WW hasn't frequented Cellar more...the political views here tend to run closer to her own. Of course, maybe she just likes to fight. :)

NovemberRain 09-12-2004 12:06 PM

I didn't hear about Gwennie!'s car wreck. I hope she's okay.

I have no idea why WW hasn't been back here. She's not posting much on any of the other boards now either. I guess she's staying busy lately.

wolf 09-12-2004 01:17 PM

Wasn't that a DUI? Perhaps she's a guest of her state of residence for a time?

NovemberRain 09-13-2004 10:58 AM

Roger Waters - Who Needs Information

jinx 09-28-2004 10:19 AM

Dave Matthews with Warren Haynes - Cortez the Killer (live Neil Young cover)

Catwoman 09-28-2004 10:45 AM

Groove Armada - Dirty House Sessions
before that Mark Knopfler Shangri La
before that Dire Straits (thank fuck for Dire Straits)
and before that some African blues.

glatt 09-28-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
Groove Armada - Dirty House Sessions
before that Mark Knopfler Shangri La
before that Dire Straits (thank fuck for Dire Straits)
and before that some African blues.

I didn't know Mark Knopfler had a new CD. How is it?

I almost wish I didn't find out about the CD. I have a list of stuff I want to buy, but no spare money these days. Now I get to add this to the list.

Griff 09-28-2004 05:46 PM

New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble self titled pretty much what the name implies...good stuff!

bluesdave 09-29-2004 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble self titled pretty much what the name implies...good stuff!

Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame. :(

Catwoman 09-29-2004 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I didn't know Mark Knopfler had a new CD. How is it?

I almost wish I didn't find out about the CD. I have a list of stuff I want to buy, but no spare money these days. Now I get to add this to the list.

Only listened to it a few times, I don't know that it's as good as some of his other stuff, but maybe it will grow on me. By far his best album is Sailing to Philadelphia - if you haven't got it I thoroughly recommend it. I get most of my music from www.slsknet.org - brilliant fast downloading and free (and just slightly illegal)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesdave
Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame.

Yes! Miles Davis is a god and Kind of Blue is probably the best jazz album in existence. I like acid jazz and nu-jazz but there is no substitute for real jazz. Went to Stockholm last year, spent a night at the famous Stampen club which was amazing, a tiny dingy club packed with old couples and beautiful young Swedes, surrounded by snow and jazz and warm mulled wine, I loved it. What a fantastic trip that was. If you can get hold of it I strongly recommend an album called The Hot Spot by Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker - it's only 30 minutes long but absolutely brilliant - true jazz at its finest.

edited for: duff link

glatt 09-29-2004 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
Only listened to it a few times, I don't know that it's as good as some of his other stuff, but maybe it will grow on me. By far his best album is Sailing to Philadelphia - if you haven't got it I thoroughly recommend it.

Sailing to Philadelphia is outstanding!