The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I joined the Gym yesterday (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26879)

monster 02-14-2012 10:27 PM

I joined the Gym yesterday

It's kinda pricey but in the last few weeks I packed on a few pounds for NO DAMN REASON. I guess I hit that age.

I've been eating better since saturday too. Like much better/not at all. I expect to be stick-thin by Friday.

yesterday I did a 30 mins Abs class then swam hard for 30 mins, but I didn't enjoy the swim very much because Swimmer Girl gave me the sniffles. then I enjoyed the Spa Whirlpool.

Today I did 1 hour Zumba then enjoyed the Spa Whirlpool. It's my reward. the "sniffles" hit the cough point this morning, and I'm asthmatic, so i really didn't feel like going at all, but i did and i had no problems, so i am happy.

I'm very fit, but I weigh too much, I have no abs and no core strength. i really want to remedy these. I always have wanted to, but now (a) it seems my plateau days are over and (b) my figure skating has reached a level where these things actually matter.

So i took steps. yay me.

Originally, I had thought I would let myself not go on Weds and thurs because I have full days already, but I'mm'a try to fit in an early swim tomorrow if the "sniffles" allow (and spa whirlpool, of course) before skating

BigV 02-14-2012 10:30 PM

why, was it coming apart?

monster 02-14-2012 10:32 PM

yes.

BigV 02-14-2012 10:47 PM

glue job, you.

monster 02-14-2012 10:53 PM

I used chewing gum

BigV 02-14-2012 10:59 PM

trying to gum up the works, eh? just don't blow it.

monster 02-15-2012 06:53 AM

OK so the swim plan failed this morning. i have a crazy mom day and did not manage to get all the shit together in time to go swim on my way to skating.

limey 02-15-2012 08:20 AM

Good luck with fitting it all in!

monster 02-15-2012 08:24 AM

and then i found a tax return due.......

thanks, limey. i hope my pounds melt off like yours...... oh gawd skating is in 35 minutes, suspect i'mm'a be late as usual -still go tot get together three lots of swim gear, two lots of hockey gear, sk8ing stuff, swim coach stuff and swim meet marshall stuff. and food and drink and walking shoes.

monster 02-15-2012 08:49 AM

and I need to shower

Lola Bunny 02-15-2012 10:29 AM

Yay...and good luck, Monster. Sometimes when things plateau, we need to do something different to shake out bodies out of its comfort zone and being lazy.

limey 02-15-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 795392)

thanks, limey. i hope my pounds melt off like yours...... .

I don't think you're starting where I started (Total, 100% committed couch-potato), but I hope this for you too!

monster 02-15-2012 01:30 PM

No, maybe not. I noticed I'm a lot fitter/more energetic than those in the Zumba class. And I'm about average age for the class.

Lola Bunny 02-16-2012 08:44 AM

then join a higher level class. Participate in a class that's at your fitness level. Age doens't mean anything. ;)

monster 02-16-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 795725)
then join a higher level class. Participate in a class that's at your fitness level. Age doens't mean anything. ;)

Zumba is an all-fitness level thing. It's mainly cardio, so you just do it at a level that gets your heart going at the right rate. It wasn't a complaint, it was an agreement with limey that I am starting at a different point than she did.

And age means lots. I'm sick of taking classes with old fat folk who can barely move and smell bad. Even Roseanne would look energetic in those classes. It was a plus point. I guess you interpreted my point the other way. Or maybe you just like to patronize?

monster 02-17-2012 11:04 AM

Woke up with the snuffles today, dragged my ass to the gym for a circuits workout, decided to try a few laps in the pool before I treated myself in the whirlpool Spa...... and swam a WHOLE GODDAM MILE!!! I feel awesome. but still snuffly.

glatt 02-17-2012 11:11 AM

Wow. I know you're a good swimmer, but I can't wrap my head around me swimming a mile. That's so far.

limey 02-17-2012 11:46 AM

I swam a mile today, too :)
(I bet it took me longer than it took Monster, but I don't care. I did it.)

Stormieweather 02-17-2012 11:53 AM

The thing I've discovered about Zumba is that you get out of it what you put into it. If you make big movements, shake your hips, use your arms a lot, and lift your legs high instead of shuffle around , you get a higher burn rate than someone who just "goes through the minimum motions". As I learn the routine, I get more out of it since I'm not missing half the steps or standing for a few seconds to figure out the move they're doing, I can just do the dance and concentrate on more overall movement.

