The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pre-filled Easter Eggs... laziest things (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13618)

melidasaur 03-19-2007 04:34 PM

Pre-filled Easter Eggs... laziest things

How lazy has society become - pre-filled easter eggs!!!!! I mean, for real - is it that hard to open a plastic egg and put a few pieces of candy in it?

So, time to share - what products do you think are contributing to the laziness of society? or is there something that you wish would be invented to make you just a bit lazier.

I enjoy filling easter eggs...

monster 03-19-2007 10:46 PM

Actually those eggs can be pretty nasty to open and close. If I'd Americanized enough not to say "Bollocks to that we don't celbrate easter in any way shape or form", I might consider paying more for them to be prefilled. But I'm too lazy/mean/British/environmentally friendly to buy new ones each year, so pre-filled would not be an option. Also we don't use them for easter -they make great dinosaur/shark eggs etc for themed birthday party treasure hunts -but only whem filled with our special treasures.

monster 03-19-2007 10:51 PM

My laziest thing is using the drive-thru. It usually takes longer than going into the building, so I have to be feeling pretty bloody lazy to take that option.

Aliantha 03-20-2007 12:55 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. All the eggs we get here for easter are chocolate. I don't mind breaking a few of those open at easter time.

wolf 03-20-2007 01:07 AM

Prefilled Plastic Easter Eggs are the Springtime version of those nylon net Christmas stockings. Not great, but not the worst possible option.

True laziness is buying colored-before-you-buy-them chicken's eggs. My local convenience store sells them.

I also have issues with any method of home-based egg dying that does not involve margarine tubs, vinegar, and tablets of dye that fizz when they hit the vinegar. Eggs should then be precariously dipped into the dye using a piece of bent wire. Particularly skillful dyers may do bi and tricolor striped eggs using these limited tools. Designs scrawled on the egg in white crayon before dying are also acceptable.

Cups with the dye that releases from the plastic, or worse still, the plastic sleeves that you slide onto the eggs and boil into a sort of Eastery shrink wrap are cheating.

Oh, man. Now I have to hit the store and grab the basic Paas kit.

Aliantha 03-20-2007 01:15 AM

Hmmmm....we don't do egg dying over here too although I've heard of this tradition before.

Sundae 03-20-2007 07:21 AM

We used to have an egg painting competition every year when I was in the Brownies (and every year I used to be furious because I was sure the winner had had parental help - sore loser)

Being pretty lazy myself I'm all for modern conveniences. One step too far for me was pre-filled rolls. By Warburtons I think - the filling was actually baked inside them to save you having to bother with a knife and a piece of cheese. However I did fill my boots when they were being sampled in my local supermarket. I don't make moral judgements if it's offered free.

monster 03-20-2007 08:41 AM

http://www.livingonadime.com/images/plasticeggs.jpg

They are filled with small sweets and scattered over fields and parks for children to participate in Egg hunts/fights. It's like Halloween at Easter -the little 'uns carry pastel-coloured wicker baskets to collect them and sometimes wear bunny ears, the big kids are on a mission with a pillowcase.

Perry Winkle 03-20-2007 10:09 AM

I want to make a documentary where I eat nothing but seasonal candy for an entire year...Kinda like that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for whatever amount of time.

Sheldonrs 03-20-2007 10:36 AM

Aren't eggs, as a rule, usually pre-filled by the chicken?

So really, it's you DIY people who are breaking with tradition! hehehe

Cyclefrance 03-20-2007 11:11 AM

The only pre- filled eggs here are the Kinder ones (you have those in the States) and Cadbury's Cream-filled eggs, and having the latter who needs anything more???

SteveDallas 03-20-2007 11:13 AM

Lunchables -- overpriced & bad nutritionally. But it's fast!!

piercehawkeye45 03-20-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 324682)

Great for lunches in Elementry School. :D

wolf 03-20-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 324682)

Since they are sold in the refrigerated section, next to the hotdogs, I always have a problem with them. I don't think they are sufficiently shelf-stable to sit in one's cubby for four and a half hours and be eaten in safety. I guess they are the only option, though, with more and more schools being declared peanut-butter free zones.

Sundae 03-20-2007 12:30 PM

Lunchables are banned in many schools in the UK. Peanut butter isn't as far as I'm aware.....

(added this in after as an example)

Full article:
Quote:

Parents have named and shamed foods aimed specifically at children which they believe do them no good at all.

A jury of 800 parents recruited by the independent campaign group, the Food Commission decided that the worst example of a "lunchbox" food was Dairylea Lunchables.

These packs of meat and cheese slice with wheat crackers were described by one parent who took part as: "vile over-processed rubbish."