The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Griff 09-02-2006 04:35 PM

Cidade de Deus

Saw City of God last night. This is an excellent Portugese language flick set in the slums of Rio de Janero. From the imbd I found out that the actors were all local unknowns. I really liked how they put the storylines together and the acting was remarkable.

glatt 09-05-2006 08:22 AM

Just saw Inside Man over the weekend. Surprisingly good Spike Lee bank heist movie. It keeps you riveted throughout, and you find yourself rooting for all the characters throughout. I'm not such a Spike Lee fan, but this was really good. Not preachy at all.

Pangloss62 09-05-2006 08:37 AM

Cidade de Deus

That WAS a great flick. I loved how the characters developed over time. I've been to Brasil 8 times and have even been to some of those Favelas, albeit the ones outside of Sao Paulo. When in Rio, I only saw them from the Copacabana. A good comparison is to watch Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro, 1959) which is set in Rio during Carnival. The plot is a bit maudlin, but it's got some great camera work and cool editing. The music is credited with starting the Bossa Nova trend, but that could be argued (by me especially).:neutral:

Happy Monkey 09-05-2006 10:26 AM

Bottom. Consistently amusing, and repulsively endearing characters. A few laugh-out-loud moments.

Spexxvet 09-05-2006 01:01 PM

Syriana. Didn't like it.

Ibby 09-08-2006 07:12 AM

WELCOME TO GOOD BURGER HOME OF THE GOOD BURGER CAN I TAKE YOUR ORDER?

Ibby 09-09-2006 12:12 AM

The Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars Motion Picture. One of the best shows that has ever been put on, as well as Ziggy's final hours.

wolf 09-13-2006 11:15 PM

Oz, Season 6. Started tonight.

Ibby 09-16-2006 06:12 PM

The Dub Room Special!

(Zappa)

Griff 09-17-2006 08:48 AM

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou :)
I liked this a lot but will not recommend it to anyone because it isn't going to work for most. Seu Jorge is really amusing repeatedly singing Ziggy Stardust pieces in Portugese while accompanying himself on the acoustic. If you grew up on Jacque Crosteau and want to mock it a little this movie may work.

Elspode 09-19-2006 10:23 AM

I used to mock Jacques Cousteau on a regular basis, but lovingly, as I was and am a major fan.

I watched "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern on Saturday. The 70's were so very innocent, in a twisted and bizarre way.

wolf 09-20-2006 11:33 AM

Spent the weekend with a rock rolled up against the cave door.

Finished watching Oz, Season 6.

Howl's Moving Castle (very cool!)

Fantastic Four (better than expected, got the Thing's Existential Angst pretty well)

Bewitched (can I have this two hours of my life back please)

Dark Water (not very horrifying horror film, too predictable, no scenes that cause you to jump or shriek)

KinkyVixen 09-27-2006 04:06 PM

I'm into Scrubs, 24, and Prison Break - all on DVD 'cause that's the only way I ever get to watch a TV Series.
As for movies...i haven't seen a movie in a loooooooooooooong time.
I like crazy jacked up movies, like Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, The Butterfly Effect. Or, movies that make me think like Crash, and Big Fish. Other than that, anything that's scary or funny...

[edit] for The Boondock Saints. That movie rocks!! I watched it like 6 times in 3 days when I bought it.

Ibby 10-01-2006 02:00 AM

Arrested Development.

Best.
Show.
EVER!

...Well, maybe not ever, but pretty close.

stereogramm 10-01-2006 03:36 AM

Saw The Godfather yesterday again. The best movie I have ever seen.