The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

DanaC 02-12-2013 01:26 PM

Picnic at hanging Rock is an odd film. Very atmospheric. I remember almost nothing of the story but I recall its atmosphere totally.

BigV 02-20-2013 08:44 PM

hated it.

atmosphere and all.

DanaC 02-21-2013 06:58 AM

I associate it with that feeling of having stayed up far too late, drawn into watching something that I wasn't exactly enjoying but couldn't quite pull away from...

Strange film.

infinite monkey 02-21-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 853814)
hated it.

atmosphere and all.

You're like Men on Film! ;)

yeah, it was strange. I didn't HATE it but it wasn't the greatest. I was watching it from a more detached professional view (all part of my independent study from no school to learn more about the art and science of film) and found it a bit interesting. Kind of a 'doing something no one was really doing before' by taking a story and presenting it as a true event, leaving the mystery unsolved.

It was filmed in Australia and the cinematography was nice.

It's a good one for the ol' collection. I do see the value in the film. For me, value doesn't equate to loud noises or car chases or funny looking people running around in otherworlds. :lol:

Though I'm no arty-smarty. I like a good romp as much as the next guy. ;) I just like to study 'art' and what makes one thing 'arty' and another thing not.

Gravdigr 02-22-2013 11:41 AM

Watched "Sinister" night before last.

It was very not bad.

Gravdigr 02-22-2013 11:41 AM

Oh, and "Flight".

A+!

infinite monkey 02-22-2013 11:52 AM

I really want to see Flight.

On their way: Apocalypse Now Redux AND Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse.

The documentary has footage shot by Eleanor Coppola (Francis Ford's wife) who turned it over to a coupla directors who made the film. It was in the book 1001 Movies to See Before You Die...and is supposed to be really good. I guess making the film was a horrendous experience. I can't wait to see the behind the scenes. So I'll watch ANR, then watch the documentary, then re-read Heart of Darkness. A trifecta of the arts!

glatt 02-22-2013 12:06 PM

Hearts of Darkness was pretty good. Did you know Sheen had a heart attack while filming that movie?

infinite monkey 02-22-2013 12:12 PM

I actually just read that. That was one of the many stumbling blocks apparently.

I can't wait to see it!

infinite monkey 02-26-2013 03:59 PM

I also got The White Ribbon. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1149362/

(I got the above and the Apocalypse movies yesterday, am waiting for the weekend. Or a snow day. Please please please snow day.)

And on its way Requiem For a Dream. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/

glatt 03-03-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 854050)
Oh, and "Flight".

A+!

Finally watched this last night. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

Sundae 03-03-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 852516)
Picnic at hanging Rock is an odd film. Very atmospheric. I remember almost nothing of the story but I recall its atmosphere totally.

Yup, watched it. Can't 'member why.
Might be the same reason as you, Infi.
Oh wait, no, I read the book before I saw the film. Still can't 'member why.
Might be the same reason as you Infi.

I think I'd best go clean the bathroom now.
Before I forget.

BigV 03-12-2013 11:54 AM

Recently watched:

Flight -- ****

Seven Psycopaths -- C-

Beasts of the Southern Wild -- Excellent. I might add this to my purchase list. Very well done, highly "atmospheric" (ha!), immersive, moving. Strongly recommended.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Hitchcock's remake with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day) -- Very good.

Flaming Star (Elvis Presley) -- Very good. Mentioned by Quentin Tarrantino, so, had to see it.

infinite monkey 03-25-2013 10:06 AM

The Shadow People (ooooh, scary. Not really...but done in a much different 'actual footage' kind of way than the scary movie fare of late. I rather liked it. What's funny is I have seen Shadow People...in a moment of half awake/half asleep and I SWEAR there is someone suddenly standing over me, their face coming closer and closer. I scream myself awake and it's over.) ;)

Running With Scissors (Liked it. I like Jill Clayburgh [RIP] and Annette Bening.

Moonrise Kingdom (will have to start this one over...I was too distracted)

glatt 03-25-2013 10:16 AM

I liked Moonrise Kingdom, but i have to admit the tittle is dumb. After I saw it, somebody was mentioning Moonrise Kingdom and asked if I had seen it, and since it sounded like some movie about, I dunno, a romance in India or something, I said no. They should call it Camp Ivanhoe Diaries, or something like that.