The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Request for Recipes (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31282)

glatt 07-06-2016 12:06 PM

sounds yummy

bbro 08-08-2016 12:24 PM

Had a major fail this weekend with pork butt. I tried to slow cook it in the oven. It still came out tough :( I've got it all shredded, but it isn't good. I am thinking of dumping it in a pot and letting it simmer in some BBQ sauce to see if that will help. Any other ideas?

limey 08-08-2016 04:30 PM

Sounds good. Leave it for two or three hours on the lowest heat you can manage?

Sent by thought transference

bbro 08-08-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 966158)
Sounds good. Leave it for two or three hours on the lowest heat you can manage?

That's my thought. I'm working from home tomorrow, so I can leave it on the stove.

Happy Monkey 08-08-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 966137)
I am thinking of dumping it in a pot and letting it simmer in some BBQ sauce to see if that will help.

How could it not?

monster 08-08-2016 07:06 PM

you could also marinade some in soy sauce/ginger.whatever and then add in at the end of a stir fry

BigV 08-08-2016 09:05 PM

I don't think more cooking already toughened meat will make it awesome. But, you can help it... I've helped it when I cooked country style pork ribs too fast. The biggest single factor in that rescue was to cut the pork very thinly, this is easiest when cold, like refrigerated cold. Then when you re-cook/re-heat, it only has a small thickness to go through, and it makes shredding/mauling, easier.

THEN, the lesson I learned is that I don't have enough patience to prepare, cook while watching, pork butt. That is something that needs to be put on super low, then walk the hell away and do something else.
Like the olympics. or go to bed. use a crockpot. falling apart tender does not happen from getting off work to dinnertime the same night, neverever.

Doesn't mean you can't have tasty pork covered in tasty bbq sauce, it just won't be lovely shredded pork.

limey 08-09-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 966175)
I don't think more cooking already toughened meat will make it awesome ...

Cooking meat slowly at low temperatures causes the fat and connective tissue in the meat to melt and become tender -- perfect for stews, soups and pulled pork. I believe the meat was already tough before cooking, and was not cooked for long enough.

BigV 08-09-2016 12:12 PM

Pork butt is not a tough cut of meat, generally speaking. If the meat is cooked quickly, the proteins coil up and the same amount of meat gets smaller and tighter. Tougher. Once it's been changed this way, more cooking won't loosen it up.

But the meat might still be tough because it's undercooked, I find that unlikely. In that case, more cooking might loosen it up. Brisket is a tough cut, and takes forever at low temps to cook to tenderness. Pork butt, much less so.

limey 08-10-2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 966197)
Pork butt is not a tough cut of meat, generally speaking. If the meat is cooked quickly, the proteins coil up and the same amount of meat gets smaller and tighter. Tougher. Once it's been changed this way, more cooking won't loosen it up.

But the meat might still be tough because it's undercooked, I find that unlikely. In that case, more cooking might loosen it up. Brisket is a tough cut, and takes forever at low temps to cook to tenderness. Pork butt, much less so.

Thanks. Pigs do not have "butts" in this country, so I'm not sure what pork butt is (though I agree pig meat is not usually all that tough). I lurve brisket braised in a slow cooker! :drool:

bbro 08-10-2016 10:49 AM

It worked out ok. I didn't think it would because it was smelly in the beginning. Like over-cooked smelly. But, I persevered and let it sit in BBQ sauce and some veggie broth. When it was done, I was able to easily shred the big pieces like I wanted to. Now, I just have to figure out how to serve it - lol.

limey - pork butt is pork shoulder. No clue why it's called a butt.

footfootfoot 08-10-2016 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dat be da butt, Bob.

Gravdigr 08-10-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 966275)
limey - pork butt is pork shoulder. No clue why it's called a butt.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

In pre-revolutionary New England and into the American Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog", like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston butt".

limey 08-10-2016 05:38 PM

Thanks bbro and grav. Very interesting!

bbro 08-12-2016 08:15 AM

Whose got some good chicken recipes? No plain chicken - I have plenty of seasoning and can "grill" them that way. I am looking for different things. Chicken with sauce or in sauce or something I can serve over rice, pasta, or potatoes is good. Extra points for healthy fried chicken that doesn't involve spraying the food with Pam (shudder). No beans or avocado or chunky tomatoes or olives or weird veggies. And I tend to stick to chicken breast.

Thanks for the help!