The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Downunder Authors (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11826)

busterb 09-24-2006 10:39 AM

Downunder Authors

Any help in finding authors who write, wrote about the early days downunder? Someone like Wilbur Smith, who has written about Africa. I read some years ago and don't have a clue as to who wrote them.
Tnxs BB

Clodfobble 09-24-2006 11:48 AM

I read Robert Hughes' The Fatal Shore in high school, about the founding of Australia with colonies of convicts. Nonfiction, but it reads like a novel. It was good enough to keep; I still have it on the bookshelf.

wolf 09-24-2006 06:18 PM

The only Australian novel I can recall reading is Nevil Shute's "A Town Like Alice," which is realy about what happened to a group of English Women and Children who were taken prisoner by the Japanese. I saw the Masterpiece Theater teleplay and wanted to read the original story.

DucksNuts 09-24-2006 06:26 PM

Judy Nunn has written a few.... KAL for example.

Also, Bryce Courtenay

busterb 09-26-2006 11:49 AM

Thanks BB

SteveDallas 09-26-2006 12:03 PM

There are a couple Aussie sci-fi authors I like, but sounds like that's not what you're looking for!

busterb 10-10-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I read Robert Hughes' The Fatal Shore in high school, about the founding of Australia with colonies of convicts. Nonfiction, but it reads like a novel. It was good enough to keep; I still have it on the bookshelf.

Thanks. I picked it up at library today.

Aliantha 10-10-2006 06:53 PM

You could try Leviathan by John Birmingham. It's mostly about Sydney and its origins right up to modern times. An interesting read in my opinion and as it is a referenced biographical account, it falls under the genre of creative non-fiction which is what gives it the flavour of the city more than anything else.

JayMcGee 10-10-2006 07:32 PM

'creative non-fiction' ....... that's gotta rank with a 'terminalogical in-exactitude'

Aliantha 10-11-2006 11:33 PM

creative non-fiction is pretty much the genre for most biographical novels. The events in the story are fact, but the story is created by the authors imagination. Even Auto-biographies are creative non-fiction because when you write the story of your life, no one could possibly expect anyone to remember every conversation word for word etc. Hence, 'creative' non-fiction.

Trust me, it's an actual genre and very popular in this post modern era.

JayMcGee 10-12-2006 06:28 PM

mmmmm.....ok... I grudgingly accept the concept.... but, like TV 'drama-documetaries' I have reservations about not only the versimiltude of such creations, but also of the long-term affect upon an increasingly less-literate society... we are in grave danger of creating a whole new set of 'urban legends'...

'it must be right - it was in this book i red - i saw it in that docuentary i seed on the box ...'

Aliantha 10-12-2006 06:44 PM

Well that has to do with teaching people critical and independant thought. There are sections of society which have always had difficulty with that concept. ;)

JayMcGee 10-12-2006 07:09 PM

mmmm...... which concept? crictical & independent thought? or the teaching of it......

Aliantha 10-12-2006 07:15 PM

Jay...I think the lack of teaching students this basic skill is a problem in the education system.

busterb 10-12-2006 07:52 PM

:) Read my lips. Downunder authors!