The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Holy Chipotle! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17130)

lumberjim 04-28-2008 12:48 PM

Holy Chipotle!

huuuuge burrito. good guac and chips. i approve. is there one near you?

lookout123 04-28-2008 12:52 PM

Pretty much one on every block. of course, they're usually surrounded by better food.

LabRat 04-28-2008 12:56 PM

Hmmm. One just opened a few blocks from where I work last year. One of the grad students was counting the days till the grand opening. I still haven't been there yet though. Any recommendations?

Trilby 04-28-2008 12:57 PM

Hell to the YES there's one near me. Niece works at one on college breaks.

lookout123 04-28-2008 12:58 PM

it's actually not bad stuff and you get a lot of it. but due to my location, when I want some mexican food, there are better choices readily available.

Cicero 04-28-2008 01:04 PM

There are some in Colo Spgs where I was. I agree that they are usually surrounded by better food. I live in NM, so there is always kick ass Mexican food around. Sometimes there is only Mexican food around. Good thing I love it!:)

A little FYI if anyone cares: Chipotle is owned by McDonalds.

Cloud 04-28-2008 01:19 PM

None here. But there are 3 Mexican restaurants every block here, so we probably don't need one.

SteveDallas 04-28-2008 01:39 PM

One just opened on City Ave near the I-76 on-ramp. I want to try it out.

Perry Winkle 04-28-2008 02:09 PM

I think Chipotle (and its cousins Moe's and Baja Fresh) are slightly better than Taco Bell and Del Taco. That is, they're not hardly fit to eat.

Flint 04-28-2008 02:36 PM

I live in Texas (upper Mexico) so I can, and do, eat great Tex-Mex cuisine all the time. This includes having it prepared at home, and believe me, my wife is a culinary expert. Her homemade salsa is unbelievable; Mexican people pay her money to make it for them.

That being said... I eat at Chipotle, and I think it's great. The meat is braised (first seared and then cooked very slowly in a covered pot); you can customize your fixins; you get your order very quickly; and you can get a beer. And Mexican food just ain't right without a beer.

SteveDallas 04-28-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 449163)
Her homemade salsa is unbelievable;

Does she have any recipes she's willing to share?

Flint 04-28-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 449164)
Does she have any recipes she's willing to share?

If she ever gets a spare moment to get online without our children throwing a fit, I think she would be glad to share her recipes.

As for the salsa, it's no secret, really. Fresh, organic ingredients, and just the right amount of tomatillos.

binky 04-28-2008 04:22 PM

yes there is one only 60 miles from us :(

Clodfobble 04-28-2008 04:23 PM

Chipotle is damn tasty. It is not, however, Mexican food. I hear there are better Greek restaurants than Chipotle too... but the question is, are there any better big-ass burrito places nearby? Because that's the genre Chipotle belongs in.

For the record, there is a better big-ass burrito place in Austin called Freebird's... but it's not as close to me as Chipotle is. The biggest irritation about Chipotle is they have nothing on the menu remotely resembling kid-sized portions.

warch 04-28-2008 07:43 PM

Formerly Texas, now Minnesota and still suffering from breakfast taco withdrawl. Still. A tear...

Chipotles aint bad.
Carnitas or vegie fajita, go light on the rice and hit the blackbeans... more pico please! hold the cheese/scream. But you should come hungry or save half for later.

We also have Baja which does a fairly decent fish taco.

sigh.