The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   good music on youtube (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13372)

Undertoad 12-10-2016 11:17 AM

SECRETS OF THE SONGS: "Wichita Lineman" is a simple song, why is it so haunting and effective? One reason is because it starts with an intro of a pleasant little F chord... and then NEVER RETURNS TO IT! It wanders through different musical places, trying to get back, but it never does, and then it fades. That's pretty weird for a simple pop song, but consider this... it's the lonely lineman on the road, wistfully thinking of the pleasant chord at home.

Griff 12-10-2016 12:03 PM

More reason to love that.

Wait? The Nickel Creek kids are adults now? We saw them a long time ago at a local hockey rink.

Gravdigr 12-10-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 976020)
SECRETS OF THE SONGS: "Wichita Lineman" is a simple song, why is it so haunting and effective? One reason is because it starts with an intro of a pleasant little F chord... and then NEVER RETURNS TO IT! It wanders through different musical places, trying to get back, but it never does, and then it fades. That's pretty weird for a simple pop song, but consider this... it's the lonely lineman on the road, wistfully thinking of the pleasant chord at home.

From This Day In History Nov 30, 1968:

Quote:

1968 - Glen Campbell started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Wichita Lineman.' Jimmy Webb's inspiration for the lyrics came while driving through Washita County in northern Oklahoma. Webb was driving through an endless litany of telephone poles, each looking exactly the same as the last. Then, in the distance, he noticed the silhouette of a solitary lineman atop a pole. Webb then "put himself atop that pole and put that phone in his hand" as he considered what the lineman was saying into the receiver.

BigV 12-11-2016 12:06 PM

Legit as fuck

BTW, you gotta have a tiny desk to make room for a band that big

PS. Thank you.

Gravdigr 12-11-2016 02:28 PM

Not quite safe for work, lots of near misses, but only one bleeped dirty word at the very end:

BigV 12-12-2016 12:52 PM

Quite.

Don't think I missed any entendres.

Griff 12-17-2016 08:21 AM

Trampled by Turtles : Codeine

I'd say more like cocaine, dem licks!

BigV 12-17-2016 08:59 PM

Chock a block full of the best music, but this article is for reading mainly

http://www.hindustantimes.com/brunch...grc7iTZYP.html

The "would-you-believe-it" Hindustan Times. (WTF?) has an excellent article about the newly released album by the Rolling Stones. Here's just the epigraph. Fuck you 2016

Quote:

Tailpiece: It’s been a horrid year, 2016. We lost so many great musicians: David Bowie, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Merle Haggard, Phife Dawg, Sharon Jones, Leon Russell… to name just a few. Some, such as Bowie and Cohen, left soon after giving us their last albums, brilliant ones. It is heartening, therefore, to hear that none other than the man whose name is synonymous with “rock ‘n’ roll” is not only alive and kicking but will give us a new album soon. Chuck Berry, who is 90, will release a new album in 2017. It will be called Chuck. I can’t wait. Long live rock ‘n’ roll!

From HT Brunch, December 18, 2016

BigV 12-17-2016 10:16 PM

Men With Banjos Who Know How To Use Them.

Man, I love this song, Foggy Mountain Breakdown

be-bop 12-22-2016 03:41 AM

The video is pretty naff but I love the song, very good for a cover

Snakeadelic 12-25-2016 09:22 AM

Hope this works! This number had to be left off the official DVD release due to a music rights conflict. I will never not laugh myself fuzzy!

Well, it didn't work when I tried to play the video thru the post link. Search string for this is 'Vincent Price Muppets You've Got A Friend' and it is HILARIOUS.

Snakeadelic 12-25-2016 09:26 AM

Also, keeping in mind that live footage often has crappy sound, just about anything by Robin Trower, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and The Reverend Horton Heat (explicit lyrics warning on The Rev--if Weird Al had a drunk uncle from Texas, it would be The Rev).

xoxoxoBruce 12-25-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeadelic (Post 977327)
Hope this works! This number had to be left off the official DVD release due to a music rights conflict. I will never not laugh myself fuzzy!

Well, it didn't work when I tried to play the video thru the post link. Search string for this is 'Vincent Price Muppets You've Got A Friend' and it is HILARIOUS.

Pico and ME 01-01-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeadelic (Post 977327)

Awww, thats a treasure. Vincent Price is so awesome!

Undertoad 01-01-2017 10:50 PM

This particular software, you have to pluck out just a part of the YouTube link

Like if the link is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_uuECBtO80

you put the "M_uuECBtO80" bit between [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] tags.