The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   9/1/2005: NO from satellite before/after (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9062)

Undertoad 09-01-2005 09:18 AM

9/1/2005: NO from satellite before/after

http://cellar.org/2005/nobefore.jpg

http://cellar.org/2005/noafter.jpg

The images above are too large for IotD, and too wide.

I have avoided any disaster shots because none of them told
any more story than we've seen otherwise, until now.
The USGS landsat project offers up
these wild shots of the changes between August 24 and August 30.

via Boing Boing

Hobbs 09-01-2005 10:07 AM

Doesn't look that bad from up here. I don't know what everyone is so upset about.

Actually, in all seriousness, it is a major tragedy. I can't bear to see anymore pics, video, or hear the stories coming out of the South. I got really sad when I found out that one of the best resturants, Pascal's - famous for their bar-ba-que shrimp, is probably submerged as we speak. All I am seeing is pictures from Canal street, anyone know how the French Quarter faired?

LabRat 09-01-2005 10:30 AM

These are the type of shots I like best, for showing the scope of differance. I see lots of areas that were green, but now are blue. Thanks for the pics. Scary.

Ero 09-01-2005 11:18 AM

It is an interesting shot indeed. The differences seem subtle at first but if you take some time looking at the picture you see loads of flooded areas. note the part in the upper left of the photographs, it is completely gone in the second photo. I'm from the Netherlands so the whole disaster is pretty far away from me but I see it on the news all day and it IS indeed a terrible disaster. I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone.

I'm new here by the way; read loads of posts on the forum and became particularly interested in joining when I saw that the topics discussed here weren't the usual rubbish. So anyways, hello to everyone here.

plthijinx 09-01-2005 12:29 PM

welcome Ero!

BigV 09-01-2005 01:11 PM

Regarding the second picture:
Quote:

This closeup of New Orleans shows the areas of the city that were flooded after levies broke. These areas are shown as darker green. It has been estimated that 80% of New Orleans is underwater with some areas more than 20 feet under. At the time this image was taken, the water was still rising.
Emphasis mine.

Too sad for words now.

Undertoad 09-01-2005 04:12 PM

plthijnx offers up this before/after:
http://cellar.org/2005/beforeafter.jpg

The Associated Press has this clickable-zoomable version which is probably the best of all such items.

capnhowdy 09-01-2005 05:25 PM

I am at a loss of words in reference to my feelings for these poor folks.
Someone said today: "build a city in a big hole and this is what you get".
Disaster doesn't cull anyone. I could be next. A hurricane spawned tornado killed a few folks 20 something miles from here. Mother Nature is cool, but can cop a bad ass attitude at times. I respect that.

xoxoxoBruce 09-01-2005 06:35 PM

Look and learn, boys and girls. When the shit hits the fan, you have to be self sufficient for a month before you can get help from the ponderous agencies that the government commands.
Most people are not prepared for a 24 hour power outage, let alone a tragedy of this magnitude.

Right from the git-go, they were saying things like it would take several days or a week to get the city services (sewer, water, pumps) back to normal. What were these people thinking? Haven't any of them seen the aftermath of a flood?

After you get rid of the water you have to deal with the mud, trash, furniture, rugs, etc. That's assuming the building is structually sound.
Then about a million gallons of bleach because everything's been soaked with sewage and oil. You can't live there while you're doing this either.

Scale this up to an entire city....a week.....try months. But first you have to move the people somewhere else. People that have lost all there possessions and their jobs for the most part. They'll need a hell of a lot more than sandwiches and bottled water......and quickly. :(

lookout123 09-01-2005 08:55 PM

Quote:

I got really sad when I found out that one of the best resturants, Pascal's - famous for their bar-ba-que shrimp, is probably submerged as we speak.
i got really sad today when i read that Fats Domino is probably submerged. He and his family chose to ride the storm out in their own home and nobody has heard from them since.

cbane 09-01-2005 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbs
All I am seeing is pictures from Canal street, anyone know how the French Quarter faired?

I heard on the news the other day that the French Quarter was in better shape than most of the city, because it was the original part of the city, as is thus on higher ground. Google turned up this, which confirms it.

Also, while looking for confirmation, I found that Fats Domino survived.

Happy Monkey 09-01-2005 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
i got really sad today when i read that Fats Domino is probably submerged. He and his family chose to ride the storm out in their own home and nobody has heard from them since.

Good news. He's OK!

Ero 09-02-2005 09:17 AM

For what it know; it seems like a REALLY BIG mess in NO... I've never saw an American person with a high function becoming so emotional and say f*ck as much an interview as I saw the New Orleans mayor say today. It certainly shows the mess of the situation.
By the way; i heard that anarchy has affected the area... I saw people plundering, I heard about gangs of rapists ravaging about the place, people shooting at rescue helicopters and even cops who have been looting stores... It is a big mess...

I live miles & miles away but it even makes me emotional... My sympathy is with all of you Americans.

BigV 09-02-2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ero
----cut--. It is a big mess...

I live miles & miles away but it even makes me emotional... My sympathy is with all of you Americans.

Yes, yes, it is. It really really is. Thank you for your sympathy.

Vegeta 09-02-2005 12:01 PM

Yes, NOLA Mayor Nagin's interview was heartbreaking but very impressive. I have a ton of respect for that guy after that--his righteous anger and lack of sugarcoating.

And thank you to Happy Monkey and cbane for posting the Fats Domino rescue article links. This has been an awful day for me, and not just because of New Orleans (which would be enough), so it helped immensely to have some fucking good news at last.