The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Cloud 04-23-2008 08:03 PM

I'll take my licks, jimbob.

Cloud 04-23-2008 08:04 PM

yeah! bad hair day! (with relief)

lumberjim 04-23-2008 08:06 PM

bala cyndwyd

SteveDallas 04-23-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 447684)
It bugs me when people say "often" without pronouncing the "t."

Wow, you should meet my student... I started tutoring for a local adult literacy program last year. The guy they paired me with has a heavy South Philly accent, and he leaves out a lot of consonants. So first becomes firs', last becomes las', etc. It took some time to get used to. I mean, use to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 447688)
To me, pronouncing the 't' is an affectation--people trying to be highbrow.

eta: I just looked it up, and both pronunciations are in there, but sans-t is the first (preferred) version. I think it has to do with where you're from.

So... pronouncing the "t" is an affectation...

But using "sans" is just plain folks? :angel:

Cloud 04-23-2008 08:38 PM

having a large vocabulary is an asset, not an affectation.

(sticks out tongue)

I know! I know! I'm a wordnerd. I admit it--and that's the first step to getting help!

SteveDallas 04-23-2008 09:11 PM

Oh hey, I'm with you, I like to drag my large vocabulary out, whenever I have a chance.

But not as much as I like to be snarky!

Cloud 04-23-2008 09:16 PM

we have a large vocab because we read SF!

for the rest of you Philistines . . . just kidding!

xoxoxoBruce 04-23-2008 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Sundae 04-24-2008 05:21 AM

I'm really sleepy.
I bought some fondue cheese a while back and decided to have it last night. I was going to eke it out over 3 days, which fits in well with the ehalthy pay-day shop I have planned for Monday - no temptations left in the house.

It was horrible. It tasted bizarrely as if someone had added some big glugs of cheap & nasty vodka to it. I gave up quite quickly and tipped it away. And that's a big thing for me - to actually waste food.

Then later I was hungry and cooked some spicy chicken fillets - not all that bad, but not really health food.

Anyway, the upshot is I got terrible acid reflux when I went to bed. I was awake and in pain for a long time, no indigestion medicine or tablets in the house. I was even tempted to go & ask HM if he'd go to the 24hr supermarket for me - but I knew I would be so upset if he declined it wasn't worth the risk.

I estimate I had about 4 hours sleep in the end :scream:

classicman 04-24-2008 08:52 AM

Thats about par for me lately - 4 hrs sleep. I'm so not getting used to it.

Cloud 04-27-2008 06:36 PM

had to throw away my entire makeup collection today because my sink area was infested with mold. the black kind.

spent $100 on new stuff. (can't re-stock everything right away!); which was kinda fun.

but -- bought a new mirror, got it home, out of the box--cracked. so--back to Target again. ratso!

lookout123 04-28-2008 12:08 PM

1 year old has been sick for four days now. will only sleep if he's able to sit up, hugging my chest. yes, that sounds sweet, but it also means that I haven't really slept in 4 freaking days.

Trilby 04-28-2008 12:15 PM

9 hours last night, thanks for asking.

this is what is mildly irritating me today: Cloud and Cicero seem eerily similar to me---like maybe the same person, though I know they are not.

Cicero 04-28-2008 01:17 PM

::quiet:: ::looks up::
Sorry your false perception is irritating you.

Not that Clouder and I don't have things in common, and Clouder is cool.....but ::buzzer::

We are both awesome (I know I am and so far I think Clouder is)....Why would you be irritated by our mutual awesome?

Cloud 04-28-2008 01:19 PM

we are soul sistahs!