Our teacher is a tiny little thing that shakes her butt the whole time like she's doing a fast belly dance routine. :eek:

monster 02-17-2012 12:19 PM

Right, and that's the thing -I wasn't right up there with the master wigglers, but I was able to hop rather than walk each step for the full 60 minutes and not be out of breath. sweating, hell yes....

I'm already a little bored with it though.... may try a different class in the hope of different routines.....

monster 02-17-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 796121)
Wow. I know you're a good swimmer, but I can't wrap my head around me swimming a mile. That's so far.

That's what I try to swim almost every day in the summer, so it's not like I just hopped in and hey, whaddayaknow, but I was feeling snotty this morning and that's not usually a good sign for a good swim. So I surprised myself. It took me a little longer than usual -50 minutes instead of 45, and it was half breaststroke, half freestyle.

Back to sneezing and sniffling now, though -it was no miracle cure....

monster 02-17-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 796129)

yay you! you only did your first mile a few weeks ago, didn't you?

Lola Bunny 02-17-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 795903)
I guess you interpreted my point the other way. Or maybe you just like to patronize?

I probably misunderstood you somehow. I went back to read but I'm too darn tired right now to really see things clearly. I wasn't purposely trying to be patronizing. I often upset people without realizing how my tone of voice or words could be offensive. So that I could avoid it in the future, I would be grateful if you could tell me how's that I was being patronizing.

monster 02-17-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 796148)
I probably misunderstood you somehow. I went back to read but I'm too darn tired right now to really see things clearly. I wasn't purposely trying to be patronizing. I often upset people without realizing how my tone of voice or words could be offensive. So that I could avoid it in the future, I would be grateful if you could tell me how's that I was being patronizing.

I wasn't complaining, yet you tried to "fix my problem". And also offered advice on something you're clearly not overly familiar with. And the age comment.... well let's assume you misunderstood my post. tell me what you meant by this? There are very few occasions when comments about age not meaning anything are not patronizing.

SamIam 02-17-2012 09:50 PM

I joined our local rec center, too. I want to get my stamina back, so I can go on long hikes the way I used to. I'd also love to be in good enough shape, so that I could start cross country skiing again next winter. Also want more upper body strength. And last, but not least, I'd like to lose weight!

I started out slowly - a half hour walking at 3 mph on one of those machines. I was tired for two days after that, I'm so out of shape. But I persevered and today on my 8th visit, I walked 3.4 mph on a slight incline for 45 minutes with no problem. May not seem much to the rest of you, but for me its huge - I can't tell you the last time I was fit and exercised regularly, but its been a while. I plan to branch out to the other machines as my stamina returns and add some swimming once I can fit back in my swimsuit.

I'm really glad I kicked my butt off the computer and the sofa to get started on this. I am already feeling better and have lost a couple of pounds!

Good luck to everyone with your exercise programs!

monster 02-17-2012 10:02 PM

That is huge, Sam. It is amazing how fast you improve when you get into something regularly. Do you do anything else there? Any other machines? what facilities do they have? I get bored so easliy during exercise, that's why i chose this place -classes are free and drop in so i can chop and change, and there are various levels offered when one size doesn't fit all. i used to go with a friend to the Rec center and we'd do 30 minutes on the eliptical, 30 minutes row, 30 minutes circuit and then 30 playing badminton. that was great -we gossipped the whole time and i got so fit so fast ...but then she got a full time job.

Lola Bunny 02-17-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 796209)
I wasn't complaining, yet you tried to "fix my problem". And also offered advice on something you're clearly not overly familiar with. And the age comment.... well let's assume you misunderstood my post. tell me what you meant by this? There are very few occasions when comments about age not meaning anything are not patronizing.

I misread that you plateaued but apparently I am wrong. As for the age comment, you mentioned you participated in a class with others the same age. You are fit, so there is no need to join classes with people the same age. But as you pointed out, I am making comments on something I know nothing of. I have never joined a gym, so I don't understand the classes they offer there. I had no right making comments. If I did not say it, I apologize for offending you. It was not my intention. Perhaps I perceive age differently because I am not married and have no children. To me, age doesn't mean too much but a number. Of course, there are changes in our bodies with the years, but how strong and healthy it is depends on how we take care of it. Of course, that's just my viewpoint, and I shouldn't have imposed it on others. Again, I am sorry.

limey 02-18-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 796129)

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 796143)
yay you! you only did your first mile a few weeks ago, didn't you?

Yes, a couple of months ago I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 796142)
... It took me a little longer than usual -50 minutes instead of 45, and it was half breaststroke, half freestyle ...

