The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Books you're currently reading??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4348)

juju 02-11-2004 01:09 AM

What is the point of this thread when we have the one in Lady Sidhe's forum?? My god you people are stu.. uh... wai.. wait a second.. er, nevermind.

::sheepishly walks away::

mrnoodle 02-14-2004 12:34 PM

I started the Wheel of Time series a couple months ago, and have made it to the 10th book. I.....can't......finish.....it. I'm stubborn enough to try and read it every day, but I can't slog through it. I just don't care what happens to any of them anymore. Such a promising start, too. In fact, I was into it all the way through book 7 or 8.

Now I'm reading the Bible a lot. The minor prophets are overlooked too often, imo. While I share the religious beliefs of the authors, if I didn't, the Bible would still be an amazing work.

Wake of the Perdido Star by Gene Hackman (!) and Daniel Lenihan. While celebrity-written books are usually almost completely the work of their co-author, Hackman has a real flair for storytelling. And I like the adventure-on-the-high-seas genre anyway.

MomentsAre 02-16-2004 02:38 AM

The Prophet - Kahil Gibran. It's absolutely amazing. You can read it for yourself here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~gm84/gibtable.html

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2004 09:31 AM

Read Gibran a lot in the 60's. Somehow it's not the same when I'm straight.:(

perth 02-16-2004 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mrnoodle
I started the Wheel of Time series a couple months ago, and have made it to the 10th book.
The 10th book? Holy shit, that's like an Ironman Challenge. :)

Reading the Star Wars Force Heretic series. I've only just discovered the extremely nerdy world of Star Wars books and these were the first I picked up. I've enjoyed them immensely so far, I can't wait to go back and read some more.

lumberjim 02-16-2004 09:48 AM

man, we just love trashing that Wheel of time series, don;t we? I'm a third of the way into book 2, because i had already bought it when i started to hear all of this...I liked the first one, although he does take his time getting from a to b, and i'll finish the second cuz i started it, but i guess i'll pay heed to your collective advice, and let it drop there.

anyone read the ring world sequels by niven?

Happy Monkey 02-16-2004 10:22 AM

Ringworld is great. I have almost all of Niven's books. He seems to be losing his touch recently, though - his recent books don't grip me as much.

I'm not starting Wheel of Time until it's done. I hate waitnig for the sequel, and I already am doing so with Song of Ice and Fire and the Sword of Truth (man is that sucking now).

I just read the comic book section of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol II, and am in the middle of reading the prose section. It has led me to the conclusion that my knowledge of Victorian literature is sadly lacking.

perth 02-16-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim
man, we just love trashing that Wheel of time series, don;t we? I'm a third of the way into book 2, because i had already bought it when i started to hear all of this...I liked the first one, although he does take his time getting from a to b, and i'll finish the second cuz i started it, but i guess i'll pay heed to your collective advice, and let it drop there.
Nah read it while you still enjoy it, but as soon as you get sick of it, quit. And yeah, I *love* bashing that series.

Cam 02-16-2004 11:58 AM

I tried reading the first book in the series, definitly couldn't get into it, kind of odd becuase I usually like epic fantasy.

juju 02-16-2004 04:25 PM

It irritated me how the women treated the men in the Wheel of Time series. All the characters joke about it, too. That irritates me even more.

I loved the series as well, but stopped around the 7th book or so.

wolf 02-16-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim
anyone read the ring world sequels by niven?
You betcha!

I found the best way to enjoy the series is to buy a copy of "Tales of Known Space." It's a short story collection, but provides a timeline for the stories that make up the whole series. Read them in the order specified on the timeline, not in the order published. This means that you'll be switching back and forth between the various shorts and novels, and there is even one instance where you read the first half of one book (I forget whether it's A Gift from Earth or World of Ptaavs) a short story or two, and then finish that one out.

I think the series was great up to Ringworld ... Ringworld Engineers was a little forced and Ringworld Throne was pretty lackluster, in comparison to the rest of the books.

undone 02-16-2004 05:45 PM

books you are currently reading

You guys are NOT going to peer pressure me into reading the "Wheel of Time" series.

I have just started Angels and Demons. I am prepared to hate it. It is appealing as the entire book takes place over a 24 hour period. Maybe it would be a good pic for those with ADHD.

I have devoured all of King's Dark Tower series and can hardly wait for August when the new one comes out (doing pee-pee dance)

I just finished JD Salinger's "Raise the Roofbeam Carpenter's and Seymour, An Introduction. YYAAAWWN.

Thanks to Wolf, I ordered "Fight Club" and "Choke" and am looking forward to their arrival.
I must have some seamy underbelly to peer into as my life is pretty squeaky clean.

-undone

mrnoodle 02-16-2004 05:55 PM

happy happy joy joy!

I was just looking through all my paperbacks to see if I still have the first Dark Tower books (can't wait for sequel), and guess what I found?

The Brave Cowboy, by Edward Abbey. The book that shaped my views on nature vs. encroaching civilization (no, I'm not starting that up again, don't worry) more than any other.

It's a gem. You should read it.

undone 02-16-2004 06:01 PM

books you are currently reading

Quote:

Originally posted by mrnoodle
happy happy joy joy!

I was just looking through all my paperbacks to see if I still have the first Dark Tower books (can't wait for sequel), and guess what I found?

that up again, The Brave Cowboy, by Edward Abbey. The book that shaped my views on nature vs. encroaching civilization (no, I'm not starting don't worry) more than any other.

It's a gem. You should read it.

mrnoodle, Edward Abbey rocks. Heyduke lives!

perth 02-16-2004 06:02 PM

Re: books you are currently reading

Quote:

Originally posted by undone
You guys are NOT going to peer pressure me into reading the "Wheel of Time" series.
That's right. I'm going to encourage you NOT to read it. But if you insist, you'll get to suffer like the rest of us.

And I agree with Juju. Part of why I quit reading them was because of the pages upon pages devoted to women bitching about how stupid men are.

The 'pages upon pages' thing above? I'm not exaggerating. Well, maybe a little bit.