The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   More Wacky Japanese Stuff (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15709)

bluecuracao 11-26-2007 02:52 PM

Make sure you take em after the robot's visited, okay? ;)

Sundae 11-26-2007 03:01 PM

You realise this is how Slang started don't you? (not specifically toilets) You'll have your own photo thread before you know it...

Cloud 11-26-2007 03:13 PM

squatting for elimination is much healthier than sitting. I imagine that a squatting toilet should be as sanitary, too, given that you don't actually sit on it.

But I suppose there'd be splashage. :(

Sundae 11-26-2007 03:33 PM

Previous thread re squatting toilets (inc my personal experience in Siena)
Cellar thread, NFW as far as content goes.

slang 11-28-2007 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 410229)
Yes, I am going to go and take photos in public toilets.

Yay! :)

Congrats man. You're now a crazy MFer like me. :lol:

Tip from Slang: don't use the flash. It makes people nervous.

Happy Monkey 11-29-2007 09:04 AM

ZenGum 11-29-2007 10:07 AM

Wow, surreal.

I might try that in my next English class. Lots of chorusing, rhythmic chanting, even singing, great teaching techniques.

To cap it all, did you notice the writing on their halter tops (ok, on their boobs) was in German?

And no, I'm not planning to go flashing in public toilets.

ZenGum 12-02-2007 06:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the great Japanese Toilet Report.

Yes there are floor pans. I find the crouching uncomfortable and they're hell if you have a knee problem. The flushing isn't always effective and so they can be stinky. And I'm still not sure which way I'm supposed to face.

Attachment 16005

They also have regular wester style Crappers. This one is my bathroom, notice how everything (shower, tub, basin, toilet) is crammed into a tiny space. I just measured it: 140 x 105 x 195 (high) cm. (55 x 41 x 76 inches).

Attachment 16006

And of course the legendary "washlet" space-age superloo, with electrically heated seat, built-in bidet, deodorant sprayer, non-contact flushing mechanism and - on some models - a background music player to cover the sounds of splashing.

Attachment 16007

This is the control arm, the flusher is visible in the picture above, the green glowing light on the wall behind the control arm.

Attachment 16008

Both the flusher and deodorizer have manual and automatic operation - when the seat detects a big weight reduction (person stands up), it automatically deodorizes. When you move away from the unit, it flushes. It flushed and deodorized after I took these photos even though I hadn't sat on it. Maybe it figured I had taken a leak.

ZenGum 12-02-2007 06:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Furthermore, there are also urinals, but only the one person per stall types, not the long trough types. These ones have movement sensors for automatic flushing, mounted at the top ... at least, I think that's what those little camera-looking things are!

Attachment 16009

Also, quite a few toilet rooms have these, and I'm still not sure what they are. I'm not going near it.

Attachment 16010

And to continue with the Asian Toilet theme for a moment:

Attachment 16011

Reuters offers the following caption:
Quote:

A worker decorates a room set up as a toilet during the International Toilet & Bath Expo in Seoul, November 22, 2007, which is a sideline event of the inaugural conference of the World Toilet Association.

Sundae 12-02-2007 09:12 AM

Cool! Thanks Zen.

With the European squatter I know you are supposed to face the door (advice on a travel site I read for Brits & Merkins). As that doesn't work in your case, all I can suggest is the other way than you expect, which I what I personally learned when using one.

Re knees - I found it hell in Siena and I was (comparatively) slim then. Irony is, due to exercise I could probably squat my bulk more comfortably than I did my slimmer frame. Altough I'd need another month's training to manage doing it in heels!

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 412479)
Also, quite a few toilet rooms have these, and I'm still not sure what they are. I'm not going near it.

That's the slop sink, for the janitor to fill and dump cleaning buckets.

slang 12-03-2007 11:15 AM

Well done on the toilets ZG.

ZenGum 12-15-2007 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stuck for a Christmas present? Try this:

Quote:

Ever wonder what your dog does while you’re away? Wonder what life looks like at his level?

Wonder no more. The Wonderful Shot pet camera from Takara Tomy allows you to send your pet off to take photos of its day with a tiny and light 3.5 megapixel camera connected to its collar. You can take the photos manually anytime with the mini remote, or set the timer to take pictures at certain intervals.

Of course, Wonderful Shot is great for cats or any pet with a collar that has daytime adventures that you want to know about.
Attachment 16206

Razzmatazz13 12-15-2007 10:04 AM

Or you could walk your short pup around downtown and innocently snap photos as he runs up to snorfle in young japanese schoolgirl crotches? :eyebrow:

ZenGum 12-15-2007 10:11 AM

I hadn't thought of that application ... but if I knew how to google it in Japanese, I'm sure rule 34 would apply.
Although it looks like the camera would point downwards a bit, might not work too well.