The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's For Breakfast? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23077)

bbro 07-21-2010 10:31 AM

Smoothie fail! Gonna try again tomorrow. It was a little sour, but I think that is because of the yogurt I am using. Will use 3/4 cup instead of a whole one and maybe throw a bit of sweetener in....and maybe some more fruit I also think freezing it was a VERY bad idea.

Chocolatl 07-21-2010 03:25 PM

What part was frozen? You blended it up... then froze it... then waited for it to thaw before drinking it?:confused:

Pico and ME 07-21-2010 04:21 PM

Egg casserole tomorrow for the road trip to Santa Claus Indiana. We leave bright an early at 6am.

bbro 07-22-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolatl (Post 671817)
What part was frozen? You blended it up... then froze it... then waited for it to thaw before drinking it?:confused:

Yep. That was the mistake. I made it fresh today with only cherry and added some truvia to cut the tartness. Not really hungry yet so I haven't tasted it.

classicman 07-22-2010 08:07 AM

You must blend, then consume IMMEDIATELY!

bbro 07-22-2010 08:24 AM

I can't consume immediately. I can't eat breakfast until I get to work because of morning medicine I take and there is no blender here.

classicman 07-22-2010 08:32 AM

ohhh bummer.

Shawnee123 07-22-2010 09:01 AM

Scrambled eggs, toast, two bacon, coffee, diet coke.

No dinner again last night. I'm a bozo.

bbro 07-22-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 671929)
ohhh bummer.

Yea. I was going to get a Thermos to dump it into if I discovered I liked it enough, but I don't know if I do.

Shawnee - that used to be close to my normal breakfast. I may have to make some bacon this weekend.

Chocolatl 07-22-2010 11:32 AM

Bbro, I'd probably recommend smoothies for a weekend breakfast. They don't really store well. I also recommend trying it with just fruit and fruit juice. The smoothies I usually make at home are frozen strawberries, frozen peaches, frozen mango, and a banana, and then enough orange juice to get the thing to mix well. They're nice and light, and great for a summer morning!

bbro 07-22-2010 11:47 AM

The only thing with just fruit and fruit juice is too much sugar and high points. I don't think it would keep me full as long as I need it to. I am still experimenting with no-egg breakfasts. Next week I am going to have a steak and potato wrap :D

skysidhe 11-27-2010 03:49 PM

Maple sausage, coffee, blackberries.

Blackberry smoothie and sausage for the roomie.

fargon 11-27-2010 06:42 PM

Pancakes.

skysidhe 11-27-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 696605)
Pancakes.

That's what my breakfast was missing.

bluecuracao 11-27-2010 09:52 PM

I am most definitely having pancakes tomorrow morning. I had leftover chocolate mousse cake from a takeout container for this morning's breakfast, and it just didn't work out very well.

Sundae 11-28-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 671830)
Egg casserole tomorrow for the road trip to Santa Claus Indiana. We leave bright an early at 6am.

Recipe for egg casserole please - that sounds YUMMY.

skysidhe 11-28-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao (Post 696627)
I am most definitely having pancakes tomorrow morning. I had leftover chocolate mousse cake from a takeout container for this morning's breakfast, and it just didn't work out very well.

I do those kind of things. Have leftover cake for breakfast. Then regret it.:greenface

skysidhe 11-28-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 671830)

Is that like a crustless quiche? I made one of those last week. mmm

wolf 11-28-2010 01:53 PM

Steel Cut Oats this morning, with second-breakfast of wheat bagel with hummus.

I really wanted waffles, though. Just didn't have the patience to get out the HelloKitty wafflemaker today, though.

Cloud 11-28-2010 03:03 PM

baked sour cream enchiladas (green) and sopaipillas today!

Gravdigr 11-29-2010 03:12 AM

What's for breakfast?

Gloom & despair, with a side of regret.

skysidhe 11-29-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 696949)
What's for breakfast?