It's interesting to see how long it takes you as the only other person I've been measuring myself against is Pool Boy™ who is a 20-something year-old competing open water swimmer who takes six strokes to get from one end of the pool to the other where I take 18 :eek:.
It takes me about 1 hour 5 minutes to swim a mile, so I think I can be quite proud of that (being 52 years old, of which I spent 51 years as a couch potato :o).

monster 02-18-2012 07:45 AM

Lola it's done. It was only patronizing if none of the other applied, and they clearly did. Don't beat yourself up. :)

Limey, that is really fast. That's about where I started too, back when it was mostly breaststroke.

monster 02-18-2012 08:06 AM

OK, so last Saturday morning I got on the scales and was horrified by how many pounds had piled on in the past few weeks taking me up to my heaviest ever, even though I was exercizing and eating the same..... So I actually put myself on a diet (unthinkable). Mostly just reducing portions, snacking on fruit if at all, healthier lunches... and I joined the gym -which had already been the plan.

I am happy to report 7 or 8 of those pounds are gone this Saturday morning. Now back to where I was after Christmas and pretty much since summer. But the jeans are still tight when they weren't before, so the excess has obviously decided to change where it sits and I need to improve ab and core strength (and have for a long while) so the aggressive approach will continue...... aging sucks, it's not fair when nature moves the goal posts! I've been plodding on reasonably happily for years around the same weight....... I guess I can expect the bifocals fairy any day now.... :lol:

SamIam 02-18-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 796212)
That is huge, Sam. It is amazing how fast you improve when you get into something regularly. Do you do anything else there? Any other machines? what facilities do they have? I get bored so easliy during exercise, that's why i chose this place -classes are free and drop in so i can chop and change, and there are various levels offered when one size doesn't fit all. i used to go with a friend to the Rec center and we'd do 30 minutes on the eliptical, 30 minutes row, 30 minutes circuit and then 30 playing badminton. that was great -we gossipped the whole time and i got so fit so fast ...but then she got a full time job.

Thanks, Monster! I plan to branch out to the other machines once I reach the 4mph mark on the machine I'm now using.

The rec center here is very nice - I'm amazed such a small town as the one I live in came up with all the money for it. I'd guess that there were around 10 different kinds of machines - don't know what they're called yet. Back in the day, I always joined the local Y where ever I was and swam 4 or 5 times a week. Never did the machines, since I was doing hiking and cross country with my then husband.

They also offer lots of classes - everything from yoga to aerobics to Zumba to Silver Sneakers (for people much older than me :D). The pool is wonderful. And best of all, its only $20.00/month!

Oh, and the other thing about the rec center is that a lot of silver foxes hang out there. I watch them working out while I walk along on my little machine. Nice! ;)

footfootfoot 02-18-2012 09:02 AM

I quit the gym and with the 30 bucks a month I save I can buy more beer. It's a win-win.

ZenGum 02-18-2012 06:45 PM

Gime? What's a Gime?

footfootfoot 02-18-2012 07:26 PM

gimme, you mised an m

bbro 02-23-2012 08:22 PM

There seems to be a trend going on here, I too joined a gym just this week. I have been going in the mornings. I can only do about 45 minutes on the treadmill right now. I tried these machines that looked like backwards elliptical, I should have known better - I could only do about 6 minutes, total. Then, I tucked my tail in and went back to the treadmill. Tomorrow, I am going to give my bad joints a rest and use the recumbent bike with the senior crowd.

Not too worried about not being able to hang with everyone, I am really not in shape. It's not the first time I have exercised for multiple days, but the first time that I can see myself doing it for long term. Even before, I never truly believed that I would keep it up. Since I am doing it in the morning, it isn't delaying my life at all - making me more tired in the evenings, maybe, but that's about it. And since I am trying to stay in at the same time, I think it all works out well :)

Hope you don't mind me joining the thread Monster! :D

limey 02-24-2012 12:45 PM

There is a swimming pool the size of the Atlantic Ocean just across from our hotel room here in Edinburgh. What a shame I forgot my cozzie; 'cept I think I might drown before I completed a whole length!

monster 02-24-2012 12:57 PM

This week I have taken 4 classes, swum three times (20 lengths twice and a mile (72) today) and used the rowing machine once. Treadmills -they scare me. besides, I can walk/run anywhere if the feeling takes me. My swim was good today, I think i improved both my strokes a little and took 45-50 minutes. I'm not exactly melting away, though, and the diet thing is hard and I am depressed that one of the "health nuggets of the week" at the gym is that weightloss is only 20% "move more" and is 80% "eat less" :( ah well...... at least I didn't have to worry that beest broke our shower this morning.... (I think that was the primary factor in helping me get out the door today...... ;)

monster 02-24-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 797540)
There is a swimming pool the size of the Atlantic Ocean just across from our hotel room here in Edinburgh. What a shame I forgot my cozzie; 'cept I think I might drown before I completed a whole length!

