The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Quorum of Introverts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34993)

Griff 03-24-2020 08:20 AM

A Quorum of Introverts

Is this our moment? Telecommuting, social isolation, and a growth of quiet reason over rhetoric, can it be that the world so dominated by extrovert's bullshit and bluster could edge toward calm, quiet competence?

sexobon 03-24-2020 08:31 AM

Thank you for your questions. All of our registered users are busy right now. Your OP will replied to at the first available opportunity. Again, thank you for your interest in The Cellar.

Squawk 03-24-2020 08:32 AM

I thought this might have been a joke thread - did you hear the one about the quorum of introverts? ;)

I suppose the extroverts will find it the hardest in this situation. I'm an introvert, but I think there's room in the world for everyone. As they say, it would be very boring if we were all the same.

Griff 03-24-2020 08:42 AM

I do believe there is room for everyone, I just think introverts have been largely excluded from fields like politics to everyone's detriment.

Squawk 03-24-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1049195)
I do believe there is room for everyone, I just think introverts have been largely excluded from fields like politics to everyone's detriment.

Yes, when you look at Trump and (Boris) Johnson I see your point. We had John Major back in the Nineties who must count as an introvert. Also there was Ed Miliband who led the Labour party recently, but he didn't get elected into government as leader. I don't know if you have to be an introvert to be a good politician. You certainly need principles, and also some pragmatism. And a very thick skin.

Carruthers 03-24-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1049192)
Is this our moment? Telecommuting, social isolation, and a growth of quiet reason over rhetoric, can it be that the world so dominated by extrovert's bullshit and bluster could edge toward calm, quiet competence?

Gilbert and Sullivan were on to something in 1889:

Quote:

In a contemplative fashion,

And a tranquil frame of mind,

Free from every kind of passion,

Some solution let us find.

Let us grasp the situation,

Solve the complicated plot –

Quiet, calm deliberation

Disentangles every knot.
Link

The Gondoliers

Gravdigr 03-24-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

...where the introverts stare at their shoes, and the extroverts stare at your shoes...

Carruthers 03-25-2020 05:11 AM

I was listening to a radio phone in about the pandemic last night, and one woman finished her call by saying that as one of the twenty per cent of the population who are introverts, she was enjoying her current isolation.

Only twenty per cent? The others must be keeping their heads down.

Clodfobble 03-25-2020 07:14 AM

A lot of so-called introverts are actually just misanthropes who absolutely need other people around--so they can brag to them about being introverts.

Griff 03-27-2020 01:52 PM

Extroverts, the struggle is real. I sorta know these people.

https://wbng.com/2020/03/26/endicott...r-front-porch/

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2020 11:41 PM

Yup, a woman on Cape Cod who's heavily involved in all the community groups/activities and goes out and about every day, was bitching all her friends had deserted her because nobody would meet her for lunch or go shopping with her. She was going stir crazy after two days in a row not leaving the house.

Clodfobble 03-28-2020 07:30 AM

This random woman accosted me in line at the pharmacy last night, going on an involved rant about how she got yelled at for going in the wrong entrance, "ma'am I'll have you know I'm a disabled veteran" (could have fooled me), "so I got my phone out to take a picture of her and she RAN away", all smug nods as if I'm on her side, meanwhile she's inching closer and closer into my personal space as I'm trying to subtly back away... Fortunately the pharmacist saved me by declaring that mine was ready and calling me up to the register before she'd even finished dealing with Crazy Lady. I doubt she's a party to be around even on a good day, but she's clearly hurting for social interaction right now.

Griff 03-28-2020 07:40 AM

A good tactic is wearing a mask. I was given my personal space on my grocery run yesterday because they figure you must be sick. Pete made me one.

glatt 03-28-2020 08:28 AM

My wife wore one of my dust masks to the grocery store yesterday and everyone was giving her a wide berth. It really works.

sexobon 03-28-2020 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm updating my picture on all of my photo IDs.

Attachment 70135