Gloom & despair, with a side of regret.

aww, :(

monster 11-29-2010 09:26 PM

I didn't get no breakfast today. :( Stupid non-starting car. I made up for it with lunch, though :D

Pico and ME 11-29-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 696700)
Recipe for egg casserole please - that sounds YUMMY.

It is and I love it.

Ingredients:

1 pound breakfast sausage, browned and drained of fat

6 slices of bread, cubed - I use whole wheat.

6 eggs

2 cups milk

1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Salt and Pepper to taste (I don't usually need this)

In large bowl blend the eggs, milk and seasonings, then add the sausage, cheese and bread and toss until well mixed. Pour into a greased 9 x 12-inch casserole dish, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour.

DanaC 11-30-2010 04:46 AM

I have half a pack of Border Biscuits 'toffee apple crumbles' left over from last night.

With a cup of strong sweet coffee.

Sundae 11-30-2010 06:32 AM

Pico, how does that come out?
Kinda... omlette-y?
You Americans sure love your eggs - I'm buying them like water to practice my cakes - three eggs per cake? Six eggs for breakfast? Blimey. Okay, I appreciate the above is not breakfast for one :)

Also - breakfast sausage. Wassat?
Just sausagemeat? Or patties (can't get here) or links - what we call sausage? Or maybe just ground (minced) seasoned pork... Hmmmm.

ETA - Youtube answered most of my questions, but I'd still like your (and other Dwellars) opinions.
It's more like what we would call a frittata or Spanish omelette - with differences of course. Our casseroles don't tend to be set. Looks yummy though, I might have to tweak it and offer it for brunch one day.

Dana - that sounds rubbish.
At least I had Rice Krispies.

Trilby 11-30-2010 08:50 AM

Sundae - that's what we call Sausage casserole and it's pretty yummy but RICH. the sausage is like ground pork...y'know? Only sausage. comes in a roll...? is this ringing a bell?

have it with fruit like cantelope slices or grapes or oranges. very good, filling and rich.

skysidhe 11-30-2010 11:43 AM

I am eating an English muffin and drinking coffee.

I think Americans love coffee more than eggs. Cold cereal would be at the top of the list? Toast?

I don't like heavy greasy rich meals so much so I've never had that sausage casserole.

IMO.The quiche is a better lighter version of an egg casserole. Brocolli or spinach and cheese. mmm

xoxoxoBruce 11-30-2010 11:45 AM

But real men don't eat quiche, so we go for the egg casserole. :haha:

skysidhe 11-30-2010 12:09 PM

You would eat it if I called it a baked omlette. You might get suspicious of the green vegetables though. I wonder if it would get the stink-eye.:eyebrow:?

Urbane Guerrilla 11-30-2010 02:03 PM

Probably depends on the green veggie. Spinach got Popeye appeal, y'know.

skysidhe 11-30-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 697337)
Probably depends on the green veggie. Spinach got Popeye appeal, y'know.

:)

glatt 11-30-2010 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My boss just gave me a quart can of John McCann's steel cut Irish oatmeal. I don't know if it's any good, but the can is freaking awesome. Looks like a can of paint.

She openly admitted it was a re-gift and she had no desire to spend 30 minutes making oatmeal.

Undertoad 11-30-2010 03:50 PM

That's what you want man. It's the best. But when I say that, the islanders claim it's just porridge and no particular porridge can be the best.

footfootfoot 11-30-2010 06:59 PM

You pay about $9.00 for the can. Ordinary steel cut oats in bulk at the coop are about $32 for 50# for organic. That's about .64 per #.

They are really the best oats, steel cut that is. butter and maple syrup and cinnamon. If you can't be bothered to cook them a long time in the am then soak them over night. If you cook them in milk they are extra delicioso.

And SG, breakfast sausage is distinctively seasoned, primarily with black pepper and sage, some sugar and other spices that vary by recipe.