Is it a 50m pool (long-course)? I swam in one in the summer and boy, those last ten meters are mean the first few lengths....

limey 02-24-2012 01:13 PM

I have no idea - but my usual pool is 20m :D

monster 02-24-2012 01:15 PM

mine is 25y and my summer pool is 20y :lol: (88 lengths in a mile there)

monster 02-28-2012 08:23 PM

So I got my fitness assessment and weight training orientation today. Assessment was as I thought -fit, fat and flexible. With no abs or core strength. They did two body fat tests and they came back with vastly different results. The trainer said the lower one was considered more reliable, but that one put me in the average range which is kinda hard to believe unless we really are including all of the walmart shoppers.....

So the trainer creating my workout plan concentated on machines for abs and core strength for me. I told the assessor I couldn't do a push up, but I actually managed a few -although I thought the execution was too appaling to count on most of them.

But I don't understand how anyone who is employed can exercise as much as they ought to. I've pretty much given up the Cellar and a few other online activities in my quest for unblobness. And my housework and paperwork for volunteer activities are at a danger level of inattention.

bbro 03-02-2012 08:39 AM

So I just have to share something that made me happy today. The machine that I talked about in my first post that I could only do 5 minutes on? I did SIX minutes today :D

Not much, but still a sign of improvement. I could have tried for more time, but my heart rate was already approaching 180.

Woohoo! I am on my way to 10 minutes - lol

limey 03-02-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 798926)
So I just have to share something that made me happy today. The machine that I talked about in my first post that I could only do 5 minutes on? I did SIX minutes today :D

Not much, but still a sign of improvement. I could have tried for more time, but my heart rate was already approaching 180.

WayTaGo!!! Isn't it great to see some improvement?!?

monster 03-02-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 798926)

When I first started running, I could only do a few minutes at a time. I built it up slowly, minute by minute over one summer.... and I never lost it. Even though I don't run very often, when I do I can run for 30 minutes without a break. You'll be at 10 minutes before you know it.

bbro 03-02-2012 05:28 PM

Thanks guys :)

monster 03-12-2012 08:41 PM

Been tough to find time these last couple of weeks (and the next couple) But I am still managing at least one Zumba class, one mile swim on one weight training session and one other thing a week. Last week I did weight training and a little cardio on Mon, Zumba on Tues and Swam a mile on Thurs. Today (Mon) I did weight training and Zumba. Tomorrow will be a dead loss, Weds also, Thursday I hope to swim and/or do zumba before we have the middle school swim meet at 1 and then Hebe and I head out to State Championships. I think the nervous energy i might expend there should count for something.... It really is lack of time rather than lack of willing, though. The expense is working to make me go...... (that and the promise of the amazing Spa tub afterwards)

limey 03-13-2012 03:44 AM

I was just wondering how you were getting on as I practiced my tumble-turns yesterday ... I've decided I should try to swim along the bottom for a bit before coming to the surface, instead of bobbing up immediately like a cork!

monster 03-13-2012 10:58 AM

good. assuming the pool isn't 12 feet deep.....

I could give advice .....even though I can't do them! My school swim team have some lovely turns I've taught them without getting in the water to demonstrate! :lol:

limey 03-13-2012 12:37 PM

Pool is four feet deep all over. All advice gratefully received as I do feel rather inelegant, and I think they're fun!

limey 03-19-2012 11:20 AM

Missed a week at the pool (bah! wurk!!). Had a go at following some advice received with not very elegant results, yet.
I get pretty disorientated if I can't see either the ceiling or the bottom of the pool.
I hit my head on the bottom of the pool (only once, and gently).
There have been a few inelegant flaps of legs above the water, too.
How come I get water up my nose even if I'm breathing out gently all the time?
But it's fun!

monster 03-19-2012 06:56 PM

me tooooo! it was horrible. back today after 7 days no workout. i did a thirty minutes abs class and swam half a mile then did some heavy gardening for an hour.

legs should come out on a flip turn, that is fine. stuck together or at least close and symmetrical is preferred. Why can't you see the bottom of the pool? I get disoriented too and water up my nose. That's why I don't do them. If there are lines on the bottom of your pool, the pull stroke should be the one after the T of the line is directly below your face.

