The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you sneeze today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20721)

Shawnee123 07-23-2009 12:05 PM

What's making you sneeze today?

A twist on the old clone thread. (I couldn't resist.) http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=583419&postcount=4409

Some might say it's nothing to sneeze at, but I know better.

Achooooooooo!

dar512 07-23-2009 12:08 PM

A summer cold. (It's a different animal)

Shawnee123 07-23-2009 12:12 PM

Mom always said "summer is the best time to get a cold." I never knew if she meant it's a good season for it because the hot weather is therapeutic, or if she meant it's easier to get a cold in the summer.

Not unlike putting water into a nuclear reactor. You can never put in too much water, you know.

Griff 07-23-2009 01:07 PM

dusty weedy hay... not precisely today but last week

nor can you stare too long...

Undertoad 07-23-2009 01:20 PM

Don't exactly know. Allergies - maybe it's a reminder to change out the dust filter!

I do know that when I pick the cucumbers, and rummage around the squash, my arms itch for an hour afterwards.

Sundae 07-23-2009 03:46 PM

Sunlight.
As ever.

But it's getting me dirtier looks these days.
My parents' ridiculous right-wing tabloid says 350 people a day will die of swine flu. I might be stoned to death in the street at this rate.

Ibby 07-23-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 583479)
Sunlight.
As ever.

But it's getting me dirtier looks these days.
My parents' ridiculous right-wing tabloid says 350 people a day will die of swine flu. I might be stoned to death in the street at this rate.

just wanted to note that this, of all posts, is your 10,000th.
carry on.

Sundae 07-24-2009 11:03 AM

Damn.
I'd been looking forward to it too.

Thanks for mentioning it - events overtook me and I completely missed it.
Hey, at least it's honest and not unkind.

Shawnee123 07-24-2009 11:56 AM

I'm dumb. It is making me sneeze:

I went to lunch early because, apparently, only Ancient Chinese Lady knows that if you're just STANDING behind the salad bar and the cottage cheese is empty, you can REFILL it, and I really wanted a salad today, so I grabbed a window of opportunity.

I brought it up to my desk to eat it, put pepper on my c-cheese, then thought if dude didn't care if it is full he might also not care if it's gone bad. I smelled it. After letting pepper fly all over the place. Achoo.

Stupidity makes me sneeze. :lol:

dar512 07-24-2009 12:05 PM

After visualizing this sneeze, I'm wondering if there is now cottage cheese all over the place, too.

Also wondering if the cottage cheese was bad. And if so, how naughty was it?

Shawnee123 07-24-2009 12:07 PM

Well, the sneeze was delayed, so the cottage cheese, which wasn't at all rancid, survived the event.

Urbane Guerrilla 07-24-2009 10:56 PM

Well, snorting the pizzeria garlic powder does not make you sneeze -- but you might start hallucinating that you've been teleported to Italy.

"It's Saint Marks'... the pigeons! The pigeons!!"

Sprinkling cottage cheese with a condiment: "It is impossible," sayeth Kehlog Albran in The Profit, "to put too much salt on cottage cheese." At least so long as the cottage cheese is still visible under the salt, I suppose.

I get the sunlight kerchoo, too, SG. It's a reflex, known to the medical profession. The "photic reflex."

Clodfobble 07-24-2009 11:03 PM

Ooh! I just read a thing in a magazine in a doctor's waiting room today, about why they think the photic reflex happens (and it happens in 20%-33% of the population, BTW.)

The article said it's because there's a nerve, that starts with tel-something, which is responsible for sensing the light around you and closing your pupils quickly when you go from dark to light. And this nerve is right next to the nerve in the brain that triggers sneezing. They think that in photic-reflex-sneezers, the nerves are especially close, and triggering one causes the other to fire as well.

Sundae 07-25-2009 06:37 AM

And I have "evidence" that it's gentic.
Given that the plural of experience is not proof... I get it down my father's side of the family. My bro and Dads have it too - but of course I have it more. Of course! But I have read proper evidence.

You know how yawning is contagious?
Sneezing is, in my life.
I put my face in the right frame for sneezing and it comes on.

Walk down a bright street with me and everybody stares. Well, children and old people anyway. I sneeze in batches of 5 and can easily manage 10 by the end of the street. This can go up to 20 if I'm in and out of the sun.

Funny that you mentioned St Marks, UG - Venice is the worst place in the world for a photic-sneezer! All dark alleyways and sudden bright squares. I went there on my honeymoon and my ex delighted in counting down the seconds until my next sneeze. In a lovely way (this was not why we divorced).

ZenGum 07-26-2009 10:52 PM

If only orgasm worked the same way.