It is a very pleasant sausage.

footfootfoot 11-30-2010 07:01 PM

I'm really hungry right now. My stomach has been in an uproar since my MIL arrived and it is still not right. I just ate a bunch of pickled beets and smoked mackerel. (It is dinner)

glatt 11-30-2010 07:22 PM

we'll try the oatmeal out on Saturday. I'll report back.

monster 11-30-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 697182)
Also - breakfast sausage. Wassat?
Just sausagemeat?

pretty much. breakfast sausage links here are the closest to British Bangers (skinny ones), but the the meat is more coarse and "meaty" and more seasoned.

Quote:

Our casseroles don't tend to be set.
casserole here means pretty much anything baked in a casserole dish. For example, Green Bean casserole is basically mushroom soup poured over fried onions and green beans and baked for a while..... they don't really make anything like what we'd call casserole here -at least I've never come across it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 697195)
comes in a roll...? is this ringing a bell?

Well it certainly didn't used to be sold in a tube but i've been gone a while now......
Quote:

have it with fruit like cantelope slices or grapes or oranges. very good, filling and rich.
Scuse me, but are you suggesting eating fruit with sausage meat? And if so, would that be with or without Maple Syrup? :vomitblu:

footfootfoot 11-30-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt

Remember to stir it a lot and keep the heat down or it will burn. It may take a few rounds before you get the hang of it. I suppose there's directions on the can.

Pico and ME 11-30-2010 09:19 PM

Glatt, steel cuts the best - I can't eat regular anymore. Because its such a pain to make, I usually just make up a big batch and keep it in the fridge. In the morning I just heat some up in the microwave.

DanaC 12-01-2010 06:13 AM

Today I am breaking my fast with several large mugs of strong coffee, two cigarettes and a slightly more ... aromatic smoke to finish.

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2010 03:24 PM

Sounds like the recipe for diarrhea and coughing... very bad combination. :haha:

Aliantha 12-01-2010 04:39 PM

I'll be having water, then vege juice, followed by muselie with dried cranberries and soy milk.

classicman 12-01-2010 04:47 PM

But Ali - Are you gonna actually EAT something?

Aliantha 12-01-2010 04:57 PM

I'm doing the liver cleansing diet. I've actually gotten to really like the food on it again.

It's part of my whole change of lifestyle. During the bit of a while since Max was born, I've become very unhealthy, mostly thanks to the post natal depression, but I'm feeling so much better these days. In fact, I feel like a whole different person, and it's good.

So anyway, getting my body to match my mind is my biggest challenge at the moment, but it's going ok. Slowly but surely I'm getting there. :)

fargon 12-01-2010 08:04 PM

Today I had oatmeal bars and yogurt, tomorrow I'm having biscuits and sausage gravy, and eggs YUM.

Clodfobble 12-01-2010 10:55 PM

For awhile now breakfast every day has been a sliced banana covered in 24-hour fermented goat yogurt (28.8 billion CFU per serving! declares the bottle,) topped liberally with honey. I've been craving it on a regular basis ever since I started eating it.

DanaC 12-02-2010 04:53 AM

Cigarettes and coffee again.

wolf 12-02-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 697349)
My boss just gave me a quart can of John McCann's steel cut Irish oatmeal. I don't know if it's any good, but the can is freaking awesome. Looks like a can of paint.

She openly admitted it was a re-gift and she had no desire to spend 30 minutes making oatmeal.

This is the most wonderful stuff in the world, and is absolutely worth the 30 minutes of close attention that the cooking process requires. Make a whole batch, eat 1/4, put the rest in the firdge in a microwavable container. I hate American Style Wallpaper Paste (I can't bring myself to call the Quaker stuff oatmeal), but I love McCann's. Awesome nutty roasty flavor.

Watch it like a hawk in the early stages, it has a tendency to froth up and boil over no matter how big the pot is! You can be more relaxed during the half-hour of simmering. I have never tried the soak overnight method. I do have a friend that does the crock pot while she's sleeping method (from Alton Brown's Good Eats) but says you either need to wake up early, or put in some extra liquid to have it work properly.

footfootfoot 12-02-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 697597)
Sounds like the recipe for diarrhea and coughing... very bad combination. :haha:

From a Dennis Leary routine:
You ever smoke a big, fat bag of crack and then drink a whole bottle of Nyquil?
I mean, what's the point of being high if you're just going to cough?

