The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Global Warmists back off on prediction (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14187)

Griff 05-15-2007 06:59 AM

Global Warmists back off on prediction

Guess what? The earth's climate is kind of stable. Yes, global warming could be a problem, but we know that despite Al Gore's phoney charts, the earth has been warmer quite recently than it is now. Anyway, at least we can take this particular bit of paranoia off the table... unless these computer models are as bad as the previous ones. *dulp!*

OSLO — Mainstream climatologists who have feared that global warming could have the paradoxical effect of cooling northwestern Europe or even plunging it into a small ice age have stopped worrying about that particular disaster, although it retains a vivid hold on the public imagination.

glatt 05-15-2007 07:24 AM

This is interesting, because I just read in the paper yesterday that NASA has just completed some computer modeling that was too late to include in the inter-government panel's report a couple months ago. Their models show that the effects of global warming will be far worse much sooner than anyone else had predicted.

I'll see if I can dig that up.

Griff 05-15-2007 07:28 AM

I think the NASA model shows things getting hotter faster. This doesn't dispute that, they're just saying Northern Europe won't get cold from the changing current temp.

glatt 05-15-2007 07:50 AM

It will be interesting to see the changes in localized weather patterns as the average global temperature rises. The article about the NASA model said that for the Eastern US seaboard, the changes would not be good at all. Instead of summer temps in the upper 80s they were talking about summer temps over 100 for extended periods of time. This is by the end of the century.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2007 10:44 AM

They had a guy on the news over the weekend that was predicting 108 deg F for the East Coast Summers.

A hundred years from now.

Happy Monkey 05-15-2007 12:08 PM

Up ten degrees in 70 years. That's a hell of a lot.

But hey, we'll probably be dead by then. Our kids will probably invent a fix-everything ray in the last minute. Anything we do now is just wasting money.

Beestie 05-15-2007 12:56 PM

The unfortunate fact is that we really have no freakin' idea what the climate will be like in 10, 50 or 250 years. However, it does make good sense not to screw with the atmosphere or the oceans too much so we should probably just stick with that.

Less fortunate still is the sad fact that because there is so much static about who's right/wrong that even if someone did produce a correct model, we wouldn't even know it.

piercehawkeye45 05-15-2007 03:06 PM

Equation for global warming.

X = Man made global warming

Y = Natural global warming

X + Y =10

Find X

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

snip~even if someone did produce a correct model, we wouldn't even know it.
Nor would they.

Happy Monkey 05-15-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 (Post 343629)

X + Y =10

Find X

And as long as there's uncertainty about X, we should assume it's zero and not do anything.

piercehawkeye45 05-15-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 343638)
And as long as there's uncertainty about X, we should assume it's zero and not do anything.

Well, we always have the fix-everything ray if we are wrong.

Flint 05-15-2007 04:12 PM

I thought, maybe our kids should invent a time-machine, and bring the fix-everything-ray back here, but then I guess if they do that, they'd have done that, and everything could be fixed already. then I thought maybe there is a reason for that not happening yet, and then I thought there's a reason for everything, because The Lord works in mysterious ways. So, in conclusion, yeah we should just do nothing.

Aliantha 05-15-2007 07:37 PM

I think our creator is just about ready to throw the ant farm of humanity into the garbage.

Haven't you noticed he hasn't been watering us with the same care as he once did?

Beestie 05-15-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 (Post 343629)

X + Y =10

Find X

Why do X and Y sum to a constant? I think its...

X + Y = Z

Solve for Z.

piercehawkeye45 05-15-2007 09:04 PM

We can calculate the total global warming but we can't calculate why the Earth is warming. I pretty sure most people agree that the Earth is warming and that is backed by scientific fact.

What we don't know is why the Earth is warming. That is the point of the two variables and why I made the point that it is impossible to calculate X without Y and why it is impossible to calculate Y without X.

To get to the point, even though both variables do add to global warming, we can not say what is causing how much warming so it is a flawed argument to say that global warming is man-made or natural made. It just annoys me when people say "global warming is because of this" when they have no proof to back it up with.