limey 03-20-2012 01:41 PM

OMG, you mean my shapely 51 1/2 year-old pins should protrude above the water ... hmmmm ...
There are no lines on the bottom of the pool.
When I have rotated 180 degrees and am face up, under water, doing the dolphin wiggle with my arms streamlined in front of me (hah, fat chance of me getting all of that in, before I have to turn over ...) I cannot see the bottom of the pool (nor the ceiling, just the surface of the water).
Back at the pool today (2nd day in a row) - swam 3/4 mile, no turns.

monster 03-20-2012 03:26 PM

watch the video again. I mean, they don't have too, but in most cases they will. Then submerge again for the push

limey 03-20-2012 03:36 PM

Pool Boy's don't. But I don't mind (I've got good legs:) )

monster 03-20-2012 09:33 PM

Just search flip turn on youtube. I didn't find one without legs out at the top of the flip. In the swiming I watch, if the legs don't come out, the kid has gone too deep and is going to lose time on the turn. but it happens and they still get round. but all the olympic swimmers have a leg pop moment, so you're in good company ;)

My coaching task for tomorrow: teaching my new flippers how to remember not to flip on the breaststroke :rolleyes: :lol:

SamIam 03-21-2012 01:31 AM

Still not ready for the pool. :blush: But I have been making progress on my aerobics training. The first day I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and wished for death for two days afterwards. But now I am up to 50 minutes at 3.6 mph for 3 miles per session and I have been gradually raising my pace every two or three sessions. I don't think I could do it without my music. I have discovered that a lot of 80's tunes help me set a good pace and keep going through the agony. "Sweet Dreams are Made of These", "Eye of the Tiger", "She Drives me Crazy", and just about every song Pat Benatar ever did. Also more contemporary stuff like Cross Canadian Ragweed - "Anywhere but Here" and the Green Cards - "Make it out West." If anyone has suggestions for good workout music, please post what keeps you going. I'm always on the lookout for more music.

People probably think I'm nuts. I lip sync my tunes and toss my hair around and generally come as close to dancing as you can on a treadmill. But if I pretend I'm out on the dance floor, it makes the process a lot more fun.

Oh, and today I got up the courage to approach a sexy silver fox! I was watching him work out on the weight machine and he was lifting the entire set of weights with seeming ease. He had a great bod, needless to say, and he was about my age. Instant lust on my part. So, after we had both finished our workouts, I went up to him and asked him if he could give me any advise on which of the machines would be best for me to start working on improving my upper body strength. I had obviously picked one of his fav subjects and he showed me four or five machines and explained how to use them and which sets of muscles could be improved by each. Very nice man with no wedding ring, although that doesn't mean much these days.

I am excited to get out on the road again and be in the condition to take longish hikes in Island in the Sky National Park - my next expedition into the wilds. The off roading there can get get interesting, so I want to be able to dig the Toyota out should I need to or lever rocks off the trail, etc. I like to be as self sufficient as possible, and I feel encouraged that I have kept my conditioning program up and I can definitely see an improvement.

Yay for all us Cellar ladies !

limey 03-21-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 802650)
Just search flip turn on youtube. I didn't find one without legs out at the top of the flip. In the swiming I watch, if the legs don't come out, the kid has gone too deep and is going to lose time on the turn. but it happens and they still get round. but all the olympic swimmers have a leg pop moment, so you're in good company ;)

OK (UT - where's that can-can smiley when you need it?!?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 802650)
My coaching task for tomorrow: teaching my new flippers how to remember not to flip on the breaststroke :rolleyes: :lol:

Uh-oh. It's on the breaststroke that I'm planning to flip-turn :3_eyes:. In fact I'm wondering how to put it between two backstroke lengths ... :eek:

monster 03-21-2012 06:55 AM

Hey you can flip if you want to -they'll get DQd. Back to breast is a bucket turn once you get past touch and go. then, when you get even faster, you go back to touch and go only "special" :rolleyes: (Hector buckets, Hebe doesn't any more)

(I'd turn the sound off: )

:D :D :D

WTG SamIam. You could always invite the silver fox to join you on your trip..... ;)

infinite monkey 03-21-2012 07:25 AM

So that's where Sam has been: getting all in-shapey and stuff. ;)

You ladies are my inspiration. Now all I have to do is turn inspiration into action!

monster 03-21-2012 08:13 AM

We could go swimming Saturday afternoon...... or walking..... or drinking......