Shawnee123 12-02-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 697723)
Cigarettes and coffee again.

We really should do breakfast sometime! Easy enough to make, and chock full of my favorite things. :)

bluecuracao 12-02-2010 07:53 PM

Big cup of delicious hot coffee with soy milk, and a whole wheat bagel with hummus.

I also had chocolate cake afterward, but I'm counting that as lunch.

glatt 12-04-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 697390)

The oats were a bit rancid. It was a new, unopened can, but I think it was old. Can't find a date on it. The date must have been on the inner liner I threw away. I made a batch, and it was yucky.

I threw the rest away, but the can is pretty neat. My son asked for it, so I gave it to him.

richlevy 12-04-2010 09:36 AM

Hopefully maple turkey bacon. I moved it from the freezer to the fridge to defrost last night.:yum:

From a linguistic standpoint notice how 2 of the adjectives are also nouns. We could say 'a maple' or 'a turkey'.

From a food perspective this combines 3 tasty items in one package maple syrup, turkey, and bacon.

I've never actually tried this brand or maple flavored bacon before, but I have high hopes. :thumb:

wolf 12-04-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 698293)
The oats were a bit rancid. It was a new, unopened can, but I think it was old. Can't find a date on it. The date must have been on the inner liner I threw away. I made a batch, and it was yucky.

I threw the rest away, but the can is pretty neat. My son asked for it, so I gave it to him.

That's a shame. It is worthwhile going out and getting a new (and hopefully fresher) can. Perhaps the seal's integrity was violated somehow? Unopened oats should have a pretty long shelf life.

glatt 12-04-2010 12:48 PM

My boss had two cans she was giving away. I think one had just come in the mail as a gift and she realized she had an old unopened one in her pantry. Her secretary must have gotten the new one and I must have gotten the old one. Oh well. Next time I'm in whole foods, which is about once a year, I'll check the bulk food section and see if they have any I can try for cheap.

Pico and ME 12-04-2010 12:52 PM

Glatt, Quaker Qats sells the steel cut variety and it aint bad....check your grocery local grocery store. I used to get it at my grocery store but they stopped selling it (just one more reason I hate middle hoosierland!)

monster 12-04-2010 04:41 PM

turkey bacon, veggie burgers... whats the point? ugh. And don't even consider turkey burgers -even the cats wouldn't eat them. and they eat all sorts of unidentifiable nasties.....

richlevy 12-04-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 698405)
turkey bacon, veggie burgers... whats the point? ugh. And don't even consider turkey burgers -even the cats wouldn't eat them. and they eat all sorts of unidentifiable nasties.....

I agree with you on the turkey burgers, but if you put enough nitrates and salt into turkey bacon, it tastes just like the real thing.

I was used to my other brand of turkey bacon, so I put some olive oil in the pan to make up for the usual lack of fat. I didn't need to worry, this brand was thick cut and they must have some pretty fat turkeys, because it was just as fatty as pork bacon. Pretty good.

I took pictures, but the camera is downstairs.

According to this site, out of the 45 calories in a single slice, 20 calories is fat. Bless them.

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_cal...Free?fd=420854

footfootfoot 12-04-2010 08:33 PM

Oatmeal 7.
Oatmeal 7 is better than regular oatmeal. In fact, it is 7 better than regular oatmeal (The way mom makes it) Dad makes Oatmeal 7 which is only one better than oatmeal 6.

Oatmeal 7 is:

Rolled oats, the slow kind, not instant.
Milk or half and half
pinch of salt
vanilla extract
butter
Maple syrup, or brown sugar, or honey (No you can't have all three, that's disgusting)
Cinnamon

Add it all together and cook it. It's Oatmeal 7 and it's better than regular oatmeal.

My kids ask for it by name.
GFCF must make the appropriate subs with almond milk or something.