The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   4/3/2004: Stomach full o' coin (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5463)

Undertoad 04-03-2004 02:15 PM

4/3/2004: Stomach full o' coin

http://cellar.org/2004/stomachcoins.jpg

A frenchman walks into the ER at Cholet General Hospital in western France. He complains of stomach pain and couldn't eat or shit. And this is what they found: a stomach containing a 12 pound mass of 350 coins, assorted necklaces, and needles.

lumberjim 04-03-2004 02:34 PM

were the coins worth enough to pay for their removal?

Nothing But Net 04-03-2004 02:34 PM

But at least it was a <i>low-carb</i> diet. :rolleyes:

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim
were the coins worth enough to pay for their removal?
He didn't have to pay, he died.

lumberjim 04-03-2004 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
He didn't have to pay, he died.
for real?

i would normally assume you were kidding, but there's no smiley in your post.

Troubleshooter 04-03-2004 04:04 PM

You need to send that one on the the Darwin Awards.

Clodfobble 04-03-2004 04:56 PM

The guy suffered from pica, a mental disorder that causes one to have strong urges to eat things not normally eaten. Severe cases tend to eat a lot of the same thing; in this guy's case it was small pieces of metal.

Mild (non-compulsive) pica is often reported in pregnant women. I knew a pregnant woman once who told me she really, REALLY wanted to go drink some Pine-Sol from the kitchen and she couldn't figure out for the life of her why.

Troubleshooter 04-03-2004 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Clodfobble
The guy suffered from pica, a mental disorder that causes one to have strong urges to eat things not normally eaten. Severe cases tend to eat a lot of the same thing; in this guy's case it was small pieces of metal.

Mild (non-compulsive) pica is often reported in pregnant women. I knew a pregnant woman once who told me she really, REALLY wanted to go drink some Pine-Sol from the kitchen and she couldn't figure out for the life of her why.

Ok, I want either a DSM-IV referrence or a legitimate web link for that one.

I'm not calling bullshit, but damn, it must be pretty obscure. I never ran across it at the hospital.

ladysycamore 04-03-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Clodfobble

My goodness!! I mean, I've heard of cravings, but yikes at that one! :eek:

Yet another reason to not get preggers, IMO. ;)

Pica: Dirt Eating or "Geophagy"

Interesting: they say it's not an "eating disorder". IMO, eating things that you cannot digest (or aren't supposed to eat), sounds a bit disorderly to me. :confused:

Troubleshooter 04-03-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ladysycamore

Interesting: they say it's not an "eating disorder". IMO, eating things that you cannot digest (or aren't supposed to eat), sounds a bit disorderly to me. :confused:

[cartman]Personality disorders piss me off.[/cartman]

It's yet another, in a long and growing list of, personality disorders. They know better yet do it anyway, and exhibit no measurable signs of any form of organic brain pathology.

So what is the colloquialism for these guys? Eaters?

Mav 04-03-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ladysycamore

Yet another reason to not get preggers, IMO. ;)

I'm sorry but this is my hugest internet pet peeve in the world...

Don't use the phrase "preggers" or "preggo" when refering to a pregnant woman

You don't know how annoying it is, it sounds like 14 year old girls gossiping on AIM "like OMG did you hear kelly is so pregger" It's like nails on a chalk board to me :( I just cant stand it its so....ugh...

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim

for real?

i would normally assume you were kidding, but there's no smiley in your post.

Yeah, by the time he went to the hospital, all the organs under his stomach had crushed for some time. Everything had shut down and was infected to the max.

SteveDallas 04-03-2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mav
It's like nails on a chalk board to me :( I just cant stand it its so....ugh...
OK, like, whatEVER.

CoryWire 04-03-2004 08:01 PM

I came across this disorder at Willard Mental Institution, where I interned for a (thankfully) short while. This guy somehow ate a pair of jeans! Not sure if he cut them up or what. I also found pica mentioned in DSM III:

"The essential feature is the persistent eating of a nonnutritive substance. Infants with the disorder typically eat paint, plaster, string, hair, or cloth. Older children may eat animal droppings, sand, bugs, leaves, or pebbles. Pica usually remits in early childhood, but may persist into adolescence or, rarely, continue through adulthood."

It is a pretty rare disorder.

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2004 09:10 PM

Hey, welcome to the Cellar Cory, it's always good to have another nut wrangler around. :)
I must, however correct you. "nonnutritive substance" = "bugs", is definitely not true. I'll let the animal droppings slide though.:haha: